Spring Preview: Wide Receivers

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
From ajc https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...review-wide-receivers/DLGyuRmqx2WUUcU9FfJQjN/

WIDE RECEIVERS
Who’s gone: Nathan Cottrell, Jair Hawkins-Anderson, Omahri Jarrett

Who’s back: Josh Blancato, Ahmarean Brown, Jalen Camp, Stephen Dolphus, Malachi Carter, Marquez Ezzard, Peje’ Harris, Kalani Norris, Tobias Oliver, Zach Owens, Adonicas Sanders

Who’s new: Avery Boyd, Ryan King and Nate McCollum

What are your thoughts, projected starters, breakout player, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Brown was awesome last year, I’m thinking M Carter will have great year.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks like a deep enough group that we should be able to redshirt the 3 freshmen. Hopefully Ezzard will play as advertised. If he starts drawing attention from defenses that will make the others even more dangerous.

Add: I'm counting on QB improvement to get the ball to them in a variety of situations.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been too high on Carter too jump ship now. Brown, Camp, Carter, and Sanders will play a lot. I haven’t seen Ezzard play a snap so can’t really justify a prediction with him. But you’d think if we used a transfer scholly on him that he’d be good enough to get snaps.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Hoping one of the freshman can standout enough to have an impact. Our WRs weren’t very good last year beyond AB

Would like to see the staff find ways to better utilize Camp this year.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Hoping one of the freshman can standout enough to have an impact. Our WRs weren’t very good last year beyond AB

Would like to see the staff find ways to better utilize Camp this year.
Carter and Sanders made some nice plays when given the opportunity. The passing game needs to improve on the OL and at QB more than at WR.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Seems to me that FR WRs play early maybe more than any other position, I'm guessing we see some or all of our FR WRs playing by the latter half of season. I'm guessing we have a few of our present WRs leave after next fall.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I would feel more confident in the freshman getting snaps if they were already on campus. Gonna be tough with just fall practice. The one thing that Boyd and Mccollum bring that we do not have a lot of is speed. I hope we are more consistent this year catching the ball. We also need to work on route running and hopefully getting more separation. With hopefully an improved offensive line and qb play this group can excel.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
There are athletic players in the WR room. Most / all need to own the craft of being good route runners. Unless you are the fastest guy on the field, as is the case for A Brown, you have to commit to good route running. It’s a very nuanced thing, but it’s critical for creating separation.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
WRs are among the easiest position for freshman to make an impact. As O'Leary used to say: "the further away from the ball you are, the easier it is to win a position early". That is not an exact quote, but he used words to that effect.

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
At fan day scrimmage last year, two stood out from the crowd. One was Brown making crazy catches at crazy speeds. Had to look him up in the guide. The other was Ezzard. After several years of watching rounded off routes, this guy cut and caught like a receiver. Really bummed when he didn’t get a waiver. He will be dangerous this year.

slugboy

Staff member
I thought Blancato was fast as all get out last year

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think this crowd is in a photo finish with the RBs as the most talented position on the team. The big thing, I believe, is getting Camp back. He muscles DBs with impunity and has very good hands. With him and Brown we have a hard to beat short - long combo. Or it could be almost any other combo of 2 or 3; the talent's there. Now, if we can just get the OL even marginally better (i.e. if we can avoid the injury plague this year), we ought to see something.

Again, however, I don't know if the improvement will translate into more wins. The Season of Doom makes the whole business harder. Here's hoping the team proves me wrong and we break even. With the right breaks, it could happen.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just my observations. First we have way too many people at this position, once you get past 5, the rest are not playing unless someone gets injured or if they happen to be outstanding on special teams.

Here is the way I would rank them:

A. Brown
M. Carter
A. Sanders
M. Ezzard
N. McCollum

P. Harris
J. Camp
Z, Owens
K. Norris
J. Blancato
R. King
A. Boyd
S. Dolphus

So to me, any of the bottom eight and most likely multiple of the bottom eight will most likely transfer. This and running back are where we have the most fat. With 3 positions you could go 3 deep at each and still have 4 guys that never see the field. So look for the coaches to encourage some of these guys to move along. I think this is why Oliver has already been moved to cornerback.

Overall, the talent level is high and we should get some really good results if we can get a QB that execute the plays with a high level of efficiency. I noticed last year that we had a lot of guys running wide open but the QB either did not pick them up or did not deliver the ball to them. An area of strength for 2020.

Go Jackets!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Just my observations. First we have way too many people at this position, once you get past 5, the rest are not playing unless someone gets injured or if they happen to be outstanding on special teams.

A. Brown
M. Carter
A. Sanders
M. Ezzard
N. McCollum

P. Harris
J. Camp
Z, Owens
K. Norris
J. Blancato
R. King
A. Boyd
S. Dolphus

So to me, any of the bottom eight and most likely multiple of the bottom eight will most likely transfer. This and running back are where we have the most fat. With 3 positions you could go 3 deep at each and still have 4 guys that never see the field. So look for the coaches to encourage some of these guys to move along. I think this is why Oliver has already been moved to cornerback.

Overall, the talent level is high and we should get some really good results if we can get a QB that execute the plays with a high level of efficiency. I noticed last year that we had a lot of guys running wide open but the QB either did not pick them up or did not deliver the ball to them. An area of strength for 2020.

Go Jackets!
Would expect the new guys to all redshirt. Camp should be in the first group, and I think Kalani Norris will join the first group. Peje Harris, Zach Owens are most likely to move on/transfer, possibly with Dolphus (or he moves to TE). Blancato is a walk on, so doesn't really matter for determining schollies.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

A. Brown
M. Carter
A. Sanders
M. Ezzard
N. McCollum

P. Harris
J. Camp
Z, Owens
K. Norris
J. Blancato
R. King
A. Boyd
S. Dolphus

Go Jackets!

No way Camp is behind Harris and he will be out there a lot.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Carter and Sanders made some nice plays when given the opportunity. The passing game needs to improve on the OL and at QB more than at WR.

Meh. I can think of a half dozen Carter drops. Neither guy is an impact player at the position