Spring Training 2021

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
The offensive line additions are impressive. I love the increase in size and length. Pause.

I love to hear the focus on attention to detail and discipline.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Kirby isn’t here yet.

He will probably throw a monkey wrench in this O Line situation when he gets here. My bet is Paula or Pendley gets the nod inside and Williams is a heavy rotation at tackle

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Kirby isn’t here yet.

He will probably throw a monkey wrench in this O Line situation when he gets here. My bet is Paula or Pendley gets the nod inside and Williams is a heavy rotation at tackle

Surplanting someone in essentially 2 months vs. a calendar year in year in a system? I doubt Williams will be on the bench.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Surplanting someone in essentially 2 months vs. a calendar year in year in a system? I doubt Williams will be on the bench.
Depends on how many false starts Williams keeps getting. Remember Kirby is the real deal.

Williams may move inside?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Then again Kirby is a a grad transfer with 4 years in college and presumably a more mature NFL ready body vs a true sophomore. Normally I would agree with you since OL players need time playing together to work as a unit. But I don't believe Cochran is here yet--- and is Kenny Cooper healthy enough to get a lot of snaps in the spring? We could easily be starting two new OL from last year anyway. What's one more?

Raises another question for me. If last year was a free year, can someone who played last year redshirt this year and be on a 6 year plan?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Getting Peery to come could pay off big time. He was coached in a true spread offense throughout high school so he should be light years ahead of any other QB including Sims on the concepts and routes of the receivers. Plus, his arm is legit. Now, in no way am I saying he’ll pass Sims on the depth chart but we at least have another QB who isn’t seeing this offense for the first time. To go from having no QB’s to start the Collins era to now having a 4 star stud athlete and a legit passing QB is nice. They’ll push each other and should get better. Peery could end up being the best thing that could happen for Sims vis a vis film study and team building. Think of Joe Ham and Goose.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
NFL teams don't always carry a full 2 deep at O-line, so showing film that you can slide inside is never a bad thing. I consider this to be like pitching in baseball and a good "problem" to have. I have a feeling it will work itself out.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
NFL teams don't always carry a full 2 deep at O-line, so showing film that you can slide inside is never a bad thing. I consider this to be like pitching in baseball and a good "problem" to have. I have a feeling it will work itself out.
I bet the staff knew all the permutations and combinations of OLine potential lineups when they brought these three transfers in, I bet Coach Key has a pretty good picture

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Then again Kirby is a a grad transfer with 4 years in college and presumably a more mature NFL ready body vs a true sophomore. Normally I would agree with you since OL players need time playing together to work as a unit. But I don't believe Cochran is here yet--- and is Kenny Cooper healthy enough to get a lot of snaps in the spring? We could easily be starting two new OL from last year anyway. What's one more?

Raises another question for me. If last year was a free year, can someone who played last year redshirt this year and be on a 6 year plan?
Cochran is already on campus and participating in spring practice. According to Ken S. at the AJC there are 3 spots that are pretty locked in on the oline: Cochran, Johnson, and Williams. If Kirby is good enough to supplant either Cochran or Williams then we should see a huge jump in tackle play next season. I am putting my money on Williams and Cochran holding their spots. I believe Cooper is a full participant in practice and battling for the starting center spot.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I like Kirby on the inside. I think his ceiling is much higher on the inside. Don't know what Key and Kirby talked about during his recruitment here, but Cochrane-Johnson-Cooper-Kirby-Williams is a pretty darn good OL. Will probably be the best starting 5 OL since the 2014 team.

All I know is the more talent we can bring in, the more competition. The more competition, the better off overall for this team. Keep bringing in talent, let them decide on the field who plays. These are discussions I hope we have all the time because too much talent is a good problem to have.