Spring Practice Thread

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I know a few Alabama fans and they think they need to pass more. Clemson fans don't said anything negative. Other teams I don't know . who is the OC at SMU

RE:Clemson there were actually a lotta CU fans that were ticked about Etienne's usage in the title game. I kinda saw their point though.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
At least he was on target about the record number of three and outs. I think he needs to worry about scoring touchdowns rather than 'possessing the ball'

Oh the irony[/QUOTE]
LOL!!! They do it all of the time! Just ignore and enjoy the silence when they have less to b!tech about in the near future.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
OH MY F'ING GAWD. When was the last time you heard the offensive coordinator say, "we put the defense in terrible position". Like and trust this guy more after watching this video.
I'm not sure he deserves praise for stating the pure, unadulterated, and obvious to absolutely everybody truth. But at least he owns up to it. That's something, I suppose.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Seems like the QB's are truly trying to help each other get better, I like the camaraderie and spirit of these guys. Kudos to CGC for building this type culture
I think having Camp back will make our QBs a lot better all of a sudden. We had way, way too many drops on short routes last year often due to pressure on the WR by DBs. I predict this will be less the case going forward. It's a matter of choosing your poison; you can cover Camp with an LB and let the TE go or cover him with a DB and take your chances. But we'll see.

I agree with the "culture" part, but I'm actually hoping this isn't the way Graham - or the others - look at their competition. I would be after the other guys throats at each practice myself.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I think having Camp back will make our QBs a lot better all of a sudden. We had way, way too many drops on short routes last year often due to pressure on the WR by DBs. I predict this will be less the case going forward. It's a matter of choosing your poison; you can cover Camp with an LB and let the TE go or cover him with a DB and take your chances. But we'll see.

I agree with the "culture" part, but I'm actually hoping this isn't the way Graham - or the others - look at their competition. I would be after the other guys throats at each practice myself.

Don't get the love for Camp. The kid is in his 5th year and I'm not sure he has reached double figures in catches yet.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Don't get the love for Camp. The kid is in his 5th year and I'm not sure he has reached double figures in catches yet.
He had 11 catches in 2018, so yes he has reached double figures. He has shown himself to be a talented receiver when he's gotten the opportunity, however he has been hampered by injury this past season. Most want to see him get a full season in a passing offense to really show what he can do.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Because he has been on this team for 5 years and is a leader regardless of how many catches he has.

Lol. He can be a leader and not have a great skill set. Unfortunately I think we are looking at that combination at several positions.
Can’t wait till we can combine some skill with experience.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
What he has to do to prove to me that he is a good OC is better utilization of available personnel and play calling to move the chains and score in the red zone. Even with our problems last year with transition on O we really underachieved badly and embarrassingly, in part because of poor utilization of talent and incoherent play calling which he was in charge of.

Available personnel?

Well, let's see, we had an OL that wasn't P5 quality.
We had a R-Fr QB that missed spring practice due to academics when Patenaude was installing a completely new offense.
Our top 4 WRs from the previous year either graduated or were injured and unavailable.
Our starting RB from the year before graduated.

He's an OC, not Jesus.

Score in the red zone?
In 1990 we tied UNC, who wasn't that good. The only blemish on our record. We drove into the red zone all day but couldn't punch it in. Why? Our 3 best OT's were injured. See the point about the OL above. "Utilization" doesn't matter if you can't block.

Some people would have been after Ross to fire Friedgen after 1987 if message boards had been around.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Some people would have been after Ross to fire Friedgen after 1987 if message boards had been around.
I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have been rushing to fire an OC who in his previous job at a major program that was winning ACC championships and finishing in the top 25, had two top 10 offenses and two more top 25 offenses. That’s slightly different than a guy who has yet in his 28 year career to ever coach on a team ranked in the FBS top 25 in any game, or field an offense ranked in the top 60 in the FBS.