Stacey Poole gone

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
A little surprised it took this long. I absolutely wish him well wherever he ends up. Seemed to deal with a tough situation well and always came into the game ready to play hard. Just a victim of circumstances outside of his control as far as we know.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we found a quality 1-year to add depth, no reason not to fill it. Just because Stacey didn't play much last year, doesn't mean we couldn't have used the additional depth.

Best of luck to him wherever he lands.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If we found a quality 1-year to add depth, no reason not to fill it. Just because Stacey didn't play much last year, doesn't mean we couldn't have used the additional depth.

Best of luck to him wherever he lands.
SP must of had issues going on during the season (and still now)... He had lots of DNP CD on the stats sheets... If he did get in it could be for 2 minutes or rarely 6+ in a game.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Does he have eligibility left? Played at UK. Transfered and sat a year. Played 2 years here. Going to transfer and sit another year and that's 5 years to play 4.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He has a year left, but he'd need to transfer down to D2 to play immediately, if he isn't graduating. There's no indication that he's on the verge of graduation.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Lol.

He was too athletic anyways. All he did was play better defense and get to the rim better than some others. Good for him. Best of luck.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
georgia tech sports are so frustrating, I love basketball, but we can't seem to get anything going in the right direction with this regime. Hopefully they have a good class coming in and we can make the tourney this year, otherwise I'd like to see a change, but we keep giving these coaches extentions when they don't deserve it. I know its for recruiting purposes but goodness its getting ridiculous.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
At some point it stops being Paul Hewitts fault.

But if you listen to the boards GT has no intention to pony up the dough to get a real coach to compete in the best basketball conference in the country. So really, what does it matter if they make a change.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At some point it stops being Paul Hewitts fault.

But if you listen to the boards GT has no intention to pony up the dough to get a real coach to compete in the best basketball conference in the country. So really, what does it matter if they make a change.
The last CBG extension was to cover recruiting this 2015 class. If we don't see some good results on that front before signing day, I would hope we wouldn't see another extension before wins are put on the board.

Agree there is no fault left on the Paul Hewitt front. We either have the money to pay up or not. Right now, I'd say we don't, but that's changing every day as we near the point where the Hewitt payments become fewer.

That said, even if we had no coaching salary overhang, I remain unconvinced that we would pay in excess of $1.5MM - $1.75MM for a Head Coach, even though higher numbers are quickly becoming the norm for a good ACC coach.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I understand the given extension. No arguments here. But if you are just going to give out another $1m contract you better hit a home run ala UVA (and they even went to $1.4m I think.)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agree with much of what @dtm1997 said (as per usual (y)), but if we continue to be afraid to go north of (or close to) $2 mil for a coach we're gonna get pushed to the outskirts of college bball (even more so than we already are).

Can't count on hitting the coaching jackpot with a cheap hire. Those guys are staying at their "mid-majors" now unless you blow them outta the water.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
KG - agree with what you're saying. Although I'd like to think Bobinski is a hoops guy from his time at Xavier, I'm not convinced we have the culture or the long term resources to make a big splash on a hoops coach's salary. Also, there's a ceiling based on Paul Johnson's salary, but that's a whole other topic.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Stacey Poole is still carried on the basketball roster as of today. Carter, Jr is gone. Anyone on what the story is on Poole?

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
line up: Lammers Unfilled
Sampson Geuye
Georges-Hunt Stephens Poole (maybe)
Bolden Jackson
Jurgensen Heyward Heath

We really need another big guy or two. Melvin Swift would push Sampson up to Center. I would be all over Yates 6 10 as power forward at this point. This would be an interesting team!!! Sampson with experience; freshman; GH with experience; Bolden with experience; and Jurgensen with lighting speed.