Star Debate/Ratings thread

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
WR in this offense has to mean something in out offense since we have put 2 WR's in the league out of the CPJ offense...soon to be 3. I wonder how many other pro style college offense have done that.

3 already including Cone. Smelter will make the league easily (just hopefully he waits until the end of next season) and I could see Waller being a combine monster like Hill was.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing... For every "project" that turns our good or bad, there is the same amount of "sure thing" players that pan out good or bad. Its a crap shoot.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
this one is a huge S T R E T C H !!!!

Calling B.S. on this response, I will trust the coaches... While I am not the biggest fan of the offense we run, CPJ has proven to take guys later on in the recruiting season that turn out to be GREAT players for us.

Paul Davis
Adam Gotsis
Lynn Griffin
Freddie Burden
Anthony Autry
Jamal golden
Tony Zenon
Deon Hill

All were taken "late" in the process near the end of their classes and all were either said to be a stretch or a reach. All have turned out to be great players... and lets not forget about Robert G...

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
All I am saying is this results in an average of 7 wins. If you are happy with that ok. It takes a class like 2007 year in and year out to get to 9 or 10 wins on average. That is fact!

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Calling B.S. on this response, I will trust the coaches... While I am not the biggest fan of the offense we run, CPJ has proven to take guys later on in the recruiting season that turn out to be GREAT players for us.

Paul Davis
Adam Gotsis
Lynn Griffin
Freddie Burden
Anthony Autry
Jamal golden
Tony Zenon
Deon Hill

All were taken "late" in the process near the end of their classes and all were either said to be a stretch or a reach. All have turned out to be great players... and lets not forget about Robert G...
I wouldn't call any of those players GREAT yet. Gostis is the only starter on that list. Golden has been a solid kick returner but I'm not impressed with his coverage abilities. I'd say that the list has some contributors on it, but to say that those players are "GREAT" is a stretchhh

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I will give you an example.We have several off. lineman commited now. Before I go further with this. I will say that I am very happy with these guys. But if I had to make a choice between anyone of these guys and David Sharpe. There is NO DOUBT who I would take. Now what I am saying is this is before we seem them on a cllege team.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't call any of those players GREAT yet. Gostis is the only starter on that list. Golden has been a solid kick returner but I'm not impressed with his coverage abilities. I'd say that the list has some contributors on it, but to say that those players are "GREAT" is a stretchhh

I agree with this... And add that we land several "contributors" in recruiting and a small amount of BCS Play Makers... Sorry, just keeping it real guys.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
This is not a late take so I don't know what you guys are talking about. We still have 3 freaking months until signing day and we are taking him when we are technically full already. Obviously the coaches see something great in him and at this point I have no reason to doubt someone that Roof wants for his defense. Do you???

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I do not understand the love of stars. Who assigns the stars? Chad Simmons at Scout whose expertise is that he played in the band? Please!
UGA's "Dream Team" of 2011 is 5 - 3 on the season so far. If a coaching staff accepts a commitment 3 months before signing day, they probably like the recruit. They are not "desperate" for a recruit at this time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand why it keeps getting ignored that Eric is saying the staff likes him more than the other guys. This is significant as we all know we do not have many spots left.

I don't think it's being ignored really. Jayparr just seems to think that the rating services are simply better finders and evaluaters of talent than our staff. If they haven't found and evaluated a kid, it's counted in his thinking as them rating him low, iiuc.

ToddM

The stars rating system helps those of us who aren't up on the finer evaluation points on a guys talent level. Not that they are without fault or the final word. For me it's a general and collective opinion and it helps me understand the general talent level of a guy coming in. Now with that said I do trust guys like Eric who are closer to the facts.

So if we signed a 5 star I would think WOW ! Good get but then if Eric came in and said the guy was slow on cut blocking I would think something like Hummm that may not be good for us.

It's just helps in looking at the big pic.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
The stars rating system helps those of us who aren't up on the finer evaluation points on a guys talent level. Not that they are without fault or the final word. For me it's a general and collective opinion and it helps me understand the general talent level of a guy coming in. Now with that said I do trust guys like Eric who are closer to the facts.

So if we signed a 5 star I would think WOW ! Good get but then if Eric came in and said the guy was slow on cut blocking I would think something like Hummm that may not be good for us.

It's just helps in looking at the big pic.