ST v VT

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow what a game. The flow can be seen in the ST play, which in my opinion was the best overall ST game this year.

Game ball to Milton. His FG block at 10:42 in the third to keep VT from going up two scores on short FG was massive and kept us in the game. He almost blocked an EP in the Woffard game (Green got the block) and I heard that he had blocked some FGs last year. Anyway, great coaching of speed for us to have 5 blocked FGs last year and 2 blocks this year (FG and EP).

Snoddy with most exciting (sic) play of the game when down 7 on what could have been our last possession of the game in the fourth. He muffs the KO return at the 6 into the end zone, is almost tackled for safety and then runs back to the 35. Everyone would be in total meltdown IF that had been a safety. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Snoddy run that fast. No moves, just pure speed. He likes the right sideline. The football gods smiled on us.

Butker. Really? I’m really disappointed in him. He has missed 3 of 7 easy FGs this year. They have all had good snaps and holds. Yesterday, he hit the right upright in this game and barely missed to the right in the Tulane game. He has a great strength and can kick TBs all day – he was 5 TBs of 6 attempts yesterday which limited the KO return vulnerability we may have. Plus he kicks FGs straight and long. FWIW, he is tied for 96th best in FG % this year. Great call by CPJ on last play of the game to center the ball for the game winning FG. Gotta know the strengths and weaknesses of your players.

But overall, this was top to bottom the best ST game of the year for us; B+. ST has been constantly above average IMHO this year, but yesterday they really contributed to the win with that blocked FG. It would have been a totally different game if VT went up two scores and then Brewer wouldn't have been as reckless passing the ball. Milton comes through big time. Gamer!

What was especially sweet was the ST play against Beamer's team. We now have JBall.

Past game ST records at:
GSU http://gtswarm.com/threads/st-in-ga-southern-game.3760/
Tulane http://gtswarm.com/threads/tulane-game-sts.3655/

fairweatherhater

Georgia Tech Fan
Snoddy with most exciting (sic) play of the game when down 7 on what could have been our last possession of the game in the fourth. He muffs the KO return at the 6 into the end zone, is almost tackled for safety and then runs back to the 35. Everyone would be in total meltdown IF that had been a safety. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Snoddy run that fast. No moves, just pure speed. He likes the right sideline. The football gods smiled on us.

Hell I'd forgotten about that one. I'm going to have to get back in shape to keep watching the team this season. Not sure my heart will make it.

You could definitely see that the whole team refused to lose in all 3 phases of the game. ST saw how the O and D played and the motivation was evident all game.

As far as Butker is concerned, when is somebody going to teach him how to pick the direction he kicks? Everything he kicks is either perfectly straight or way off center. I mean it's great and all having a kicker that could probably break distance records, but the close field goals next to the hashes are almost guaranteed misses at this point.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't remember who said it but supposedly on the missed fg by butker, the holder had trouble getting the laces right. Doesn't excuse him from missing the other gimme fgs this year but atleast he hit the one counted (even though it was like an extra point).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
fha45m152714k1p6g.jpg

Butker made the one at the end...all is forgiven :)

Just saw the chart above didn't post. In hindsight, I took the 2 point conversion off since it was really a D play and not a ST play.

And yes Eric, winning cures most things.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Butker. Really? I’m really disappointed in him. He has missed 3 of 7 easy FGs this year. They have all had good snaps and holds. Yesterday, he hit the right upright in this game and barely missed to the right in the Tulane game. He has a great strength and can kick TBs all day – he was 5 TBs of 6 attempts yesterday which limited the KO return vulnerability we may have. Plus he kicks FGs straight and long. FWIW, he is tied for 96th best in FG % this year. Great call by CPJ on last play of the game to center the ball for the game winning FG. Gotta know the strengths and weaknesses of your players.

On Butker's made FG, the kick looked at first like it was going to be wide right and then hooked in just inside the upright. If he had been 10-15 yards further out on the one he missed, the ball might have had time to hook and miss the upright. That may be why he is having trouble with the short FGs and not the long ones. If his ball has a natural hook to it and he is primarily practicing the long ones, he might not be adjusting his alignment enough to compensate for the lack of the hook on the short ones.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The blocking on snoddy's return was good. Which was a nice departure from last weeks lack of same.

And he actually did make two cuts to avoid tacklers.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Snoddy with most exciting (sic) play of the game when down 7 on what could have been our last possession of the game in the fourth. He muffs the KO return at the 6 into the end zone, is almost tackled for safety and then runs back to the 35. Everyone would be in total meltdown IF that had been a safety. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Snoddy run that fast. No moves, just pure speed.

That's because Snoddy was running for his life. Everyone would have killed him.

Sorry, only kidding. Couldn't resist. :playful:

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Little things: In 2010, you guys go down and score on Vt with 2 minutes left. The ensuing kickoff only makes it to the 10, and VT returns it for 90 to win the game.

In 2014, you score on VT with 2 minutes left, the ensuing kickoff goes out of the endzone and they have to start from the 25.

Harrison Butker is #7 in the country in Touchback percentage.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/player/split01/category29/sort04.html

He's missed field goals, but making the other team drive the length of the field every time is a HUGE asset