Starting QB next year.

Jmonty71

Banned
Looks like we are going to turn into a mixed offense. Requires a QB with a good arm, has an ability to scan the field, use pass progression, an accurate thrower and can detect blitzes. I do not think we have a QB, like that. I would not be shocked to see them recruit a QB and we have a RS Freshman starting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
About 60%, or more, CFB fan bases have the same dilemma. A great QB can either make or break a coach. See CMR, Les Miles, CPJ, Taggart, McElwain, Muschamp, Chizik, and the list could go on and on.
Throw CPJ into the mix as well. With JeT we looked unbeatable at times.

Aside: I really think bad luck with the roster really cost us big time. Yes, all programs experience attrition/injuries, but ours were catastrophic because of who they were and such razor thin depth.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Throw CPJ into the mix as well. With JeT we looked unbeatable at times.

Aside: I really think bad luck with the roster really cost us big time. Yes, all programs experience attrition/injuries, but ours were catastrophic because of who they were and such razor thin depth.
Razor thin depth.
Solutions
1. ( fundamentals from construction safety)
Stop Any attrition that can be avoided!
- MAKE FOOTBALL FUN - everyone involved.
- Accountbilty for roomates- know about each other (Mills) in positive way ( not spy).
- Playing injured hurts the team verses no cry babies. U dont loose spot if injured.
- position coach responsible for walk offs (-)and 5th YEAR SENIORS (+) .
- decide early if 5th year needed - rebalance class load for extra year training - to specific goals.
- have some plays planned for guys that reach specific goals.

2. Better recruiting ( common sense from sales/ staffing
- YES high stars if possible.
- need more players that have p5 offers.
- get a wide audience
- ask families of players to help recruit.
- do all the social media stuff
3 Devlope
1 strength train to specific goals (bench press for ol w short arms way higher than one w long arms) that fit position and player.
2. Teach legal holding picks, pass interference.

Better depth s main benefit
WITH MORE DEPTH HAVE A LITTLE MORE FULL SPEED PRACTICE.

In games our guys look slow to point of attack. They look like they learned everything at 3/4 speed .

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think we saw the type of QB play we need last night from Texas.

Ehlinger was what we have: a good running QB who can pass a little. He really had to wind up to get the ball over 20 yards, but he was accurate with this throws. The main thing was that he was deadly on the ground. We have a bevy at QB that can imitate that with ease. Then it's just a matter of getting things installed. That will probably take a full season or two to do, but if we are willing to let our QB run things will be much easier.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Ehlinger was what we have: a good running QB who can pass a little. He really had to wind up to get the ball over 20 yards, but he was accurate with this throws. The main thing was that he was deadly on the ground. We have a bevy at QB that can imitate that with ease. Then it's just a matter of getting things installed. That will probably take a full season or two to do, but if we are willing to let our QB run things will be much easier.
Agree- running then passing qb is what's available.
Note a review of the majors of u t players shows 90% skate majors. I have given up on run first against uga, clem, and other factories. We will never have enough beef to manhandle them in zone blocking.

We should go with what we have and see if we can pass enough to get some respect. One of these guys could turn out ok.

The Texas hs s where these passing QB s (ut, baylor, etc) come from are near Austin, and new Dallas. These kids grow up running the offense and know it by heart. Reading the defense and making quick decisions takes time.

The more the qb runs the tighter the safety and lb coverage gets against the rb carries. Qb is a point guard that takes the obvious shots and puts others in look good spots

I think LJ has a chance to do it all.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Note a review of the majors of u t players shows 90% skate majors. I have given up on run first against uga, clem, and other factories. We will never have enough beef to manhandle them in zone blocking.

We should go with what we have and see if we can pass enough to get some respect. One of these guys could turn out ok.

The Texas hs s where these passing QB s (ut, baylor, etc) come from are near Austin, and new Dallas. These kids grow up running the offense and know it by heart. Reading the defense and making quick decisions takes time.

The more the qb runs the tighter the safety and lb coverage gets against the rb carries. Qb is a point guard that takes the obvious shots and puts others in look good spots

I also agree but the defense will need to play like Texas did last night

vpjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Yates would have a good shot at QB if he were an early enrollee. However, he won't arrive on campus until the summer which puts him in a tough position for a true Freshman. As good as Lawrence (Clemson) & Fromm (UGA) are they went through Spring drills and still didn't start the first game. An experienced grad transfer or health Lucas Johnson would appear to be in the best position to be the Jackets starting QB 2019.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck

Ehlinger threw for 3500 yards and 25 TDS. He’s much more of a passer than runner.

