Stansbury Already Doing Work

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
This is great and makes a lot of sense to optimize real estate assuming the payback period isn't 10+ years.

It's funny to me personally however as an intense Tech fan that the "experience" is being in the stadium and us winning the game. I'd watch from a wooden bench on a dirt field and would prefer that no one speak to me while I'm watching and emotionally yelling after each play. But I guess I'm not the typical fan!

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
Hell, yeah. Now let's hope he can find something to do about all those empty gold club level seats in the lower east that the TV cameras inevitably pick up on.
I would like for him to convert that area to traditional season ticket holder seating and then incorporate those former club seats into whatever lifestyle section he comes up with. That way the people who want to watch the game from the stands will get to sit there and look good on television while the ones who want to drink/socialize/watch the game on TV can continue to do it from a new area that is not the focus of the sideline cameras. I'm sure he can even find a way to differentiate the former club ticket holders so that they still feel like they enjoy special status over the other people in the lifestyle section.

If he does put his special section in the south endzone, he can incorporate the terrace there and the boxes on the next level up. I'm sure that he can generate more revenue with an expanded lifestyle section there than the boxes currently generate.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The UCF students were not fans of his cabana but I don't think they are the target for those things so I'm not sure how much their opinions matter.

slugboy

Staff member
I wasn't sure what the concept looked like, so I found this link to the UCF Cabana Club here.
It looks like a nice setup, and there were some popular spots like it at the Ted. If it gets approved/alumni beer in like UCF, I can see it being popular.
original.jpg

original.jpg

I wasn't sure what the concept looked like, so I found this link to the UCF Cabana Club here.
It looks like a nice setup, and there were some popular spots like it at the Ted. If it gets approved/alumni beer in like UCF, I can see it being popular.
original.jpg

original.jpg
The current club section is already approved for beer, but only those sitting in that section can purchase it.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
FSU just opened their new club level seating this year and it's in the upper end zone. We need to do whatever we can to fill those gold seats with fans that want to watch every home game and not just the "big" games. Let the social crowd hang out somewhere else.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
original.jpg

original.jpg
$10.00 Bud Light. Woo hoo!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I come once a year for a game and would absolutely spend the money to be in this section. I have a hard time sitting still on a cramped bench seat for 3-4 hrs. Hell, I'd probably spend the same amount on alcohol that I spent on the tickets.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I love it. Bobby Dodd is such a beautiful, unique stadium. I actually don't see why we don't go a step further and make the pavilion area open year round. Lease space to one of ATL's great bbq joints or H&F and sweetwater/other local brewery & i'd be there 5 times a week. outdoor venue in ATL with good food, drinks, and city views? get that AA balance sheet looking really nice in no time.

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
What is the current club section priced at these days? Those seats offer beer and an area that people can easily access with AC/Heat, TV's, etc. However it is still traditional seating style.

As the article references the Wardlaw building also offers a similar experience all ready with catered food and drinks with an open air experience to watch the game from. How would this be differentiated from that existing experience?

If he wants to do this he should look at a section of less desirable seats like the Upper North section. Decent view of the game from up there but they are usually empty unless its filled with visiting fans.

Overall I am supportive of trying new things but he definitely needs to make absolutely sure there is interest in what he does. Dave Brain ignored all feedback and built the club section at $1500 license/seat and shoved many long time season ticket holders out. His logic was "that is what all of the stadiums do..." GT fans are not your typical football fans and that section was totally undersold for years.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I love it. Bobby Dodd is such a beautiful, unique stadium. I actually don't see why we don't go a step further and make the pavilion area open year round. Lease space to one of ATL's great bbq joints or H&F and sweetwater/other local brewery & i'd be there 5 times a week. outdoor venue in ATL with good food, drinks, and city views? get that AA balance sheet looking really nice in no time.
Sweetwater/fox brothers section.

Connect the upper east with the upper north and have a large partio area. Yes, I said partio. Something similar to he chop shop at turner b

Sell beer in this area and it will pay for itself.

We have to sell out to the young urban Atl population.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Question. To sell alcohol @GF, does it not have to be in a private / paid admission type section? STATE

And is this just a retread of something done at UCF & OSU? We need better than that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And is this just a retread of something done at UCF & OSU? We need better than that.

What is it exactly that we need? I think what we need is a guy who is innovative and understands that there is something needed to attract new fans to the games. I'm for trying new things, even if they were done elsewhere. Being as the guy is a GT grad, I'm going to assume that if this didn't work at his other 2 places, he wouldn't be talking about it again here on the flats.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
This is more geared for young professionals in the ATL metro area I'm thinking.
I'm not altogether opposed to us having something like that so that I can get around Bobby Dodd in my wheelchair in 15 or so years but I believe there are priorities with our limited funds that ought to go towards giving PJ what he thinks he needs for the programs success...near term. I trust TS to have better minds than mine though to crunch the numbers and determine the best course of action.