Spring Position Battle - QB

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
After a disappointing 2013 campaign from the QB position, Georgia Tech hopes to rebound this season. The transfer from Vad Lee leaves this battle wide open as only two have game experience (Thomas and Byerly) and it isn't a lot.

Competitors - Justin Thomas, Tim Byerly, Ty Griffin and Matthew Jordan

Favored - Justin Thomas

Justin Thomas has to be considered the odds on favorite to win the job heading into Spring...Thomas was the second string QB last year and earned some playing time as the season progressed. He has shown that he has the quickness and natural ability to perform in this offense...The thing that was a big concern last season with Thomas was ball security...He was a gambler and would make pitches at the last second when the pitch was no longer there.This is an issue that will have to be fixed if he wants to win the job...I love what he brings to the field with his quickness and speed. Paul Johnson has also said several times about how underrated his arm is.

Second up on my list is Tim Byerly...Tim transferred into to Georgia Tech as a walk-on from Middle Tennessee State. Last season we seen him playing very sporadically..In the time that he played though he seemed very comfortable in this offense and appeared to make good reads. In my eyes I think Tim would be a great game manager and someone who would excel with good players around him in this offense where all he had to was make the right reads and get the ball to them...He is a bit less athletic than the others but I like his intangibles. He will put up a bigger fight that some may anticipate.

Next up is Ty Griffin...He is a bit more unknown than the others. Ty was a late pickup for Tech in the 2013 class. Ty chose Tech over Navy, Army and Air Force so he is someone that all the options schools wanted at QB. I would say Ty is a much better runner than passer at this point from what I have seen...He is shifty and appears to be quick. He has good speed but not elite like a Justin Thomas. Not a lot is known about Griffin at this point and I am very excited to finally get to see him perform in the Spring. He is easily the dark horse in this battle.

The last one left is true Freshman Matthew Jordan...Jordan made the decision to enroll early awhile back and when he made the decision he had no idea that he would come in competing for the starting job right away. Jordan has all the natural tools to succeed in this offense..He could be the best passing QB that we have signed so far. I would say he is the longest shot to win the job this year due to his inexperience in a option offense and moving from shotgun to under center.

Prediction - Justin Thomas.

I think Justin Thomas wins the job and Byerly is the #2 guy.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe JT could really give the O another dimension if he improves his ball handling. He is just a small crease from taking it the distance on any given play. I really like what he brings our offense.

Yella-Britches

Georgia Tech Fan
I hope we use Byerly for some midline though. I miss 4th and Nesbitt situations.
Thanks Wrecking - My primary observation of Byerly was, "boy, he can carry a pile like Nesbitt". More than about anyone on the team lately, Tim would not go down - always reminding me of Nesbitt. I get the impression that we don't have those guys who can just keep on truckin' - one, two defenders and our kids are on the ground. Godhigh of course, was a pinball - just bounced off the defenders - but anybody else goes down w/a pile of defenders on their back rather than dragging them for another 3 to 4 yards.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
JT can run the midline. The midline is more about getting a good push from the line than it is about QB size. If the D stacks the line, and JT gets a lane then good luck catching him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
JT can run the midline. The midline is more about getting a good push from the line than it is about QB size. If the D stacks the line, and JT gets a lane then good luck catching him.
The midline works when it is called at the appropriate times. It just like any other play, it's based on defensive tendencies and where they are overplaying. It was there for the taking all season, but Vad couldn't execute it so we stopped doing it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Reminds me of 2011 QB situation when Vad was redshirted but was the #3 QB and was only going to be used if Tevin got seriously injured. That's probably how the staff is going to use Matthew Jordan. Don't want to bag on Vad, the guy had to do what he had to do, but I really think MJ is going to eventually become what we thought Vad would be. I really loved the throws he made in his film. The staff definitely got a steal there.

This is where it hurt to lose Damon Mitchell last year to Arkansas. Nothing against Byerly or Griffin, but Mitchell is the Nesbitt type but with a little more speed. Kid is a bruiser with a good arm. He would be coming off his redshirt now. Would have been Thunder (Mitchell) and Lightening (JT) at QB.

Byerly will play a lot of snaps. I'm comfortable with him at QB. He's not flashy or exciting, he just gets the job done. I think he's a replica of Tevin, but with a better arm. I thought he actually ran the offense the best of any of the 3 QBs last season, from spring on. Granted he didn't play against the top defense.

