Spring practice opens tomorrow

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I really wish this would change back to open practices. I miss driving down to watch spring practices.

I also believe the open practices help to generate more excitement for GT football.
It's not gonna happen. Our i-phone society has made it too risky. The coaches want to be free to say and do as they please without the risk of something they say or do ending up on youtube the very same day.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just wish we could see what was going on, rather than just hear about all the Lake Woebegone players we have.
It's not gonna happen. Our i-phone society has made it too risky. The coaches want to be free to say and do as they please without the risk of something they say or do ending up on youtube the very same day.

You're right. The risk to embarrassing those in control outweighs the benefit to the program they are supposed to be promoting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just wish we could see what was going on, rather than just hear about all the Lake Woebegone players we have.

You're right. The risk to embarrassing those in control outweighs the benefit to the program they are supposed to be promoting.
The benefit is minute. The only guys going to see practices anyway are hardcore fans already. Besides, nobody has open practices anymore.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The benefit is minute. The only guys going to see practices anyway are hardcore fans already. Besides, nobody has open practices anymore.

Some do. Florida and South Carolina do.

And I think you're wrong about the only ones going being hardcore fans. We used to see quite a few high school football players come to watch the practices.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

Practices at Southern under PJ were wide open. I mean, you could sit at Wendy's with a double and a Frosty and watch practice. But ... there was a contingent of older fans who came to every practice and if you looked out of place, they asked who you were and what you were doing there. Those guys were serious. They even took attendance. If a dude missed a practice because he had to take his wife to the doctor, they'd tell him that was no excuse. Now, PJ didn't have a whole lot of choice - the Eagle Creek fields were right next to the soccer field, before it got moved, and the busiest intersection in the Boro.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Practices at Southern under PJ were wide open. I mean, you could sit at Wendy's with a double and a Frosty and watch practice. But ... there was a contingent of older fans who came to every practice and if you looked out of place, they asked who you were and what you were doing there. Those guys were serious. They even took attendance. If a dude missed a practice because he had to take his wife to the doctor, they'd tell him that was no excuse. Now, PJ didn't have a whole lot of choice - the Eagle Creek fields were right next to the soccer field, before it got moved, and the busiest intersection in the Boro.
That was a long time ago. GT's practices were open then also.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Some do. Florida and South Carolina do.

And I think you're wrong about the only ones going being hardcore fans. We used to see quite a few high school football players come to watch the practices.
I would think that potential recruits would still be allowed to attend spring practice.