Stansbury Seat Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think we would be a great destination for an up and coming assistant coach. He doesn’t have to follow a legend and 8 wins a year will get him a huge contract in the future. Personally, I think the previous coaching search was shoe horned by a well known Tech legend. Open it up nation wide and you would get dozens of candidates to pick from. Or we can repeat our mistakes.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think we would be a great destination for an up and coming assistant coach. He doesn’t have to follow a legend and 8 wins a year will get him a huge contract in the future. Personally, I think the previous coaching search was shoe horned by a well known Tech legend. Open it up nation wide and you would get dozens of candidates to pick from. Or we can repeat our mistakes.

We are in a far better place to hire a quality coach this time around than we were when CPJ retired. A lot of coaches wanted no part of the rebuild involved. With more "mainstream" talent stocking the offensive depth chart now, we aren't the total rebuild we were in 2019. If CGC doesn't pull it together this year and is let go, finding a quality replacement will be a lot easier.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We are in a far better place to hire a quality coach this time around than we were when CPJ retired. A lot of coaches wanted no part of the rebuild involved. With more "mainstream" talent stocking the offensive depth chart now, we aren't the total rebuild we were in 2019. If CGC doesn't pull it together this year and is let go, finding a quality replacement will be a lot easier.
I hope we see cgc prove he is a defensive Wizard.
If not, I hope we don't turn over down the whole apple cart.
Cgc has us in a good place to replace him. We changed DC every 2-3 years in past. Changing out Thack this year would have a new defense as a give it time ..
I like that he has said the 4th year defense is all on me.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I added pass attempts and run attempts. That excludes plays like punts, FG kicks, etc which were obviously not designed to be run/pass. Stats sourced from ESPN. All QB attempts pls all RB attemts. Run attempts/total attempts
pdd I did it on an iPad while sitting in a meeting, so I might have missed on one, but I doubt on all three.
I used Sports Reference.com and I had looked at RR.com and they matched up except for 1 play. I was real interested in your original numbers because those percentages shocked me. I felt, no way it could be that high a percentage of runs. I checked again & I believe you may have used pass completions not attempts.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From the AJC... mention of Todd but really about CGC

About hot seats

Betonline labels Geoff Collins’ job at Georgia Tech as the ACC’s second-most-perilous, trailing only Dino Babers of Syracuse. The assembled ACC media picked the Yellow Jackets to finish sixth among the seven ACC Coastal teams, trailing only Duke.
We can’t say Collins has been inconsistent. His first, second and third teams each won three games. I’m not sure he’ll get fired if Year 4 ends with the Jackets 3-9. He has a seven-year contract. (Should we mention that Tech is terrible at contracts?)
The best thing Collins has done was sell his bosses on the notion that Tech’s rebuild was among the more problematic in the history of humankind. He succeeded Paul Johnson, who inherited the program from Chan Gailey, who never had a losing season but didn’t beat Georgia. Johnson’s first Tech team won nine games and beat Georgia. In Collins’ first three games against the Bulldogs, his team has been outscored 142-28.
After last season, athletic director Todd Stansbury said: “I have my man.” Not all Tech fans share that sentiment, but Stansbury holds the vote that matters. The guess is that he’ll continue to give Collins the benefit of every doubt. Not saying that’s what I’d do. Just saying it’s what I think the AD will do, assuming he’s still AD.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
From the AJC... mention of Todd but really about CGC

About hot seats

Betonline labels Geoff Collins’ job at Georgia Tech as the ACC’s second-most-perilous, trailing only Dino Babers of Syracuse. The assembled ACC media picked the Yellow Jackets to finish sixth among the seven ACC Coastal teams, trailing only Duke.
We can’t say Collins has been inconsistent. His first, second and third teams each won three games. I’m not sure he’ll get fired if Year 4 ends with the Jackets 3-9. He has a seven-year contract. (Should we mention that Tech is terrible at contracts?)
The best thing Collins has done was sell his bosses on the notion that Tech’s rebuild was among the more problematic in the history of humankind. He succeeded Paul Johnson, who inherited the program from Chan Gailey, who never had a losing season but didn’t beat Georgia. Johnson’s first Tech team won nine games and beat Georgia. In Collins’ first three games against the Bulldogs, his team has been outscored 142-28.
After last season, athletic director Todd Stansbury said: “I have my man.” Not all Tech fans share that sentiment, but Stansbury holds the vote that matters. The guess is that he’ll continue to give Collins the benefit of every doubt. Not saying that’s what I’d do. Just saying it’s what I think the AD will do, assuming he’s still AD.
What quality research they must have done, to not realize Geoff has only played uga twice and the total scoring is 97-7.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The guess is that he’ll continue to give Collins the benefit of every doubt. Not saying that’s what I’d do. Just saying it’s what I think the AD will do, assuming he’s still AD.
Meh. I recall Bud Peterson saying two things. One ... "I am not going to spend a lot of time on 400 student athletes at the expense of the 25,000 students I have responsibility for" and ... Two, "My only obligation to Georgia Tech athletics is to hire the Athletics Director. Nothing more."