JT can be dangerous back there because he's going to put so much pressure on the edges...which means the DBs better get their reads right. By virtue of his threat on the edges, he's going to help our receivers a lot. Remember that pass off the counter that Stephen Hill was open and scored easily against UNC (should have been twice)? I think that will be devastating with JT back there. Even if he doesn't decide to release that ball and keeps it, that open space will be a playground for him with that type space in front of him.

My only question with JT is will he be able to handle the physical demands of the position. Sure he can lessen the blows a bit, ala Tevin, but even Tevin had to take hits because that's the nature of the position. JT isn't a big guy, and he probably will never get near 200lbs.

I like the guys at QB, but the reality is, if JT gets hurt, we may be on thin ice.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The biggest advantage JT gives us is he forces defenders to not only commit, but to commit early in the play. Vad couldn't even do the first part. Our offense depends on it. I don't know how many times I saw the pitch read play the qb AND the pitch man last season.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Every single person I talked to (while I was usually defending TW) said VL was the Man. Said he would be the best QB CPJ had ever had - Anywhere. He could run, pass, do it all. Everyone said that. And it was his third year in the program.

Now we will be starting, in year 7, another new QB. I wonder if this is the biggest problem we have in our program?

The teams winning are not having this changeover with, I would assume , the most important position on the field.

Love the Speed JT brings, but we still have to throw at least a little.

Time will tell.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Every single person I talked to (while I was usually defending TW) said VL was the Man. Said he would be the best QB CPJ had ever had - Anywhere. He could run, pass, do it all. Everyone said that.

Guess those guys never saw college football Hall of Famer Tracey Ham play. :)

Definitely going to be interesting to see how things shake out this spring and summer. I hope Justin runs away with it.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
The QBs I have observed over the years that are extremely reliable are those who are not only athletic and have the tools, but they are great leaders and mentally tough. I think the coach should put out of his mind all expectations of any individual and concentrate on the QB who performs the best, has the respect of his teammates, and is mentally tough. If any of the candidates are exceptional athletes, but come in second to the starter, I would find another place for that candidate to see the field and help the team. I would probably put the third best QB as the backup in a situation such as that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't know who's going to win this one. I hope it's Thomas because he has such a high ceiling, but he has got to calm down in the games. If he does – and learns to read Ds – I think we might have another Keenan Reynolds on our hands. If that is so, it will cause much wailing and gnashing of teeth among opposing DCs.

Oth, I wouldn't be that surprised to see Byerly win out. He's actually better at managing the O then any of the others and he knows how to win (he always has). I really don't think there would be too much difference between him and Thomas in terms of results, though Thomas would be a lot more fun to watch. As I've said here before, watching Bylerly is not a thrilling experience until you check the stats.

Now watch: Griffin will win the job.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The job is up for the taking. IMO it boils down to who will work harder in the offseason to take it. I like the fact that it is an open competition, it helps ensure that we put the best player for our offense on the field this fall.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
MJ likely a redshirt but I like his passing abilities.
I'm hoping a tandem of Byerly and JT. Thunder and Lightning.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
The one thing I noticed in his limited action this year was that Thomas has a much quicker release than Lee did when he threw it. I think that's a big plus. In addition it will be nice to see a QB running this system who has not only top end speed, but quickness. I'll be shocked if anyone else is starting.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think JT will be way calmer as a starter and cut down on those crazy pitches. imo last season he knew his opportunities were extremely limited so he was trying to hard at times to make something happen, even when nothing was there

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Every single person I talked to (while I was usually defending TW) said VL was the Man. Said he would be the best QB CPJ had ever had - Anywhere. He could run, pass, do it all. Everyone said that. And it was his third year in the program.

Now we will be starting, in year 7, another new QB. I wonder if this is the biggest problem we have in our program?

The teams winning are not having this changeover with, I would assume , the most important position on the field.

Love the Speed JT brings, but we still have to throw at least a little.

Time will tell.

Silas,
Hush your mouth-bringing up obvious problems like that-either PJ can't see talent or can't develop it.Now we remembering "lovingly" of TW (his Sr yr mostly).
I also would be very surprised to see much more success at QB with JT this yr than Vad last.Again,it is his FIRST yr starting.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Silas,
Hush your mouth-bringing up obvious problems like that-either PJ can't see talent or can't develop it.Now we remembering "lovingly" of TW (his Sr yr mostly).
I also would be very surprised to see much more success at QB with JT this yr than Vad last.Again,it is his FIRST yr starting.

Vad didn't improve (enough) throughout the year. I expect whoever wins this job to get better and better running the option as the year goes...

/