Spring Preview: Secondary

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
From AJC https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ice-preview-secondary/UMALvU8cN4f3teKg6lzv1M/

Who’s gone: S Christian Campbell, S Ajani Kerr

Who’s back: S Derrik Allen, CB Jaytlin Askew, S Tariq Carpenter, CB Jordan Huff, CB Kenan Johnson, S Jaylon King, S Kaleb Oliver, S Avery Showell, CB Myles Sims, S Jeremiah Smith, CB Tre Swilling, S Juanyeh Thomas, CB Wesley Walker, CB Zamari Walton

Who’s new: CB Jalen Huff

What are your thoughts: Projected starter, breakout players, etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Strong group, Swilling J Thomas and Carpenter all all conf type players. Lot of size and depth at CB.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
If they stay healthy, feel like this could be one of better secondaries on The Flats in a good while. I like the aggressive nature of how Burton/Thacker used last year, hopefully a year of experience helps them make more plays (and improved pass rush always helps DBs).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Seven listed as safeties? That seems excessive unless we are going to use one or two of them as a hybrid LB type. Do we lose a couple of them to transfer?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Seven listed as safeties? That seems excessive unless we are going to use one or two of them as a hybrid LB type. Do we lose a couple of them to transfer?

That's not that bad because Nickel, Strong safety and Free all pull from that pool. So 7 players for 3 positions is just a 2 deep + a swing.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
This one I'm the least concerned about. Barring some wicked injury bug, I think this is our strongest unit. Will miss the seniors on this side next year. I think we have some higher round draft picks on this side of the ball.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Strong group, Swilling J Thomas and Carpenter all all conf type players. Lot of size and depth at CB.

They are a strong group, athletically.

As a group, I thought they did a good job last year of staying with the receivers. Now if they can either turn around and find the ball, or watch the receivers eyes (keep your eye on the ball) and knock down more of the throws, they could be the strength of the defense. Too often last year receivers caught passes that could have been deflected had the DB's had more awareness of where the football was.

GT19901990

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe one of you gurus can shed some light- was it just me or did teams seems to pick on TS? After the Clemson game he seemed to be inconsistent at best- make a couple pass break ups but would get torched and picked on almost every game. Was hoping to have a true lock down corner, but I just didn’t see it. Not sure if he has the speed and I don’t recall him every getting his head turned around right before a ball got to the receiver (which seems to be a trait of the elite CB’s).
Overall, this might be our best position group on defense but to me it seems to just be an average- run of the mill ACC level group. (7 interceptions for the entire year last year is horrid). Maybe it’s because our DL stunk and they just had to cover for way too long.?? Hope I am wrong, and this group breaks out this year. I mean our HC is the DB coach - I think in a couple years this group will be elite but we are a long way from being there right now.

Last edited:

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe one of you gurus can shed some light- was it just me or did teams seems to pick on TS? After the Clemson game he seemed to be inconsistent at best- make a couple pass break ups but would get torched and picked on almost every game. Was hoping to have a true lock down corner, but I just didn’t see it. Not sure if he has the speed and I don’t recall him every getting his head turned around right before a ball got to the receiver (which seems to be a trait of the elite CB’s).
Overall, this might be our best position group on defense but to me it seems to just be an average- run of the mill ACC level group. (7 interceptions for the entire year last year is horrid). Maybe it’s because our DL stunk and they just had to cover for way too long.?? Hope I am wrong, and this group breaks out this year. I mean our HC is the DB coach - I think in a couple years this group will be elite but we are a long way from being there right now.
Teams seemed to pick on tre because he was lined up on their number one receiver moose of the time, so they’d target him more.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck

Kinda related, our offense last year did not control positions much last year and defense was on field a lot. I think improved offense is going to help this defense a lot.

Overall I think Swilling was solid, not island type CB yet, but very good, was still young last year and matched up against other teams best well, got beat some but that’s going to happen going against today’s passing heavy offenses.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
TS had some tough times but he stood up to it it seemed.I loved him fighting with that uga guy.CBs have got to be tough.
Having almost NO pass rush was a BIG reason they weren't better I feel..

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
TS needs major work in his run support game. He gets pushed 20 yards off the ball when he needs to set the corner on sweeps and other outside runs. When his role on the play is to crash down from the snap and no read is required he is there, I’m not to sure he has learned to read the play at the snap though. I guess coverage calls play a part but recognition is lacking sometimes.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
TS needs major work in his run support game. He gets pushed 20 yards off the ball when he needs to set the corner on sweeps and other outside runs. When his role on the play is to crash down from the snap and no read is required he is there, I’m not to sure he has learned to read the play at the snap though. I guess coverage calls play a part but recognition is lacking sometimes.

Not something I pay too much attention to personally. Obviously if someone is being blocked, he's going to know it will be a run or screen. But in press man you're gonna be tight on the guy and physical in the beginning and have less wiggle room to catch up to the ball if you let a guy pass. Sounds really damn tough to combine that with keeping eyes in the backfield to break off covering a route to get to the edge on a sweep.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
In general, I thought this group did not live up to it's billing last year. I think the same could be said for our entire defensive unit. I felt that this group would be the difference makers on that side of the ball that would elevate us from low tier to at least a high middle tier unit. That did not happen. There were some highlights throughout the year, but in general, we gave up too many big plays and did not establish ourselves as a head hunting, intimidating type of defense.

Here is how I would rank the positions:

Cornerbacks

T. Swilling
K. Johnson
Z. Walton
J. Askew
M. Sims
W. Walker
J. Huff

With 7 here, I do not see much separation between any of them. We could see a transfer or two here. We need to see some significant development this off season.

Safety

D. Allen
K. Oliver
T. Carpenter
J. Thomas
A. Showell
J. King
J. Smith

Again 7 here and I think a little stronger group with Allen eligible this coming season. We could see some transfers due to numbers and not much separation. I know we play the nickel and pull from both these groups but I would prefer us to use a linebacker there with more size and striking ability. I feel that this group, in general had a little too much smoke blown up their butts and they really need to do less tweeting / talking and a lot more playing with a bad attitude.

Go Jackets!

Last edited:

bos

Helluva Engineer
People seems to think this team is thin on LBers and have too many DBs. They are forgetting Tech plays 4-2-5 defense. Most of the time there are 2 LBers and 5 DBs on the field. With that being said, I believe this group of DBs is one of the best we've seen in recent years. I'm excited. Hopefully DL generates enough pass rush to make them look good.