That's the core problem. The Hill, and it's leadership, just doesn't care. If the entire athletics program shut down tomorrow, no one on the academic side or up on the Hill would care. That's why there is no accountability.

The alumni want to win. The Hill ... that's a different conversation.

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Meh. I recall Bud Peterson saying two things. One ... "I am not going to spend a lot of time on 400 student athletes at the expense of the 25,000 students I have responsibility for" and ... Two, "My only obligation to Georgia Tech athletics is to hire the Athletics Director. Nothing more."

That's the core problem. The Hill, and it's leadership, just doesn't care. If the entire athletics program shut down tomorrow, no one on the academic side or up on the Hill would care. That's why there is no accountability.

The alumni want to win. The Hill ... that's a different conversation.
I attended a GTAA weekend retreat in the NC mountains with prospective high donors where Bud made his speech/appeal for their money. After his spiel I asked about the football team and he told us the same thing-that the football team were essentially just a gnat on an elephant compared to what he managed. At the time, football things were going ok but I thought what an arrogant lack of understanding what the sports programs meant to the 30 older alumni folks there.

Then it came out his cronies were all on the take and recently it comes out he turned down the Big10 offer. If this program dies it’s on him. Too bad Val wasn’t president. She got it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I attended a GTAA weekend retreat in the NC mountains with prospective high donors where Bud made his speech/appeal for their money. After his spiel I asked about the football team and he told us the same thing-that the football team were essentially just a gnat on an elephant compared to what he managed. At the time, football things were going ok but I thought what an arrogant lack of understanding what the sports programs meant to the 30 older alumni folks there.

Then it came out his cronies were all on the take and recently it comes out he turned down the Big10 offer. If this program dies it’s on him. Too bad Val wasn’t president. She got it.
He was a typical Teflon manager you see in big oil and gas company.
Always going to another very important meeting and delegating everything.

This guy was the pres of the board of governors of the ncaa. D I d a bang up job of running the meeting.

Sure was glad to go to orange bowls.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
So do you think Collins would have turned down a 5 year deal ? (We’re all playing hypotheticals btw)
At 3mil/year? Yes I think he would have turned down a 5 year deal. Had we offered a higher salary then I think he might have accepted a 5 year deal. Mind you I'm just expressing my opinion and not stating any facts or saying that I have any knowledge of the situation at all.

I think it's probably fair to say that at the time, CGC likely had a pretty high opinion of himself. He probably felt that his star was still on the rise and he was in a good place at Temple to parlay that into another good job that paid better than Temple. I expect he would have felt that, while GT was a great opportunity to test the theories and methods he had in his head for building a program, there was high risk associated with taking a job that, in his mind and many others was a massive transition project. A lot of that is, of course, based on my amateur psychoanalysis and reading of the situation but I'm not too bad at reading people and he just struck me as someone who had supreme confidence in himself and would have believed if he didn't get what he wanted from GT that he'd get another opportunity soon afterwards (soon being relative, maybe another year or two).

Last edited:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think the previous coaching search was shoe horned by a well known Tech legend. Open it up nation wide and you would get dozens of candidates to pick from. Or we can repeat our mistakes.
This is exactly what happened.

At 3mil/year? Yes I think he would have turned down a 5 year deal. Had we offered a higher salary then I think he might have accepted a 5 year deal. Mind you I'm just expressing my opinion and not stating any facts or saying that I have any knowledge of the situation at all.

I think it's probably fair to say that at the time, CGC likely had a pretty high opinion of himself. He probably felt that his star was still on the rise and he was in a good place at Temple to parlay that into another good job that paid better than Temple. I expect he would have felt that, while GT was a great opportunity to test the theories and methods he had in his head for building a program, there was high risk associated with taking a job that, in his mind and many others was a massive transition project. A lot of that is, of course, based on my amateur psychoanalysis and reading of the situation but I'm not too bad at reading people and he just struck me as someone who had supreme confidence in himself and would have believed if he didn't get what he wanted from GT that he'd get another opportunity soon afterwards (soon being relative, maybe another year or two).
He probably firmly believed that but the dude had hit the proverbial glass ceiling. He was going nowhere, going to be destined to join the circle of not quite competent SEC coordinator or coaching clowns that move from one job to another hoping to catch lightning in a bottle twice and reinvigorate their careers. GT smashed the glass and here we are.

JacketFan137

Banned
This is exactly what happened.

