Stansbury hired at NCSU

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
"Wait, I said what about Collins? I've got my man?? Oh crap. I'm screwed. I hate it when they wake me up for an interview or to take a picture for social media" ;)😂🤣:gt::buzz:

View attachment 13875

Hate it for the guy. Alum. Good fundraiser. Screwed the pooch on Collins.
Accepted the job from TF PREZ at half time of Clemson - when we had 26 yds and they had 23 points.

The New Prez - has a real plan and commitment.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Extending Partner was reasonable, and at the point he backed Geoffrey, I don't think he had much choice but to double down.
Agree on the first and completely disagree on your second point...he should have fired Collins. It wouldn't have cost us anymore than it ultimately did, but it did continue to erode fan support.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Extending Partner was reasonable, and at the point he backed Geoffrey, I don't think he had much choice but to double down.

This. IMO, he unfortunately had already made his bed by this point owing to the contract he had signed with CGC. And knowing more than most of us fans about the budget of the AA, he likely had to double down.

It's hard - I still think that CGC's agent raked us over the coals, because "no one wanted to take on the greatest 'rebuild' in college football history." Otherwise, we'd have likely had a much more reasonable contract. Regardless, even with the buyout money supposedly available, I'm thinking there were other circumstances at play that led to him saying "I have no choice but to keep it going." Having a wife who's a Nebraska fan, it's been incredibly interesting to see what a program can do when not saddled with the budgetary issues we've dealt with for the past at least 20 years.

I've made hiring mistakes many times - I'm glad it's never cost me my job. As a Tech man, I'm glad to hear he's landed on his feet, and am hopeful he has a lot of success at NC State.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
He was a goner if he fired Collins after year 3 between football outcomes and fiscal malfeasance. Throwing one more hail mary season to Collins was his best odds of sticking around the Flats.

He made a very challenging built-to-fail FB HC hire, the hire failed as expected (at least in retrospect), and he was shown the door. It’s too bad because our non-revenue sports are as good as I’ve ever seen them and I think he did a decent job fundraising. Ultimately, football is the head honcho. Second-rate, unproven G5 coaches were the only ones on the menu back in 2018.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
He was a goner if he fired Collins after year 3 between football outcomes and fiscal malfeasance. Throwing one more hail mary season to Collins was his best odds of sticking around the Flats.

He made a very challenging built-to-fail FB HC hire, the hire failed as expected (at least in retrospect), and he was shown the door. It’s too bad because our non-revenue sports are as good as I’ve ever seen them and I think he did a decent job fundraising. Ultimately, football is the head honcho. Second-rate, unproven G5 coaches were the only ones on the menu back in 2018.

That isn't actually true about second rate coaches being the only ones available. What happened was more Todd though he was going to be able to sell Wisenhunt easy when he couldn't he scrambled and got sold a bad bill of sale. Johnson was coaching through the bowl game. Todd didn't have to scramble completely.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
That isn't actually true about second rate coaches being the only ones available. What happened was more Todd thought he was going to be able to sell Wisenhunt easy when he couldn't he scrambled and got sold a bad bill of sale. Johnson was coaching through the bowl game. Todd didn't have to scramble completely.
What quality non-TO head coach was interested in taking a low P5 salary with minimal institutional support and an offense who didn’t know how to throw the ball?

TFG was on the tarmac captaining a plane with 1 wing when he signed that contract. Whoever took that gig knew they were effectively ending their head coaching career barring an uncanny ability to turn water into wine.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
What quality non-TO head coach was interested in taking a low P5 salary with minimal institutional support and an offense who didn’t know how to throw the ball?

TFG was on the tarmac captaining a plane with 1 wing when he signed that contract. Whoever took that gig knew they were effectively ending their head coaching career barring an uncanny ability to turn water into wine.
As has been stated numerous times before, if Tech had made a push for Willie Fritz four years ago he would have come. Even better, he already had immensely successful experience transitioning from a Triple Option team to a shotgun spread team (and arguably had a more difficult transition since GA Southern was moving from FCS to FBS at the same time). HE would have been a good hire this time, but he would have been the perfect hire for that time

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

No one, of course. (I leave aside the "quality" of TFG.)

What would have happened if Paul had given TStan the extra year he pleaded for? My guess = he'd still be at Tech and Fritz would be in his fourth year as HC. I'm willing to wager that the reason TStan wanted that extra year to a) soften up the Big Donorsâ„¢ and b) to find an HC who could handle the situation. I.e. Fritz. Or, perhaps, Monken.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As has been stated numerous times before, if Tech had made a push for Willie Fritz four years ago he would have come.

A lot of things have been stated. I'm not certain all of them are based in reality. Collins was the only college guy other than Tony Elliott interested in the job. TStan went with a current HC and proven DC rather than a relatively new CO-OC.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
A lot of things have been stated. I'm not certain all of them are based in reality. Collins was the only college guy other than Tony Elliott interested in the job***. TStan went with a current HC and proven DC rather than a relatively new CO-OC.
That TStan talked to. He was given Fritz and Chadwell's numbers, he never called them.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
That TStan talked to. He was given Fritz and Chadwell's numbers, he never called them.

Not to mention I know that Wisenhunt also gave him a few names when he didn't work out... one of them was Godsey who very much would have left detroit. Not saying it would have gone any better than the allstar offeseason expert but Hiring from the NFL isn't the worse thing in the world.

Not to mention Monken isn't married to a true option scheme out of all of johnson's tree he's done the most variance everywhere he's coached.

Tstan got the collins name form the boosters that didn't want wisenhunt and he punted. His hope likely was geoff could build a staff and the staff would work while geoff recruited dabo style (honestly this was my take with the hire) None of us knew that collins would be so micromanagy he'd screw with every part of his team to its detriment.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
A lot of things have been stated. I'm not certain all of them are based in reality. Collins was the only college guy other than Tony Elliott interested in the job. TStan went with a current HC and proven DC rather than a relatively new CO-OC.
The only college coach interested in the job AND working with the old AD.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
He was supposedly good at women's sports. That's a really big thing at NC St. He'll fit right in and do what he's good at. Leave the men's sports to the men.
One of his lawsuits was for sex discrimination. He's responsible for overseeing football at NCSU, so exact opposite of what you suggest anyways.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
One of his lawsuits was for sex discrimination. He's responsible for overseeing football at NCSU, so exact opposite of what you suggest anyways.
A lot of people sue. Sometimes it gets settled because it's expedient/cheaper than going to trial. Now if he got convicted of something, that would be real news. Now sure if anyone thinks he did better at men's sports than women's during his tenure, but everyone's entitle to their opinion. In my opinion his only successes at GT were in women's sports- Volleyball, Softball, Basketball, Tennis, etc.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not much to do in Raleigh unless he plays golf. Oh, forgot he is Canadian and the Hurricanes are pretty good. The state fair is a big deal in October.
'bout sums it up!

(When we lived in Raleigh, we did enjoy having the state fairgrounds being there and obviously the State Fair. SWMBO has some blue ribbons from the State Fair.)