Stats ST Stats Versus Mercer

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A really great ST game. A few notes:
  1. A luxury to have Butker and now Shawn Davis doing KOs. Only GT and VT have 100% TB for the year. The last KO was by Shawn Davis (rFr).
  2. Great fake punt on 4th and 1. Chase Alford took it 21 yards on 4th and 1 on a short snap. Something else for other teams to think about.
  3. 2nd block of the season. We are tied for 1st in blocks with 7 other teams. In 2014, we got 6 all year and were tied for first this year. So it isn't luck.
  4. One punt of the day was by Aasen. Shank that with roll went 42 yards. I won't beat a dead horse, but CPJ said in post game we'd try people until we find someone who can punt. Shea Underwood comes to mind ....
  5. Solid return game all day, no muffs or drama.
  6. Overall, one of our best performances. I think that ST may have been the strongest phase of our game. Without the 3 fumbles (2 lost) it would have been the O, but TOs lose games quick.
mhcfdd3xto1mbut6g.jpg

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Man. I'd hate to see it when you do beat a dead horse.

I may not be smart all the time, but I'm consistent...... I try to only talk about things I think I know about, and that is limited.

One other thing about our KOs (to beat a horse some more), there are currently only 3 teams with a higher KO average. Ours of course is 65 yards. Stanford is 66.6, Iowa State 65.3 and Texas A&M 65.2.

No team since they have changed the KO rules has averaged 65 or more yards for an entire season. So I'll take the reward of a TB than the risk of a big return. The extra couple yards aren't worth it to me. That's why at the end of the BC game I was so relieved to see Butker kick the TB and prevent the big return (VT anyone?).

And with a rFr (Davis) kicking a TB at the end of the game we should be ok in this department even if we don't play our current commits.

Depth is good and playing depth to get it experience is better. Did I ever mention another position that can use playing depth?

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
  1. One punt of the day was by Aasen. Shank that with roll went 42 yards. I won't beat a dead horse, but CPJ said in post game we'd try people until we find someone who can punt. Shea Underwood comes to mind ....
I thought it was interesting in CPJ's post-practice interview that he mentioned Chase Martenson was punting, but no mention of Shea. Inquiring minds want to know...

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I may not be smart all the time, but I'm consistent...... I try to only talk about things I think I know about, and that is limited.

One other thing about our KOs (to beat a horse some more), there are currently only 3 teams with a higher KO average. Ours of course is 65 yards. Stanford is 66.6, Iowa State 65.3 and Texas A&M 65.2.

No team since they have changed the KO rules has averaged 65 or more yards for an entire season. So I'll take the reward of a TB than the risk of a big return. The extra couple yards aren't worth it to me. That's why at the end of the BC game I was so relieved to see Butker kick the TB and prevent the big return (VT anyone?).

And with a rFr (Davis) kicking a TB at the end of the game we should be ok in this department even if we don't play our current commits.

Depth is good and playing depth to get it experience is better. Did I ever mention another position that can use playing depth?
How do these teams have greater than 65 yard KO average? They have been penalized on the kickoff?

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the scorecard.

I suggest that one of the last KO's - I don't recall which one exactly - should not be an A. It was a line drive punt caught in the front half of the end zone by the return team. I think it could have been run back had the return team so chosen. Give it a A- or B+ instead. It was a touchback, so it can't be graded too harshly, but it wasn't a great kick.

Wasn't someone doing something like this for pitches to the AB so that those numbers could be added to the passing stats for the QB? Maybe that was last year or on TOS. I have no idea what became of it, but it seemed like an interesting thing to do.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
....... I suggest that one of the last KO's - I don't recall which one exactly - should not be an A. It was a line drive punt caught in the front half of the end zone by the return team. I think it could have been run back had the return team so chosen. Give it a A- or B+ instead. It was a touchback, so it can't be graded too harshly, but it wasn't a great kick.........

I remember there was one like you say where it was ~3 yards deep. I don't remember if it was the last kick or not ..... but to break even the return would have to be ~28 yards. So you are right about some teams returning, but last year only four teams averaged KO returns greater = 28 yards. So if you're desperate or the other team sucks at coverage, go for it. Otherwise take it on the 25. http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category05/sort01.html

I was thinking about only giving Butker an A if he puts it in the stands (tic). Our situation now is so much better than it has been.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember there was one like you say where it was ~3 yards deep. I don't remember if it was the last kick or not ..... but to break even the return would have to be ~28 yards. So you are right about some teams returning, but last year only four teams averaged KO returns greater = 28 yards. So if you're desperate or the other team sucks at coverage, go for it. Otherwise take it on the 25. http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category05/sort01.html

I was thinking about only giving Butker an A if he puts it in the stands (tic). Our situation now is so much better than it has been.

Reserve A+ for KO's in the stands. :)

On the line drive kick, I'm thinking that since the ball arrived so fast, making the 28 yd should be easier because the coverage team is likely out of position. When that ball was kicked, I remember thinking that this'll be the first return of the year and was surprised when they took the touchback instead.