Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I heard Kelly Quinlan interviewed on some radio show last week. He said he figured James Graham to be QB4 at the moment.

According to him, having seen them play a little, Sims was the best dual-threat and Gleason was the best pocket passer (I think he used the term "coach on the field").

I know a lot of posters here seem to think Graham will start again the Noles, because of experience. Any reason to expect something else at this point? Part of me would love to use the "free" season to develop one of the true freshmen, and we could have a 5-year starter on our hands.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I see Gleason and sims starting the most games total, if Gleason starts then I see sims having special play packages just cause of his athletic ability

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
The CDP presser from today said he knew who they were going with (no more ATL?) and I picked up the vibe that graham won’t be starting.
But then again I’m an idiot speculating.
I’m just gonna go with a feeling and say Yates or Gleason

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
To me if CDP isn't saying Graham outright, which we would assume since he was the starter last year, that tells me he likely isn't the starter. I am guessing it will be Sims or Yates.

Deleted member 2897

I agree 100% with his speculation that it’s hard to say which one it would be, other than not JG.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yates is probably right from a leadership standpoint and being in the offense for an entire year, but it will be interesting if Sims is the best athlete, and our PP breaks down, we may need him for his scrambling ability. I am sure Yates can scramble well too if needed, but I figure Sims is a step quicker, but I am not 100% on that.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Yates is probably right from a leadership standpoint and being in the offense for an entire year, but it will be interesting if Sims is the best athlete, and our PP breaks down, we may need him for his scrambling ability. I am sure Yates can scramble well too if needed, but I figure Sims is a step quicker, but I am not 100% on that.

This is exactly why I'm thinking Sims. It's going to be like 2017 when Marshall surprised us, trotting out and torching Tenn, even in our loss.

Even post-3O, the run game is our strength. Use it.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
This is exactly why I'm thinking Sims. It's going to be like 2017 when Marshall surprised us, trotting out and torching Tenn, even in our loss.

Even post-3O, the run game is our strength. Use it.
This is all from what I’ve heard CDP say but...
Do you go with Sims who has freak athleticism but some inconsistencies. Or...do you go with Gleason who is a good decision maker with a nice arm/accuracy but less athleticism?

Or Yates from having a year in the system already?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I think Sims is more than a step quicker, though Yates has some elusiveness.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Sims is more than a step quicker, though Yates has some elusiveness.
Quickness and Elusiveness are pretty different things, for example Patrick Mahomes isn't all the fast but he is elusive. So if Yates isn't our fastest QB but has the best elusiveness I say go with him.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Right now, I’m gonna say Gleason with Sims in with special packaging.
or Sims out right starting with Gleason coming in to get snaps.

Gleason is the prototypical QB for CDP’s system, plus he runs the system to best. Sims is the wild card do to his athleticism. Coach may go with Sims just do to his electricity and excitement. He also has gotten a better handle on the system and if it’s close could just go with Sims do to his X factor.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Quickness and Elusiveness are pretty different things, for example Patrick Mahomes isn't all the fast but he is elusive. So if Yates isn't our fastest QB but has the best elusiveness I say go with him.

Yeah I am not sure which is better on that point

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
A few observational opinions:

- Graham & Yates weren’t recruited by the current coaching staff. Therefore, I see one staying as a backup QB & the other playing another position. Take your pick on which.
- Sims & Gleason are the future of the program at the QB position, or at least that’s what was recruited.

Final Opinion: Sims is the starter with Gleason seeing snaps to decide between the two. For a true freshman QB, this is a great season to come in with little pressure from away fans, etc.

Regardless, the future looks bright!

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
A few observational opinions:

- Graham & Yates weren’t recruited by the current coaching staff. Therefore, I see one staying as a backup QB & the other playing another position. Take your pick on which.
- Sims & Gleason are the future of the program at the QB position, or at least that’s what was recruited.

Final Opinion: Sims is the starter with Gleason seeing snaps to decide between the two. For a true freshman QB, this is a great season to come in with little pressure from away fans, etc.

Regardless, the future looks bright!
I totally agree with you, graham was committed to Virginia tech as a wide receiver before flipping to us so he would switch back or go to DB