Spring Training 2021

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Have him listed at LB, which is where I hope he stays. Is that where he had the majority of his reps last year? He had his best success 2 seasons ago at that spot

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed - all the personal opinions re: numbers, ATL list, etc... matter not relative to performance of the team on the field. I personally like the new culture Collins has instilled but if we continue to see the repeated mental/discipline errors in the form of so many self-inflicted penalties, the fan base will wane... He's got to figure out how to balance the new high-energy culture with on-field discipline...
The good news on this topic, at least based on the interview with CGC after the first Spring Practice, is they are choosing to emphasize "attention to detail" much more this season due directly to the high number of penalties from last season. Less music/hype at practice this season and more focus and attention to detail. Hopeful this will make a difference come this Fall...

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
When I first watched and heard we had 13 penalties at practice I had an aneurism lol if we dont clear that up this season I am writing a strongly worded letter to Geoff
Sounds bad but for first day jitters and rust, I'm not concerned. I think having the officials present and by making it an issue - should be good to go by the fall. So we lost 75 yards/game from penalties. We averaged 390 yards per game last year so basically, considering an average starting yard line of the 25, we lost an entire drive and probably about 4 points per game (wild guess). We aren't going to get to zero penalty yards so if we can just cut that in half I'll be very happy.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
When I first watched and heard we had 13 penalties at practice I had an aneurism lol if we dont clear that up this season I am writing a strongly worded letter to Geoff
My biggest concern. Collins coached teams have ranked near the bottom of the ncaa in penalties for four straight years. This year will be telling since it’s clear they putting an emphasis on improving it. Five years straight would point to a systematic problem IMO.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
My biggest concern. Collins coached teams have ranked near the bottom of the ncaa in penalties for four straight years. This year will be telling since it’s clear they putting an emphasis on improving it. Five years straight would point to a systematic problem IMO.
We were #9 in the country in fewest penalties per game in Collins' first season here:

Are you adjusting based on penalties per play or something? Still not sure that would support your assertion.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It already is a systemic problem.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Last season was bad. The prior season was good.

1617229720739.png

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
The only worrisome thing is that was his pattern at Temple as well. Low penalties first year and some of the worst penalty rates in the nation the next two years. Hopefully this year breaks the cycle...

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he knows this year is make or break so he will be very dialed in. Whether that produces more than 3 wins, we will see. There are some talented kids on the roster. Need to get them ready.