Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I really hope the rumors about Key either are false or that he’s the choice because he’s the only one who wants the job. I’d much rather have Chaney try to right the ship. He has the best resume for head coach out of all the people on our staff.
Chaney doesn’t want the IHC job. He loves his role. As an analyst he only works a few days a week and 0 stress.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
For the people saying why key? I’ll answer it for you
#1 he has the AHC title, the interim job always goes to the person(s) with that title
#2 Who else are you going to choose? Thacker? nope, Long? Hasn’t been here long enough, Alexander? Been here since may, daniels? Same thing, etc
The only other person with a AHC title is David turner and he hasn’t been here that long.
Key is the most qualified person to get it due to knowing tech very well, demands respect, no nonsense unlike Collins, serious when it comes to football unlike Collins, wants to be a HC one day and has the AHC title.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
If the rumors of Collins micromanaging and overruling assistants has some truth to it, maybe … just maybe Thacker is a decent coordinator but was constantly undercut by Collins. Didnt Collins say something like, “I’m known as an elite defensive mind in coaching circles”? So perhaps not surprising he might’ve been the source of all the defensive confusion. I dunno, maybe I’m projecting too much.
Thacker is not good in any way lmao

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We'll see, but personally I think Key is the best pick for iHC, of the current staff.

Has he been a success here as OL coach? No. But none of our coaches under Collins have been successful. Everything I've heard indicates the 'Collins way' was holding back the whole program. And the OL retool was the toughest job in the program. Collins' flash-mod style practices are the antithesis of how an OL needs to train.

Key's well regarded as a coach outside our program. He was on the fast track to a HC job before UCF fell flat in the season he was OC. (Was named HC in waiting at UCF and reportedly offered other jobs.) There were many many problems in the UCF program that year and few were Key's doing. He was well regarded enough as a coach and recruiter to get hired by Saban. And reportedly has had other OL coach offers since he's been here. Which was why he was promoted to AHC.

I would expect the program under him to be more structured and more focused. Which is exactly what I feel like the team needs. Best case the players rally around him and each other and put the program on an upward trajectory for the next coach. And Key improves his resume for his next gig. Worst case, the results are as bad as they were going to be with Collins. And everyone on here who's never forgiven Key for 'negative recruiting' will have another rotten tomato to throw at him.

Long might be a fine pick too, but he hasn't been here as long as Key. Frankly, the offense needs a lot of work. IMHO, better to keep Long focused on the offense.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Any chance this wakes up the hill, and provides more financial support to get us to the middle of the pack in the acc? CPJ was always asking for more help and never got extra money for staff. was the hill ok with 6-7 win average season with the occasional 9 or better season and they thought that we were where we needed to be and there is no need to provide extra money?PLEASE DONT MAKE THIS ANOTHER CPJ VS CGC ARGUMENT
That’s the way it looked from the outside, like they were not all-in on the football program and if they maintained a moderate rate of winning at bargain basement prices they were good.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
1664130968329.jpeg

slugboy

Staff member
When George O’Leary took over as interim HC after L****, we played better, but we still lost. When Tenuta took over for Gailey, we went 0-1 (lost the bowl game).

I'd be happy for instant results, but even if the assistants are talented I still don't expect an overnight transformation of the team. You usually don't dig yourself out of a hole overnight.

The first thing I'm looking for is for the team to stop sabotaging themselves (or at least sabotage themselves a lot less).

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
When George O’Leary took over as interim HC after L****, we played better, but we still lost. When Tenuta took over for Gailey, we went 0-1 (lost the bowl game).

I'd be happy for instant results, but even if the assistants are talented I still don't expect an overnight transformation of the team. You usually don't dig yourself out of a hole overnight.

The first thing I'm looking for is for the team to stop sabotaging themselves (or at least sabotage themselves a lot less).

Can he figure out a punt alignment that won’t have a punt a game blocked? Would be a great start.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
This made me laugh like a govt press conference answer. So, since inflation repeated at 404% last month, the rate of inflation increase was 0, so things are good.

I like the Buck Showalter approach, “I’m not big on putting all these signs up around … Mark Twain … They read them one time, and then they’re just wall space. If I would have one, if I put it up it would say: ‘Play Better.’ I mean, really. You control it. Play better.”

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
View attachment 13156

We obviously throw out 2019 because it was the transition, but after 2020, where were the results? We had a great class in 2020, and regressed right back to where we'd been for a decade.

That 2019 class is much lower now with transfers. Any up date to the stats or are they current?

Collins gets credit for bringing them in and losing to chase them away.