Spring Position Battle - WR

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
That may be, but it doesn't jive with his offer sheet nor his abominable passing accuracy at GT.

Just answered the question you posed. IIRC his HS passing numbers were very good, I'd have to go back and check but I think he had over 40 TDs passing and 20 TDs rushing his senior year. I do remember he worked exclusively out of the gun.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If everybody else wanted him at safety, then how was he a 4* qb recruit? Maybe he was a 4* athlete?

Because he was a VERY good QB. One of the top QBs in the nation. He put up ridiculous numbers at QB, and was pretty much a legend by his junior year in HS.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/nesbitt_joshua00.html

Think about those numbers he put up playing both ways. Incredible.

He was also a VERY good Safety on the high school level. Nesbitt was just a great football player that could probably have played LB or RB on the college level. GT was very fortunate that he signed with us.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He was first team All-ACC in 2009. I'd say it translated pretty well considering our system isn't conducive to QBs putting up big numbers.
I agree, he was a great qb FOR US. However, there's a good reason none of the many factories surrounding GT wanted his services at quarterback. We saw it first hand when he dropped back to pass. Imagine if we did not have Thomas at wr!!! His completion % would have dropped even lower than his paltry 40%.

My point in this post is not to tarnish the legacy of one of my favorite players to don the white and gold. It's to point out the flaws in the star system. If this kid was truly a 4* qb, he would have been courted by all the major powers in the region and we never would have got him. The only reason we did is because we were the only school to offer him qb. If Gailey would have stayed, Nesbitt never would have been our qb in '09. He probably would have been an All ACC safety, though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree, he was a great qb FOR US. However, there's a good reason none of the many factories surrounding GT wanted his services at quarterback. We saw it first hand when he dropped back to pass. Imagine if we did not have Thomas at wr!!! His completion % would have dropped even lower than his paltry 40%.

My point in this post is not to tarnish the legacy of one of my favorite players to don the white and gold. It's to point out the flaws in the star system. If this kid was truly a 4* qb, he would have been courted by all the major powers in the region and we never would have got him. The only reason we did is because we were the only school to offer him qb. If Gailey would have stayed, Nesbitt never would have been our qb in '09. He probably would have been an All ACC safety, though.

Well, if you do research on CPJ's quarterbacks, none of them have a sterling passing record outside of the legendary Tracy Ham and that QB at Hawaii. His QBs have been littered with completion percentages under 50%...at that point you have to blame the system, not the talent. CPJ's spread option just isn't an offense that's going to put up impressive numbers in the air since our passing concepts are practice intensive and so are our running concepts. CPJ chose to go the route of the ground. I mean, we just a had a high tier QB recruit leave for another school because that's what he realized 3 years into the system. If you look at what Nesbitt accomplished in our offense compared to past CPJ QBs, his 4 star DUAL threat rating was on point.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, if you do research on CPJ's quarterbacks, none of them have a sterling passing record outside of the legendary Tracy Ham and that QB at Hawaii. His QBs have been littered with completion percentages under 50%...at that point you have to blame the system, not the talent. CPJ's spread option just isn't an offense that's going to put up impressive numbers in the air since our passing concepts are practice intensive and so are our running concepts. CPJ chose to go the route of the ground. I mean, we just a had a high tier QB recruit leave for another school because that's what he realized 3 years into the system. If you look at what Nesbitt accomplished in our offense compared to past CPJ QBs, his 4 star DUAL threat rating was on point.
Yes, our offense is a ground attack, but that doesn't mean we don't throw the ball and it doesn't mean Nesbitt was good at it. He was a terrible passer. It's ok to say it. It doesn't make you less of a fan, sheesh. Don't you wonder in the slightest why no other BCS team offered him at qb? Tevin, who wasn't Payton Manning by any means, was a better passer than Nesbitt. That should tell you something.

Read this review by rivals:

Explosive athlete. Has good vision and is physical for a quarterback when running the football. He has good feet, is very elusive and can take it to the house if you let him break containment and get past your secondary. Shows off a strong and accurate arm between 15-25 yards. I want to see if he can go downtown. Has good intangibles, often putting his high school team on his shoulders and leading them down the field. Isn’t afraid to play when the stakes are high. Is very physically impressive when you see him in person. He also has the ability, size and speed to play running back, safety or wide receiver in college if things don’t work out under center.

99% of that is right on the money. All except for the accurate part. He was not accurate, not even for short distances. Infact, he was less accurate on short routes. He had no touch. Every pass was a lazer. Like I said, everything else is dead on and that's why he had so much success in OUR OFFENSE. Nobody else wanted him at QB and it's no mystery why.

As for Vad, only one other team wanted him at qb and that was late in the process. I guess we all know why that was the case as well.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes, our offense is a ground attack, but that doesn't mean we don't throw the ball and it doesn't mean Nesbitt was good at it. He was a terrible passer. It's ok to say it. It doesn't make you less of a fan, sheesh. Don't you wonder in the slightest why no other BCS team offered him at qb? Tevin, who wasn't Payton Manning by any means, was a better passer than Nesbitt. That should tell you something.

Read this review by rivals:

99% of that is right on the money. All except for the accurate part. He was not accurate, not even for short distances. Infact, he was less accurate on short routes. He had no touch. Every pass was a lazer. Like I said, everything else is dead on and that's why he had so much success in OUR OFFENSE. Nobody else wanted him at QB and it's no mystery why.

As for Vad, only one other team wanted him at qb and that was late in the process. I guess we all know why that was the case as well.

Other teams wanted him at QB...GT wasn't the only one. He threw for over 2500 yards as a JR and SR, both years he had ONLY 4 INTs each season.

Just because CPJ didn't develop him doesn't mean someone else wouldn't have. CPJ doesn't have a history of developing QBs in the passing game. I'm not sure what you're arguing anymore. The orginal statment was that Nesbitt was a 4 star QB, and all evidence on this level suggest that it was accurate (1st team all acc qb, led us to ACC championship). Yeesh...done here.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The orginal statment was that Nesbitt was a 4 star QB, and all evidence on this level suggest that it was accurate (1st team all acc qb, led us to ACC championship). Yeesh...done here.
As we all know, the services rate qb's based on typical college offense, primarily on passing ability. He was successful in our unique offense based on his athleticism and leadership skills, not passing. Again, he was a terrible college passer and wouldn't have started for any other team in the ACC or us if we didn't run the option. You have said nothing to refute these statements in any of your posts. Yeesh right back atcha!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As we all know, the services rate qb's based on typical college offense, primarily on passing ability. He was successful in our unique offense based on his athleticism and leadership skills, not passing. Again, he was a terrible college passer and wouldn't have started for any other team in the ACC or us if we didn't run the option. You have said nothing to refute these statements in any of your posts. Yeesh right back atcha!

Dude...you have no proof of what Nesbitt would have been in another offense. All you have to go by is him playing in an offense that has a history of QBs not doing well in the passing game. If you're going to make an assumption that Nesbitt could only play in CPJ's offense and no one else's than by all means you're welcome to it.

The guy put up phenominal numbers in HS, and didn't throw many interceptions when he threw TWICE as many passes than he did at GT. Evidence on that level suggests he would have been a good QB in a system like Urban Meyer's, or Oregon's, or Nevada's. Those guys have a great track record of developing Dual threat QBs in the passing AND running game. Unfortunately, we can't say the same about our offense.

Again...yeesh...