He probably firmly believed that but the dude had hit the proverbial glass ceiling. He was going nowhere, going to be destined to join the circle of not quite competent SEC coordinator or coaching clowns that move from one job to another hoping to catch lightning in a bottle twice and reinvigorate their careers. GT smashed the glass and here we are.
far too early to be talking about collins like his career is done and this man will not have any value as a coach the rest of his career. that really makes it seem like you don’t want to have a discussion and makes it seem more like you just want to pile on negativity.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

I told the Alumni Prez--"I'll never give another dime to Tech as long as "Bud" was there for exactly what you said.

slugboy

Staff member
Scott Frost should be available to hire "soon" (if needed) ....he did win a Natty at UCF (just ask them)

Maybe it’s just Northwestern’s year…

Nah, even if it is Northwestern’s year, this is bad for Nebraska

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Scott Frost should be available to hire "soon" (if needed) ....he did win a Natty at UCF (just ask them)

Thank god Nebraska has all that Big 10 money though!! It sure is helping them field a national powerhouse and yearly contender!!!

At the time everybody in the country thought the Frost hire was a good move, especially Nebraska fans I’m sure. Frost came in after an 0-8 year with 6-7, and then 13-0 “national champions.” Then gets hired at his alma mater that had struggled for years. It was a total slam dunk. Now it appears to actually be a dumpster fire. Just goes to show that hindsight is 20/20, and being an AD is hard.

Todd Stansbury is the best AD Georgia Tech has had in a looonngg time. Sure there might be a couple of people out there more capable, but they’re few and far in between, and attracting them to GT probably wouldn’t be easy. Collins hasn’t produced a good season, but if you can’t look back and see why and how his hide came to be then you are just putting blinders on. His whole tenure might be different if he just won that Citadel game. South Carolina threw a walk off touchdown pass to beat ECU last year, and everyone thinks Beamer has them going in the right direction. If they lose that game I’m sure everyone’s opinions are different. Same thing with last year’s NIU game on the season scale rather than his whole tenure. There have definitely been blown opportunities, but to act like the whole system and athletic department needs to be blown up because of it is asinine.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
far too early to be talking about collins like his career is done and this man will not have any value as a coach the rest of his career. that really makes it seem like you don’t want to have a discussion and makes it seem more like you just want to pile on negativity.
Sorry, every comment that doesn't drool over Collins is seen as negative.

I'm saying he didn't have much of anything left of his career when he was at UF. He inherted a great situation and profited from it handsomely. A couple more years and he'd have been run off. UF fans of mine laughed at me for GT taking Collins. They were still reeling from 2017 and the big games during his tenure. I didn't understand why until after year 1 as stats wise he looked decent at UF in 2015-2016. Year 3's defense rounded out the full picture for me. His teams did well against the bottom feeders but they got mauled by Tenn, Alabama, Arkasas, FSU, anyone with a good offensive team during those years. It pissed UF fans off royally. Collins wisely jumped off the UF sinking ship before his impact on the program was fully realized and bagged the top job at Temple when UCF had no interest & for good reason. Most coaches don't get multiple opportunities to coach units where the bench is packed every year with high quality recruits often. His peak of his professional career was and wil alwaysl be Temple, 15-9 as a HC at a 3rd tier school. Add that to the 9-25 at GT and you got 24-34, a 41% winning percentage. That's 5 wins a year and I think most on here would agree he'll eventually regress to the mean. Given ample time, he'll be a 5-7 GT coach unless the ACC teams continue to circle the drain and he doesn't circle with them. There's absolutely no reason to be anything less than 8-5 annually now at GT given the weakness of the ACC Coastal and the ACC in general. When he took over at Temple they had risen about as high as it could go & he demonstrated he could not match Rhule's level of performance. Collins had no game. Rhule left Temple & took Baylor from 1-11 to the Sugar Bowl in 3yrs, that's a great coach. Collins left Temple and GT tanked, massively. Same program, very different results.

I hope Collins works out, but until then we got what we got. I'm too old to have too many more extreme reaches as HCs & he either needs to have the light bulb come on rapidly or hit the road. I'm not sure he's found the switch but with this crop of coaches & the amount of talent on the sidelines if it doesn't happen this year the handwriting will be carved into the wall in very large letters. He's latched himself to Sims like Gailey latched himself to Reggie. He better hope Sims saves his career.

I'll be there damn near every game, maybe going to only miss 2 in person I think as I cannot deconflict UNC and annual Thanksgiving festivites prevents any trip to the cesspool. I'll be watching with my own eyes live to see what happens. As always I'll root for the guys to the end because regardless the coach I'm a GT fan first. I just hate it for the players their memories on The Flats their years, primarily their Junior and Senior years that have been tainted by Collins mismangement of the team. I just want them to win, having given all they give in time on & off the field. 9-25 is not the legacy any of them wanted to leave,

Status
Not open for further replies.