Spring QB competition coverage

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really like Byerly running our offense. He doesn't have the dynamic skillset of JT or Vad, he's just a cerebral QB that's good at everything (minus the ability to make defenders look ridiculous) with good command of our offense. Remember that highlight catch that Smelter made last spring? People forget that it was Byerly that put it in a great place for Smelter. When he got in last year our offense didn't hit huge plays, but we were moving and didn't make dumb mistakes.

I've said it in other threads...it won't surprise me to see TB play a lot of minutes in 2014.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd like to see Byerly come in when we need a death march drive in the 4th and just run the midline over and over like Nesbitt used to do. Not saying JT couldn't do it. Just that Byerly seems better suited to pounding forward for 4 yards every play.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I really like Byerly running our offense. He doesn't have the dynamic skillset of JT or Vad, he's just a cerebral QB that's good at everything (minus the ability to make defenders look ridiculous) with good command of our offense. Remember that highlight catch that Smelter made last spring? People forget that it was Byerly that put it in a great place for Smelter. When he got in last year our offense didn't hit huge plays, but we were moving and didn't make dumb mistakes.

I've said it in other threads...it won't surprise me to see TB play a lot of minutes in 2014.
I too think he will play a role.But he mainly got in after the opponent was spent though and the little passing he did wasn't that good..

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Last year Vad was the best. This year? I kind of want JT to win out since he's a RFr vice Byerly who is a RJr. But if Byerly has put on muscle and can remind me of JN, then he is all I really want to see. Glad to hear he may be pushing 225, but the recent roster has him at 215.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Like I said before, I don't have a clue who will come out on top here. I hope it's JT and I think it will be; he has the game experience and a great skill set for the O. But, again, I doubt the actual results will be much different with Byerly at the helm. He's the best at running the O (or, at least, was last season), he really knows how to manage a football game, and, as you may have noticed in his demeanor, he sure doesn't lack confidence.

But, like I also said before, just watch: Griffin will win the spot.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Like I said before, I don't have a clue who will come out on top here. I hope it's JT and I think it will be; he has the game experience and a great skill set for the O. But, again, I doubt the actual results will be much different with Byerly at the helm. He's the best at running the O (or, at least, was last season), he really knows how to manage a football game, and, as you may have noticed in his demeanor, he sure doesn't lack confidence.

But, like I also said before, just watch: Griffin will win the spot.
I agree, mostly, but I think you underestimate the huge impact having a kid who can take it to the house on any given snap has on the dynamics of the game and how defenses plan and execute.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of posters seem convinced that Byerly runs the offense the best. I'm wondering how anyone can possibly reach that conclusion already with the little playing time either of them have gotten and the context of that playing time.
My goodness. Lets be honest here guys, both mostly came in mop-up duty and both saw very little action. Lets let the spring and fall determine who is actually better. I think CPJ will know who is best by then.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Byerly's most extended PT was not running our base offense last year, IIRC. Vs Miami, he was running pistol stuff.

He looks good under center in some of those bootleg spring scrimmage videos from last year, but he's not running against the 1s.

Like vamos said, what is driving this? JT is the only QB to score a rushing TD on the triple last year. He also looked pretty good reading the midline. Vad had some nice pitches on the triple option. I don't know what Byerly did because he just didn't get much PT

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Byerly's most extended PT was not running our base offense last year, IIRC. Vs Miami, he was running pistol stuff.

He looks good under center in some of those bootleg spring scrimmage videos from last year, but he's not running against the 1s.

Like vamos said, what is driving this? JT is the only QB to score a rushing TD on the triple last year. He also looked pretty good reading the midline. Vad had some nice pitches on the triple option. I don't know what Byerly did because he just didn't get much PT

I guess the same thing driving the "JT is a better fit for our offense than Vad" train...shining in limited minutes against Syracuse when we were ahead and against lowly Elon.

JT didn't look great against our 1st team D last spring (he looked OK), but he looked very good against our reserves.

Production-wise, JT and Byerly actually scored the same amount of TDs last season and had comparatively equal YPC averages...JT with 7.1, Byerly with 6.6. JT scored against Elon and Syracuse, Byerly against Miami and Alabama A&M.

BOTH of them are far from certain with respect to proven commodities, though it's pretty apparent who has the higher ceiling and dynamic skillset.