Spring Position Battle - WR

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm enjoying the QB development discussion but it'd more appropriate for another thread. Any new thoughts on the WR battle this spring?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CAREER PASSING STATISTICS
Year Lge Team Age # GP Comp Att % YdsTDINT TD% INT% Y/G Y/ARAT
1982 NCAA Georgia Southern Eagles 17 11 26 66 39.4 316 3 2 4.5 3.0 28.7 4.8 88.6
1983 NCAA Georgia Southern Eagles 18 9 51 105 48.6 886 5 6 4.8 5.7 98.4 8.4 123.7
1984 NCAA Georgia Southern Eagles 19 11 109 220 49.5 1694 12 13 5.5 5.9 154.0 7.7 120.4
1985 NCAA Georgia Southern Eagles 20 15 134 238 56.3 2184 15 10 6.3 4.2 145.6 9.2 145.8
1986 NCAA Georgia Southern Eagles

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/hawaii/

I pulled up his stats in Hawaii and I wouldn't say they display a consistent passing attack although there was a two year stretch of 2000+ passing yards. That kind of supports the argument that it can be done in this offense. (I had to go back to 88, 89 to find it)
You see Tracy's stats above again this is not making your case stronger.
As far as with Nesbitt if Tim Tebow can be an effective passer I see absolutely no reason why Nesbitt couldn't.
BTW contrary to popular opinion I don't hate CPJ's offense per se, I do wish it would be modified and become more balanced.
I see your point on Ham, but his stats are all better, some significantly so, than Nesbitt's except for td/int ratio which is virtually identical. His completion % over his career is nearly 10 percentage points better. One interesting note, in Ham's best year, '85, he threw the ball 238 times (15.9 passes/game)! In Josh's best year, '09, he threw it 162 times (11.6 tosses/game). I guess this shows what CPJ can and will do when he's more comfortable throwing the ball.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Waller and Smelter have the lead out of the gate heading into Spring practice. I think Smelter is one of our better players and think he will continue to be so in 2014. Waller was inconsistent but seemed to be heading in a better direction toward the end of last season. I think this being his last year, perhaps his motivation to play hard all the time will be upped with the prospects of playing pro ball in 2015. I think Autry coming back and being better is a bit of a crapshoot. ACL injuries usually require a full year to get back to near full go and he went down mid season or so last year. Jeune and Messick are unproven and hopefully will develop into good players over time. Summers needs to come on this season. There has been some talk of moving him to A Back but I think he will remain at WR this season. I think Corey Dennis will continue to be held in reserve until we need the old end around pass back to the QB play.

If you look at the roster we have a ton of walk on receivers and perhaps one will emerge from this list:

Jamie Alvarez
Marty Alcala
Matt Serpico (moved from LB to WR this off season)
Brandon Oliver
Hunter Marshall
Will Smith

Of course Travin Henry is going to get a look on defense and I hope he shows he can contribute there. Incoming freshmen who could potentially play WR are:

Jalen Johnson (could also play Safety)
Myles Autry (slated for A Back for now)
Clinton Lynch (slated for A Back for now)

It seems that we have a lot of guys at this position much like we have a lot of guys at A Back. I think we really need to focus on developing our back ups at this position because both Smelter and Waller will be gone after this season and we need some solid replacements lined up by the end of this season. I expect that Autry and Summers will emerge as the second teamers and Jeune and Messick as the third teamers.

Go Jackets!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Waller and Smelter have the lead out of the gate heading into Spring practice. I think Smelter is one of our better players and think he will continue to be so in 2014. Waller was inconsistent but seemed to be heading in a better direction toward the end of last season. I think this being his last year, perhaps his motivation to play hard all the time will be upped with the prospects of playing pro ball in 2015. I think Autry coming back and being better is a bit of a crapshoot. ACL injuries usually require a full year to get back to near full go and he went down mid season or so last year. Jeune and Messick are unproven and hopefully will develop into good players over time. Summers needs to come on this season. There has been some talk of moving him to A Back but I think he will remain at WR this season. I think Corey Dennis will continue to be held in reserve until we need the old end around pass back to the QB play.

If you look at the roster we have a ton of walk on receivers and perhaps one will emerge from this list:

Jamie Alvarez
Marty Alcala
Brandon Oliver
Hunter Marshall
Will Smith

Of course Travin Henry is going to get a look on defense and I hope he shows he can contribute there. Incoming freshmen who could potentially play WR are:

It seems that we have a lot of guys at this position much like we have a lot of guys at A Back. I think we really need to focus on developing our back ups at this position because both Smelter and Waller will be gone after this season and we need some solid replacements lined up by the end of this season. I expect that Autry and Summers will emerge as the second teamers and Jeune and Messick as the third teamers.

Go Jackets!
Good points Jerry. That is the first I have heard/thought about putting Summers at AB, but I like it. I am developing the opinion (slowly over time) that the best guys for WR in this offense are large physical guys who can block like crazy, but are fast enough to slip by people (who are preoccupied with the run) and good at winning contested balls, rather than undersized blazing fast route runners. ABs are great for that kind of role. Maybe Summers is a better fit there. Safeties play way shallower against us than they do against most offenses. There are plenty of opportunities for our guys (both ABs and WRs) to get behind the defense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I am developing the opinion (slowly over time) that the best guys for WR in this offense are large physical guys who can block like crazy, but are fast enough to slip by people (who are preoccupied with the run) and good at winning contested balls, rather than undersized blazing fast route runners.
You just described Bay Bay to a T.

Cam

Helluva Engineer

Jamie Alvarez
Marty Alcala
Brandon Oliver
Hunter Marshall
Will Smith

Go Jackets!

Hmm... That roster is wrong with Hunter Marshall listed there. I grew up with him and he is currently on his Mormon mission trip. He didn't do well his first semester and his parents gave him the ultimatum of either going on his trip or paying for his schooling himself. He hasn't been here in nearly a year and he'll be playing for BYU (or Utah State) when he gets back. Which is a shame, he was a tremendous athlete and great kid. I was proud to have him on the team. I wonder who keeps up the rosters online because I know the heights and weights are mostly bogus too...

But I digress. It doesn't seem like Waller did himself any favors with whatever rule he violated. I hope it only motivates him to get his starting position back when he returns. But as long as Autry and Summers stay out of trouble, their futures look bright. I just want the best player out there though.