He ran for 482 and mostly was a short yardage/goaline option.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I mean LJ & Graham can play qb.
Graham probably is the more explosive runner.
LJ probably the better passer.

I’d like a more OLinemen.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Spread passing offenses with RPO and Inside/Outside zone read options are so prevelent in HS these days. I wrote in another thread that one of the reason why CPJ struggled with recruiting is his tenure at GT started at the same time those offenses started to spread on the HS level. QBs have gotten so much better at passing the ball and reading defenses. Colleges adjusted with the talent available. Dual threat guys who had to change positions now had MANY more options on the college level. Guys like David Cutcliffe who use to put a premium on dropback statue passers started recruiting more dual threat guys...in turn, the QB market get tighter for schools like GT. WRs and RBs were more use to playing in wide open offenses and found plenty of schools that catered to their talent as opposed to going to a run heavy school like GT.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Until we know positively what offense we are going to run no can say. If it's something like Auburn runs I feel any QB we have will be fine. If it's what I call a real Pro offense where the QB is use to only pass and they don't want him to run unless it's a scramble under pressure than we could have a problem.
It would be a ginormous mistake for Patenaude to take the QB run off the table when the talent on the roster is built to take advantage of a mobile QB. From all the talk so far, we're allegedly planning to design an offense to take advantage of what we have instead of trying to fit them into different system. If that isn't completely untrue, we'll still feature mobile QBs as a threat.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I almost forgot how fun his highlights were. OUCH...

This dude is a murderer when he hits people, but dang he's got to improve his get-off at the snap. In most of the clips where he's playing on the line, he's the last one up and sometimes by almost a full second. Maybe he'd be better on offense where he knows the snap count instead of reacting, but that definitely needs to improve.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It would be a ginormous mistake for Patenaude to take the QB run off the table when the talent on the roster is built to take advantage of a mobile QB. From all the talk so far, we're allegedly planning to design an offense to take advantage of what we have instead of trying to fit them into different system. If that isn't completely untrue, we'll still feature mobile QBs as a threat.

In this day and age, if you don't take advantage of the QB in the run game, and as a threat to run the ball in passing situations, you're making it harder on yourself. Dual threat QBs and the option or threat of it helps tilt game towards the offense.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Razor thin depth.
Solutions
1. ( fundamentals from construction safety)
Stop Any attrition that can be avoided!
- MAKE FOOTBALL FUN - everyone involved.
- Accountbilty for roomates- know about each other (Mills) in positive way ( not spy).
- Playing injured hurts the team verses no cry babies. U dont loose spot if injured.
- position coach responsible for walk offs (-)and 5th YEAR SENIORS (+) .
- decide early if 5th year needed - rebalance class load for extra year training - to specific goals.
- have some plays planned for guys that reach specific goals.

2. Better recruiting ( common sense from sales/ staffing
- YES high stars if possible.
- need more players that have p5 offers.
- get a wide audience
- ask families of players to help recruit.
- do all the social media stuff
3 Devlope
1 strength train to specific goals (bench press for ol w short arms way higher than one w long arms) that fit position and player.
2. Teach legal holding picks, pass interference.

Better depth s main benefit
WITH MORE DEPTH HAVE A LITTLE MORE FULL SPEED PRACTICE.

In games our guys look slow to point of attack. They look like they learned everything at 3/4 speed .

Good thoughts.I really like somebody being responsible for guys LEAVING before eligibility expires.PJ had a TERRIBLE record with losing guys (and some really good ones left).. 32% from 12-'16 --,so far.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Tebow was one hell of a passer as well. Ehlinger is nowhere close to being as good as Tebow

Sophomore Passing Stats
Tebow 3286 yards 32 tds 6 ints 66.9% comp
Ehlinger 3292 yards 25 tds 5 ints 64.7% comp

Rushing Stats
Tebow 210 rushes 895 yards 23 tds
Ehlinger 164 rushes 482 yards 16 tds

Looks to me like Ehlinger doesn't has to take much of a back seat to Tebow