Spring Practice Thread

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
PK's are a lot like golfers. It could be that he tried to make some changes in his technique and lost his confidence. A flaw in his kicking motion may have crept in. Most pro golfers also work with a sport psychologist and some use hypnosis to forget the misses and concentrate only on the makes. It is easier to remember the misses. Neither kid had a really strong leg but they were not as consistent as the coaches want either. They gave it their best and hope both of them graduate. I think Wells can qualify for the Hope.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Collins should have just left Wells alone and gave him the starting job. He was near perfect in 2018. He was God awful, as was King last year. Kicking is 90+% mental and Wells just couldn't handle whatever he went through in competing during the off season. You can say that's on him but I think when it comes to kicking a lot is on the coaching. Might have cost us a game or two last season.

Go Jackets!

Jeez, if we are paying a coach millions of $ to "just leave a player alone" .....

Well damn, just damn.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins should have just left Wells alone and gave him the starting job. He was near perfect in 2018. He was God awful, as was King last year. Kicking is 90+% mental and Wells just couldn't handle whatever he went through in competing during the off season. You can say that's on him but I think when it comes to kicking a lot is on the coaching. Might have cost us a game or two last season.

Go Jackets!

Wells had one FG try last year, he missed his only attempt toward the end of the season,He was 6 of 7 on extra points.
King missed 4 Fgs out of 7 try’s, 14 for 14 on extra points

I see no real difference, not enough to bench a kicker who was perfect the previous year. I’ll admit before I get hit I don’t know what was going on behind the scenes but from what I do see I don’t and didn’t understand

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I don't really know what the hell happened. It certainly is an area for improvement going forward so I will hope for better results ahead. I know Wells has the academic credentials to have a scholarship in that regard and I assume King will be fine and graduate as well. Best of luck to both of them and best of luck to whomever we trot out their in 2020 to kick the football.

Go Jackets!

slugboy

Staff member
Ramblin Wreck has a Spring Practice Central page at https://ramblinwreck.com/spring-practice-central-2020/. Could use a few more updates. They gave a shoutout to the Men’s BB team.

@coachchoice: If you don’t fail you are not even trying. I will say this again for everybody that needs to hear. If you don’t fail you are not even trying. To get something you never had you have to do something you never did. What are you willing to do to change your dreams to reality. [emoji935]

Things are quiet on social media. They’re working out:

@StrengthGT: The Energy is Infectious! Great Day!

Glad we have an indoor practice facility with the typhoon season we’re having lately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Things to note:
- Quinney was 265 this time last year he is now 305

- CDP says Jeff Sims is very athletic and loves to watch film

- Tucker Gleason rolled his ankle jogging down the field so he was limited today. Very competitive kid and loves to watch film as well

-CDP says the young guys are more polished coming out of high school when it comes to the offense

-Yates could be a Coach after he’s done because he’s so smart

- Everyone is playing without thinking

-CDP says last year he basically had to teach them how to play football (yikes)

- RB group is very good. Excited about the freshman. BJS is an “ACC back”

- Wants to pass more with more tempo

- Jalen Camp is an absolute beast

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I’m hoping CDP can turn out to be successful. It was maddening watching the offense last year most of the time. He’s got a lot more to work with this season experience-wise and personnel.

I also ate some tuna for lunch.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm glad to see the positive response to this video. People were dogging on him like crazy last year. He LITERALLY had to teach these guys how to play offense.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It's apparent the job description of a player in the new offense is completely different than it was under CPJ. That's not a knock on CPJ. What he did with the option was very effective, and I still love and miss it. Now I have a much greater appreciation of why the transition is so huge an undertaking. It's not about the physical talent even though that is also a thing. We are going to be so much better off having to only get the newcomers up to speed on what we are doing and why than starting from scratch. The pace of practice with guys who aren't having to stop and think about what they are supposed to do and why is going to be so much more effective now. I hope we can translate that to the field as CDP envisions.