Stansbury

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We can agree that at other schools, CGC would have been fired. But a job that ADTS has is to oversee the finances of GTAA. The money isn't there to pay out 7 million to 1 guy AND untold millions to a new staff. Sometimes a decision based only on money can backfire, but I believe that it's easier for him to hitch his wagon to CGC for 1 more year, much more manageable buyout, than to come out and say we don't have the money.
Sidenote: I dont believe that a midseason firing is good. It rarely gets you the guy you wanted because no one wants to work for a boss that makes knee jerk reactions. UConn fired their coach 3 games into the year and got Jim Mora. What kids wants to play for Jim Mora? LSU fired O midway through the season and they still dont have a coach, whiffing on all the big names. So we should expect to have CGC until at least the day after Clean Old Fashioned Hate 2022.
My understanding of the contract is that the buyout won't decrease until the end of the 2022 season, so a midseason firing next year is even worse than firing him now. It costs the same money, we lose a full year, and as you said it increases difficulty in finding a replacement. I don't see any way that CGC will be fired before the end of next season if he isn't fired before January.

Just my opinion, but I am doubtful we would be able to bring in someone impactful this year. Plenty of schools are looking for coaches now so there is a lot of competition. I would be disappointed IF: the rumors about having money for the buyout are true and TStan didn't at least float feelers around to see what might be available. I did say that I am disappointed the HC wasn't let go this year, but I don't know all of the factors that went into that decision.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Good Football raises all ships. It is the face of almost every program not named Duke, Kentucky, or UNC. Name any college and your first thought is usually about their FB program.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
First, I have no idea why he picked CGC maybe it was the money people who push it. I wasn't crazy about a 7 year deal to a coach that had only had 2 years as a head coach, But no matter the reason he kind of had to do what he did. Think a minute you hire a coach for 7 years and fire him after 3 years who in their right mind would want to work for someone like that who fired a coach after year 3 with 7 years on his contract. So he had to make choice fire CGC and make some fans happy or keep him save the money hope he can find a good OC and DC. How much say so he will have in who the DC and OC is I have no idea but now you have to let CGC do the picking. I know some say if CGC doesn't work out Tstan will lose his job, but has anyone really heard that said by someone who could fire Tstan ?
For the record, I would work for a boss who was capable of admitting a mistake and moving on versus one who stubbornly sticks to a bad decision insisting that it will eventually work. We all make mistakes. It’s what you do after the mistake that counts.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I will say. For as awful as our football team is right now. The rest of our sports are doing phenomenal and we should be happy about it. Yes the football situation and CGC contract piss me off. But we have a bevy of excellent teams in other sports that Tstan oversees. This sucks. But it isn’t all on Stansbury. I will say he is in hot water now for all of this.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I will say. For as awful as our football team is right now. The rest of our sports are doing phenomenal and we should be happy about it. Yes the football situation and CGC contract piss me off. But we have a bevy of excellent teams in other sports that Tstan oversees. This sucks. But it isn’t all on Stansbury. I will say he is in hot water now for all of this.

If this isn't on Stansbury, who is it on???? He's the one who signed him to a 7 year contract. A 7 year contract. Let me repeat that, a 7 year contract. 😐🙄😯

I love basketball and golf and women's hoops and volleyball and all of it, but football is what drives the bus and we're stuck with a poor choice costing us a lot of money for 3 wins per year.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
If this isn't on Stansbury, who is it on???? He's the one who signed him to a 7 year contract. A 7 year contract. Let me repeat that, a 7 year contract. 😐🙄😯

I love basketball and golf and women's hoops and volleyball and all of it, but football is what drives the bus and we're stuck with a poor choice costing us a lot of money for 3 wins per year.
I never said it wasn’t on him. I just said it’s not entirely on him. Donors and people who have a lot of pull with the GT program were also sold on Collins and his plans. Stansbury inks the checks and is in charge, and he’s gonna have to work his way out of this hole on his own. But don’t act like he was the only one who believed in Collins. He wasn’t the only one involved with bringing him here.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I never said it wasn’t on him. I just said it’s not entirely on him. Donors and people who have a lot of pull with the GT program were also sold on Collins and his plans. Stansbury inks the checks and is in charge, and he’s gonna have to work his way out of this hole on his own. But don’t act like he was the only one who believed in Collins. He wasn’t the only one involved with bringing him here.

You are likely correct that there were "big money guys" who pushed for Collins. If so, they should step up now and all admit their mistakes. Anyone who couldn't see through Collins' act from his initial press conference likely shouldn't be hiring football coaches at GT any longer. Stansbury, big money guys, any of them. This was a disaster from Day 1.

Now I'm going to eat a waffle and think about how good Gibbs was for two years.....

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Take this with a grain of salt ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211129-162218.png
    Screenshot_20211129-162218.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 109

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
1638221490306.png

He and Collins are working together to address whey we fell short of our standards. So in doing that, do they both look in the mirror at the same time or do they take turns??? :rolleyes: ;) 😂🤣

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury seems to be doubling down and really thinks our football program can turn this around much like basketball.
There really must be something going on between him and Collins for him to have this much faith in him .
At this point next season if it's not turned around, both Collins and Stansbury will likely be gone

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury seems to be doubling down and really thinks our football program can turn this around much like basketball.
There really must be something going on between him and Collins for him to have this much faith in him .

My guess, and this is pure speculation, is that when TStan had to make a hire back in 2018 he knew that regardless of who he could get, and was likely going to be able to attract, it was likely we were in for hard time. The only real way to avoid that was to stay within the coaching tree and that was likely not on the table due to the opinions of donators. Anyways, I think that is why he leaned so heavily into the recruiting aspect. The plan was eat the lean years while you improve recruiting. Then, if need be go try and make a splash hire at the OC and/or DC to try and utilize that talent. If that doesn't work out then he was hoping that it would be better to replace someone who brought in talent and then wasted it than someone who was more scheme oriented if that didn't work out.

Offensively, I'm willing to bet what we have seen isn't out of line with the vision he had with the hire and the timeline sets up for a good hire at OC to provide what we need on that side. Losing Gibbs hurts that prospect but it doesn't really change that dynamic of it.

Defense is the side the likely has him at ends as there's no real good reason for why we had the issues we had, especially in the secondary.