Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

slugboy

Staff member
We certainly have time to do a professional and expansive search for HC. If necessary, we also have time for AD.

I’ve heard great things about Marvin Lewis.

I’m not hung up on which person we choose. I want us to do it the right way and be competent in who we hire. There should be a couple of photos of bad hires in the room (L****, MBob) to remind us not to go for the guy with the great Powerpoint presentation.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Key as interim... has me nervous but what other options do we have right this minute?

I do not like the situation the Todd is in... stuck between a rock and a hard place. What he created for himself. I'll echo some others here but he has done really good things for other non-revenue sports and has provided a lot of support to those coaches that traditionally can't get any b/c those sports are afterthoughts. Some folks here don't care for that but athletics isn't just football and basketball, but again, many people don't care beyond those 2 sports. If he's liked by coaches of non-revenue sports, then firing him will definitely be a negative impact for those other sports and will impact the institute sports program as a whole.

Also I keep seeing "who would wanna come here to be the coach?" A lot of people. There are always some very hungry coaches out there that just want a chance and would jump at an opportunity to coach at Tech. Yes, even if their ultimate goal is to go to a bigger program... but seriously, who other than certain alumnus coaches wouldn't jump ship to a bigger program?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I want the board to do more than hire and fire.
They need to show they are in the boat.
" U R hired and iceeater1969 already hates u. But we are in this withvu. U fail we all fail."

This is last chance for a once great football program.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Maybe they will announce the elimination of Tech football, since the transition from TO cannot be successfully accomplished. Of course, that would be somewhat anticlimactic since Collins has already decimated the program…
Actually I think that possibly we only have one more chance to return the fball program to decency and that will not be easy. The next coach has 5 yrs to upgrade in this new NIL/prtal era.Even if the big whales step up to fund changes.The new guy has rebuild the team with talent and AD needs to re-enerize the ( from a limited pool) attendees both of which are way down now. We may end up in D-2 if things go well.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly don’t know why so many people are upset about who the IHC is. It won’t matter in 10 weeks. Just get us through this season.
For the players, hopefully they'll view this as an opportunity to be successful and show they can win with good leadership. So, I think it's critical to get the right IHC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We certainly have time to do a professional and expansive search for HC. If necessary, we also have time for AD.

I’ve heard great things about Marvin Lewis.

I’m not hung up on which person we choose. I want us to do it the right way and be competent in who we hire. There should be a couple of photos of bad hires in the room (L****, MBob) to remind us not to go for the guy with the great Powerpoint presentation.

Marvin Lewis is on track for a fantastic career. Unfortunately, he hasn't had to hire or fire a coach yet. He'll make a great P5 AD one day, and hopefully at GT, but it may be too soon for him.

My hope is that we hire from outside GT "lineage". It's time for GT to hire someone to come in with fresh ideas and revamp our entire athletic department. I don't want anyone to come in with mental hurdles because they're use to hearing "its the Tech way". Hire someone from a Group of 5 or FCS type program. Someone who came in, hired good coaches (especially football and basketball coaches), and turned around a good programs at his last stop. GT needs forward thinkers occupying leadership positions in our athletic dept...especially with the tectonic shifts currently underway in college sports.

The next decade will be the one of the most consequential decades in GT sports history. IMO, the next decade will be just as important as leaving the SEC and turning down the B1G. Who we bring to be our next AD will set the stage for GT sports for a long long time. With the ACC media contract set to expire in 2036, now is the time to set up GT in the best position possible once the ACC's GOR expires.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Regardless of what is going on at Bama. The HC job here is a major step backward for O’Brien. It would kill the remainder of his career. When he leaves Bama, it will be the big bucks job he may retire from. At Tech we have to catch guys who are ascending from Power fivers. Who is guaranteeing 6 to 9 million here?
I may be in the minority but I think TStan should stay. He made a bad decision with Collins. But otherwise has been good for the school, fundraising, etc.
Hmmm can he raise the funds to fix his debilitating mistake?

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Key isn't ideal as the interim, was hoping for long. But also remember Key was hired on as assistant head coach. So I think he's technically the next man up

Regarding TStan, he hasn't been all bad but he also got us into this mess with collins then doubled down on his support when the fanbase wanted different

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Actually I think that possibly we only have one more chance to return the fball program to decency and that will not be easy. The next coach has 5 yrs to upgrade in this new NIL/prtal era.Even if the big whales step up to fund changes.The new guy has rebuild the team with talent and AD needs to re-enerize the ( from a limited pool) attendees both of which are way down now. We may end up in D-2 if things go well.
Think about what you are saying.

D2? How on earth do you pay off $200M+ in debt if you are in D2? You'd lose the ACC payouts and basically, be hand to mouth. Not an attractive option.

There are plenty of lesser programs that are navigating the new reality just fine. We need new leadership and ... we will be fine (for Tech. I'm under no illusion we are going to displace a factory.)

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm can he raise the funds to fix his debilitating mistake?
I'm way out on the what if branch here, but if ADTS was made to be the heat shield for the $$ hire, I would raise the money from the same group that funded the bad decision the first time and continue to shield them.

Rich men use money to solve problems precisely because they have the money to help solve the problems. This is where we are, needing $$ to fix an issue.

I'd bet if ADTS survives, he speaks with a stronger voice behind closed doors this time. Might as well, he won't get a third chance.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I can't find his post but somebody made observation that our punter was not 15yds deep...more like 13yds.
I re-watched vid and, yup, our punter is not typical 15 behind LOS...then he has an 3 step motion so he's kicking the ball from about 11-12yds deep..
Long Snap guy can best comment but has depth of punter anything to do with snapper talent.. or has depth changed in 2022 football? (vsersus Dark Ages, when we palyed? LOL)
And our protection blocking is abysmal.....
The punter still takes too long to get the ball off of his foot. If no one teaches that kid how to punt then we have to keep the attackers away from him.

Has anyone else notice this kid kicking left and right footed?