Spring Preview: Tight Ends

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We got to just keep chopping wood here. Last year we had some productivity out of this position but not as much as we needed. I like the 2 guys returning and the Ward kid coming in looks to be great size. Here is how I would rank them:

Tight Ends

Deveney
Leonard
Ward
Johns

This might be a position we would be looking for a potential transfer on the incoming side. It looks to me like Deveney is a pretty tough dude and likes to block as much as catch the ball. I like Leonard as well. He may emerge as the starter later this season. He is very athletic and catches the ball really well.

Go Jackets!

bos

Helluva Engineer
Tech severely lacked a mid range passing game last year. It was either 2 yards or 50 yards and part of that was the QB play. Regardless, I think the TE position should be utilized more this season. I don't know if it will be with all this inexperience, and I was hoping a transfer would come in for 1 year. Perhaps the coaches believe Dylans are ready and much better than we as fans expect. I sure hope so because this team needs a big 3rd down and red zone target for a young QB.

I thought Luke Johns was a transfer out candidate, so I like his move here.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
This is an area I'm surprised we have not gotten a transfer or recruited more heavily. I think it speaks to the confidence the staff has in the Dylans. That said, 3 people seems awful thin, keeping in mind that we need to scout against teams that might even use two tight ends.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
This is an area I'm surprised we have not gotten a transfer or recruited more heavily. I think it speaks to the confidence the staff has in the Dylans. That said, 3 people seems awful thin, keeping in mind that we need to scout against teams that might even use two tight ends.

Ward makes 4, but I get your overall point. Would love to have one more with some experience.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I think Deveney has the edge here. I really have nothing to base my opinion on but I have a 1 in 4 chance of being right. This is new territory for us!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, there's no Gronk on the team, but these guys ought to be ok. Given that Davis was an integral part of the O at UConn and didn't get the same opportunities here, I doubt we'll make the TE a major part of the O and all of them can block and catch some. (I'm assuming that Johns was moved because he showed someone he could catch.) But you never know. That could change in the spring. Like the OL this is a position that deserves attention.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Ben Wilhelm, 6’6” 230; Fr.-R
High School: Multi-sport athlete … Four-year letterwinner in football, playing tight end, defensive end and outside tackle … Served as team captain for final two seasons … Helped Thomas County win a regional championship in 2016 … Named first-team all-region (TE) in 2018 for Region 1 AAAAA … Earned second-team all-region in 2017 as an outside tackle … Finalist for the U.S. Army-Pro Football Hall of Fame Award for Excellence … Selected to participate in the GACA North-South All-Star Game … Also played three years of baseball in right field and three years of basketball as a center … Graduated high school as an honor grad, merit scholar, Georgia Scholar and STAR Student … Earned the highest SAT score in his class.