Stanford and David Shaw

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know what the heck is going on at Stanford? I counted 13 players in the portal - a fair number from on both offense and defense.

Seems excessive for the 1st losing season in a while and a pretty solid decade of success. Every year David Shaw is viewed as a top NFL candidate. I’m just not seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to several articles back during the early season, speculation was that he had an NFL job lined up and was just mailing this season in. I guess we will know in a few weeks.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yeh, if Stanford is competing for the PAC title instead of going 4-8, I doubt Shaw's 'advice' would be the same. But how selfless of him.
Stanford often signs players later because they hide behind their privacy and conditionally commit players. That way they can “trade up” when it’s desirable. Their potential grad transfers have about 3 weeks to decide. Make no mistake they’ll be solidly in the Top 25 when all is said & done. That much is a given.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Stanford doesn’t have the ceiling we have.
Huh? Honestly not sure if this is a serious statement, or just tic.

Stanford has won at least 10 games 6 times since the 2010 season, and this season is the first time since 2008 they won’t win at least 8. Tech has won 8 or more only 5 times in the same span.

Stanford has played in 5 BCS/NY6 bowl games since ‘08 to a 3-2 record, Tech is 1-2 in 3 games.

Stanford has also won its conference 3 times since ‘08 and played in 5 CCGs. Tech is also 1-2 in 3 ACCCGs.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Huh? Honestly not sure if this is a serious statement, or just tic.

Stanford has won at least 10 games 6 times since the 2010 season, and this season is the first time since 2008 they won’t win at least 8. Tech has won 8 or more only 5 times in the same span.

Stanford has played in 5 BCS/NY6 bowl games since ‘08 to a 3-2 record, Tech is 1-2 in 3 games.

Stanford has also won its conference 3 times since ‘08 and played in 5 CCGs. Tech is also 1-2 in 3 ACCCGs.

Before Harbaugh Stanford was considering dropping D1 football. Nobody thought they could achieve what they have done before a single coach turned around their entire outlook of their program.

My comment was really to all the doubters in our own program which is far more tradition rich than Stanford’s. Our fans are often times our worst enemies.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Before Harbaugh Stanford was considering dropping D1 football. Nobody thought they could achieve what they have done before a single coach turned around their entire outlook of their program.

My comment was really to all the doubters in our own program which is far more tradition rich than Stanford’s. Our fans are often times our worst enemies.
Exactly. Stanford had a long string of 2-3 win seasons before Harbaugh. They were in as bad or worse shape as we were in the 80s. With one of his first couple of classes, he signed Andrew Luck, and the program was off and running after that.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Where do you guys get this stuff from? There were 5 bad years, 2002-2006 when Buddy Teevans and Walt Harris coached. Interestingly Teevans got 3 years & Harris 2 years before being axed. Stanford NEVER considered dropping D1 football.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan

do you really even know crap about what you post? I’m a Stanford MBA. Ty Willingham won 30+ games during his stretch at Stanford. There were two coaches, 6 years between him an Harbaugh. There was zero talk of dropping ng football.
But make yourself feel better and try again.

Last edited:

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Seriously, your take on college football seems to be your opinion and just stuff you make up.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Exactly. Stanford had a long string of 2-3 win seasons before Harbaugh. They were in as bad or worse shape as we were in the 80s. With one of his first couple of classes, he signed Andrew Luck, and the program was off and running after that.
Not true. Try again.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Not true. Try again.
2002-2008 (2-9, 4-7, 4-7, 5-6, 1-11, 4-8, 5-7). That's basically the Rodgers/Curry years for us.

1980- 2000 7 winning seasons and 14 losing seasons.

They were never a perennial Top 25 program in the modern era until Harbaugh got there.

They were .500-ish when Elway was there, for Pete's sake.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
2002-2008 (2-9, 4-7, 4-7, 5-6, 1-11, 4-8, 5-7). That's basically the Rodgers/Curry years for us.

1980- 2000 7 winning seasons and 14 losing seasons.

They were never a perennial Top 25 program in the modern era until Harbaugh got there.

They were .500-ish when Elway was there, for Pete's sake.

You say Stanford wasn’t a perennial too 25 team until Harbaugh. You realize he was at Stanford for four seasons right??? And only two winning seasons right?

Again. People on this board just make crap up to fit an argument and aren’t even smart enough to check freaking records.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Where do you guys get this stuff from? There were 5 bad years, 2002-2006 when Buddy Teevans and Walt Harris coached. Interestingly Teevans got 3 years & Harris 2 years before being axed. Stanford NEVER considered dropping D1 football.

Do you just make stuff up. My goodness at least research a little before you make such a bold statement contradicting someone.

Stanford had losing seasons in 19 of 25 seasons from 81-06.

Stanford Alum Rod Gilmore is who said they were considering dropping D1 football. Take that statement up with him since you are so much more plugged into Stanford athletics than he is.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
You say Stanford wasn’t a perennial too 25 team until Harbaugh. You realize he was at Stanford for four seasons right??? And only two winning seasons right?

Again. People on this board just make crap up to fit an argument and aren’t even smart enough to check freaking records.
Yes, I realize Harbaugh was there for a shorter time, and Shaw had more of the winning seasons, but Harbaugh got the recruiting rolling, along with one of their asst coaches (Anderson, I think). The program's success has fallen off steadily the last few seasons under Shaw. Would you like me to quote those records to you so you can get triggered and accuse me of 'making crap up' again?

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Do you just make stuff up. My goodness at least research a little before you make such a bold statement contradicting someone.

Stanford had losing seasons in 19 of 25 seasons from 81-06.

Stanford Alum Rod Gilmore is who said they were considering dropping D1 football. Take that statement up with him since you are so much more plugged into Stanford athletics than he is.

From 95-01 Stanford won 40+ games. There was zero talk of dropping d1 football. Not sure what Gilmore said/heard (would love a quote) but as someone who was there and now very in touch with Stanford grads have never heard this.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes, I realize Harbaugh was there for a shorter time, and Shaw had more of the winning seasons, but Harbaugh got the recruiting rolling, along with one of their asst coaches (Anderson, I think). The program's success has fallen off steadily the last few seasons under Shaw. Would you like me to quote those records to you so you can get triggered and accuse me of 'making crap up' again?

no. I just want you to own what you said because you are wrong. You said harbaugh made them a perennial top 25 team. You are wrong. You made this crap up without checking and got called out by someone who knows more about it than you. Just admit it and move on.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
From 95-01 Stanford won 40+ games. There was zero talk of dropping d1 football. Not sure what Gilmore said/heard (would love a quote) but as someone who was there and now very in touch with Stanford grads have never heard this.

Good deal. Say you are right. Stanford wasn't considering dropping D1 football.

It still doesn't change the fact they were a GOD awful program! I mean depths our Jackets have never seen. Yet they turned it around. Stanford is doing well now but they are a bad hire away from returning to the cellar of the PAC 12. Their program has been maxed out over the past decade.