Spring Position Battle - WDE

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Georgia Tech know they had a player in Jeremiah Attaochu but I think even we were surprised at how good of a 2013 season he had...he took over at times and made big plays at big times. With Attoachu leaving we have a huge void here...we have to find someone to get after the passer.

Competitors - Tyler Stargel, Chaz Cheeks, Nick Menocal and KeShun Freeman

Favored - Tyler Stargel

Tyler Stargel battled his way up the depth chart and was second string all season...he did get a few reps but not that many. His results varied but there was nothing that when you watch the film blows you away..he has potential and is a very hard worker. He is going to be counted on this season and we need him to have a big jump this year...he is more important then people may realize.

Another guy is Chaz Cheeks...He was brought in as a OLB in the 3-4 scheme but is now at DE. He has yet to make a impact at Tech and has not been mentioned very much. He played in a couple of games last year. He is still trying to add on enough weight and muscle where he can handle the run game.

Nick Menocal is another one that was caught between the move from a 3-4 to a 4-3...I will say that every time I talk to someone at Tech about hard workers this off-season he has been mentioned...so I applaud the kid for giving it his all. He isn't a natural DE and in my view will not be a every down guy...he has played on special teams and this is where I would look for him to see most of his action moving forward.

Last on the list is true Freshman KeShun Freeman...He enrolled early and is eligible for Spring practice. With our need at WDE I can see why we are giving him a shot at that position first...KeShun does have a quick first step and seems to have a nose for the football. I am not sure of his weight but from seeing him on NSD you can tell that he has gotten bigger. I actually could see Freeman earning time in the Fall...him being here for the Spring is a big advantage for him and us.

* Travin Henry will also be at DE...Much isnt known about him yet as he has been at WR since he has been at Tech.

Prediction - Tyler Stargel.

Last edited:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, just looking at the list and the predicted order of finish doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I got to see a lot of Stargell during the 2013 season and what I saw was a guy who would be providing depth on most rosters. He did some decent things but he was far from imposing. He is not a guy that OCs have to scheme for and that is what every team needs at that position. The rest of the guys I haven't seen much, so my comments would be worthless. Having somebody establish an explosive edge rush is an urgent need for this defense. It is hard to imagine progress will be made next year, or possibly even maintaining status quo, without it.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Well, just looking at the list and the predicted order of finish doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I got to see a lot of Stargell during the 2013 season and what I saw was a guy who would be providing depth on most rosters. He did some decent things but he was far from imposing. He is not a guy that OCs have to scheme for and that is what every team needs at that position. The rest of the guys I haven't seen much, so my comments would be worthless. Having somebody establish an explosive edge rush is an urgent need for this defense. It is hard to imagine progress will be made next year, or possibly even maintaining status quo, without it.

I didnt list them in any order..My predicted order of finish would be Stargel, Freeman, Cheeks and Menocal. That is being on the hopeful side though.

This is a big area of concern for us...We are going to be banking heavy on Kenderius Whitehead.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I didnt list them in any order..My predicted order of finish would be Stargel, Freeman, Cheeks and Menocal. That is being on the hopeful side though.

This is a big area of concern for us...We are going to be banking heavy on Kenderius Whitehead.
Eric, if you included Freeman; why did you leave Whitehead out to start with? I think it is Whitehead all the way!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric, if you included Freeman; why did you leave Whitehead out to start with? I think it is Whitehead all the way!

It is a Spring position battle update...KeShun Freeman is in school (at GT) now and will be practicing with the team for Spring practice...Kederius Whitehead is still at GMC and won't be here till the Summer...so of course he can't practice with the team until the Fall.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
It is a Spring position battle update...KeShun Freeman is in school (at GT) now and will be practicing with the team for Spring practice...Kederius Whitehead is still at GMC and won't be here till the Summer...so of course he can't practice with the team until the Fall.
Thanks

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Why not run more 3-4 ? If Cheeks, Menocal, Stargel, & Robbins are more OLB types, why not run more 3-4 sets. It doesn't have to be the base but why not adjust to the skills and build of the players that are current and adjust out as you get the players you recruited (Freeman, Whitehead, ect) to fit your scheme more acclimated.

Tech ran some 3-4 set with Attoachu last year, why not do it again and be flexible.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Why not run more 3-4 ? If Cheeks, Menocal, Stargel, & Robbins are more OLB types, why not run more 3-4 sets. It doesn't have to be the base but why not adjust to the skills and build of the players that are current and adjust out as you get the players you recruited (Freeman, Whitehead, ect) to fit your scheme more acclimated.

Tech ran some 3-4 set with Attoachu last year, why not do it again and be flexible.

who says we won't?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
We ran the 3-4 some last year...it's all about matchups and advantages. Not like t will be out bread and butter.
And, we ran some 4-3 even though 3-4 was our base once Groh left and Kelly took over. And, we were better for it.

Like DCS said, it's more about style/philosphy than about alignment.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have this wild hope that Travin Henry will show up give the position a shot in the arm with his WR speed on the edge. Am I dreaming? I haven't seen him play ever beyond his HS tape.