Stanford is a better program than GT

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
When you're recruiting players, they could care less who won the NC in 1929, so the recent time frame is the most important. The last time GT was relevant in the national championship discussion in the last few weeks of a season was 1990 as far as I can remember. That was before these guys were even alive.

And when was Stanford relevant in the National Championship?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
So your answer for the time frame in determining which is the better program is 4 years? Okay, in that time frame Stanford and Tech have won the same amount of National Championships (0) and conference championships (1). Stanford does have more wins though. Tech has played in more conference championship games (2).

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
So your answer for the time frame in determining which is the better program is 4 years? Okay, in that time frame Stanford and Tech have won the same amount of National Championships (0) and conference championships (1). Stanford does have more wins though. Tech has played in more conference championship games (2).

Clearly you've made up your mind that GT is the better program and you aren't going to change your mind. But go ask these young men whom we're trying to recruit...ask them which is the better program.

And they'll tell you to look not at the last 4 years but look at this year. Stanford is ranked #4. We are....oh crap, we're not even in the top 25.
So go back to last year. They were # 7. We were....oh crap, we weren't even in the top 25.
So go back another year. They were #7. We were...oh crap, we weren't even in the top 25.
So go back another year. They were #4. We were...oh crap, we weren't even in the top 25.
So go back one more to 2009. Tech wins ACC championship. Goes to its only BCS bowl ever....loses to Stanford. Still, we ended up #13. Stanford? Hooray, they were out of the top 25 (finished 28).

Yeah, we were CLEARLY the best program. </sarcasm>

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
dabuzz, did I not say they had a better record since 2008? Why the sarcasm and attitude? My point is very simple, what time frame do you use to evaluate a program as to which is the better program? Just for conversation's sake if Stanford goes 9-4 this year and Tech goes 11-2 which is the better program?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
dabuzz, did I not say they had a better record since 2008? Why the sarcasm and attitude? My point is very simple, what time frame do you use to evaluate a program as to which is the better program? Just for conversation's sake if Stanford goes 9-4 this year and Tech goes 11-2 which is the better program?

At that point, we would actually have the benefit of being able to make the case to recruits that we are the better program. And that's something I know both of us would enjoy. Personally, I'd love to see us go 13-0.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
So go back one more to 2009. Tech wins ACC championship. Goes to its only BCS bowl ever....loses to Stanford. Still, we ended up #13. Stanford? Hooray, they were out of the top 25 (finished 28).
We 11-3 lost to an historically NFL stacked 11-2 IOWA defense in the BCS bowl. #21 8-5 Stanford lost to unranked 8-5 Oklahoma in the Brut Sun Bowl and fell out of the final top 25 as they should have... 2009 we were better than Stanford and they were still basically an unknown team.