Spring Position Battle - Left Guard

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
As for his motor: he's 6'7" and will probably play at ~ 345. How much of a motor do you need at that size? You'll outweigh most DTs by somewhere between 25 - 50 lbs. If you can move at all - and he can - ferocity will be sort of beside the point.
Could not disagree more with this.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
One more thing. Boomer, as part of one of his excellent posts, asks if Devine has taken his conditioning seriously and if he has a motor.

Apparently, he has lost weight and built muscle. Whether that will be enough is a wait and see proposition.

As for his motor: he's 6'7" and will probably play at ~ 345. How much of a motor do you need at that size? You'll outweigh most DTs by somewhere between 25 - 50 lbs. If you can move at all - and he can - ferocity will be sort of beside the point.
Ferocity is never beside the point on the football field. Everything you do on the field needs to be 110% towards getting to a destination, and arriving with a bad attitude.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That Nike camp video of Devine was so so impressive. If we were playing a different offense, he would certainly be a tackle. In our offense, he is a guard all the way. Who knows, if he has taken his conditioning seriously or if he has a motor? Personally, if the answer to those two questions is yes, then I think it will be hard to keep him off the field. If Griffin is all that, then I say push Braun out to tackle along with him and give Devine a chance at guard. Having a G-C-G combo averaging 320 bills would be imposing to say the least.
I could see Braun or Griffin at OT. Both are athletic.