Staff Changes

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Unless Collins changes his strategy, we should not expect different results. The problems are system wide and only those that influence the entire system can correct them.
TStan needs to be more involved in the new hires. He controls the purse strings. If GC doesn't like being told to change some things then maybe he moves on and we avoid a buyout but his days as a HC at FCS or FBS don't exist with his record and most AD's would not want all the slogans, antics, etc. They want wins.
I also wonder how much latitude Collins will give his DC and OC. I could see him hiring a QB coach and let BK take over the offense.(not good at UCF). He seemed to let PNode run the offense on GameDay. Maybe he did interfere with the D on GameDay. Both were miserable the last three years and the numbers prove it.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
No one can know who we hire and whether they will make immediate improvements. But this disaster of a year might prove to have been a good thing. Had we won a couple of more games, there would not be the pressure to make wholesale changes. If we trade up, we can look back on this as necessary to reach a higher ceiling,

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
TStan needs to be more involved in the new hires. He controls the purse strings. If GC doesn't like being told to change some things then maybe he moves on and we avoid a buyout but his days as a HC at FCS or FBS don't exist with his record and most AD's would not want all the slogans, antics, etc. They want wins.
I also wonder how much latitude Collins will give his DC and OC. I could see him hiring a QB coach and let BK take over the offense.(not good at UCF). He seemed to let PNode run the offense on GameDay. Maybe he did interfere with the D on GameDay. Both were miserable the last three years and the numbers prove it.

I agree. I feel like we need to move away from a model where the head coach rules everything football related and more towards a stable organization run by the AA where the HC is just the CEO. Hire good coaches and keep them regardless of what happens with Collins. We might be able to attract better coaching talent if there is the promise that they won't be cleared out whenever there's a change in head coaches.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Temple fired their head coach. Did we buy a return policy of Geoff?

Yeah, they went went 3-9 in his third year. You have to make a change with those kind of results, don't you? :rolleyes:

(They beat us and went 8-5 his first year. Must be nice to be a big time program that can afford to fire a coach when things are trending down. :cry:)

Kidding, but not.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not claiming that I know the reason Coach Collins is keeping some staff and letting others go. If I were, please tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about because it would be true. It would not be a personal attack in any way.
On this site, as alums and fans (I am both), we express our opinions. We usually don't state it as "fact" unless we actually have inside knowledge. So, yes, you are right that what I was "speculating" was an opinion, but on this site, as long as you are not overly hostile to someone, expressing an opinion of why our coach might be making certain decisions is o.k., basically fair game. Again, I realize you and I have different opinions, and you can choose not to read mine if you like. I have not unfollowed you, but I rarely read your posts, because I understand you are about 180° different in your beliefs about this HC. Of course, neither of us will stop posting our opinions about our football team and this HC. And, I do appreciate your civil-ness in all of this.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping that TStan demands an approval on the hires. iirc, that was the deal early on with Pastner and it resulted in getting some pretty quality assistants there.

Of course, if TStan is a lousy judge of coaches (Collins, cough, cough) well then that might not help.
I'm guessing TStan's big motivation to hire CGC was his recruiting ability, he knew we had a monumental personnel rebuild ahead. We all hope we can keep big "mo" going with this class.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
If Collins was ever that big of a recruiter he wouldn't have a losing record as a head coach.

His head coaching record is .406%.

All of his "recruiting skills" simply abandon him completely as a head coach, IF (and it's a very big if) he ever had any to begin with.

kalld12

Banned
If Collins was ever that big of a recruiter he wouldn't have a losing record as a head coach.

His head coaching record is .406%.

All of his "recruiting skills" simply abandon him completely as a head coach, IF (and it's a very big if) he ever had any to begin with.
Huh? I think his recruiting successes here so far and the classes he's managed to piece together are BiG Time. We all know the man can recruit, its his coaching/development skills that need major work. Recruiting can lead to wins if coached correctly, but looking at the body of work, we all know that these kids arent being coached properly.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, they went went 3-9 in his third year. You have to make a change with those kind of results, don't you? :rolleyes:

(They beat us and went 8-5 his first year. Must be nice to be a big time program that can afford to fire a coach when things are trending down. :cry:)

Kidding, but not.
Monumental transformation!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He is a good salesman. Sold himself to TStan and has somehow managed to retain Thacker (maybe). He has not done a good job selling himself to our fans but he was totally dedicated to recruiting high school kids. Some of his antics are now being thrown back at him. He can turn it around with winning. Just needs good hires.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
I think his recruiting successes here so far and the classes he's managed to piece together are BiG Time.
I don't see it. At all. Odds are it had nothing to do with him. We've always had good recruits from time to time.

And as I said before, what good are his "recruiting skills" if he has no clue how to use them?

All the "recruiting skills" in the world has not helped him reach a .500 lifetime coaching record. (ergo his recruiting skills are in fact worthless)

Saying that Collins' recruiting skills are worth something is sort of like saying you hire a mechanic to build an engine that has great driving skills but has no idea how to change the oil, let alone build the engine.