Spring Position Battle - DT

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think it is a given that Adam Gotsis has one DT position locked down...however with the graduation of Euclid Cummings the other DT spot is open for the taking.

Competitors - Justin Akins, Darius Commissiong, Patrick Gamble, Francis Kallon, Shawn Green, Jimmie Kitchens

Favored - No one.

I will start off with the older guys...Shawn Green. He has had a frustrating career so far as every time he seems to have things together he gets hit with a injury...he has missed several games in his career at Tech. When he is healthy he probably fires off the snap quicker than anyone on our team...he has a quick first step. Shawn is not that big of a guy but his strength seems to make up for that...I am optimistic that he closes out his career on a high note.

Jimmie Kitchen was finally healthy for the first time as a Rs Sophomore....he played in only four games last year but he showed that he has some talent when he was on the field. I expect a much bigger increase in playing time for him this upcoming season...he is a sleeper in my mind.

The one with the most hype entering college was by far was Francis Kallon...I think fans expected too much out of him right away. I always said year three is when I expected him to start getting some meaningful snaps and I still stick to that. Francis Kallon got up in the 310 range but is back down in the 290's now with more muscle and stronger than he was at 300+. I will be keeping a very close eye on him this Spring.

Patrick Gamble won defensive Scout team player of the year back in 2012...last season he got to see his first real game action last season. He was a bit of a tweener in my mind..he was not quite quick enough for defensive end but was not heavy enough for tackle...He has been focusing on putting on weight in the off-season and he is going to start the Spring out at DT.

Justin Akins was originally recruited as a end but his body kept growing and he is now at defensive tackle...About a year and a half ago he was in the 230's. Now he is in the 295 range...he is still extremely raw but the upside with him is good. He has a lot of older guys ahead of him so he is going to have to really play well to earn time this season.

The last one is Darius Commissiong...Commissiong chose Tech over a boatload of other offers. He is the prototype that many like to see at tackle. I am not sure of what his weight is but he is a big bodied kid who holds his weight well...he had a really good season on the scout team. The coaches are really happy with what they have seen out of both DT's that redshirted last season. One of the guys I am most excited to watch in Spring.

Prediction - Patrick Gamble

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
What's wrong with a 300lb run stuffer. Commissiong was recruited for NT by Groh so I expect him to be that run stuffing Beast next year.
This is a hard position to peg due to limited experience to no experience the players have.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
What's wrong with a 300lb run stuffer. Commissiong was recruited for NT by Groh so I expect him to be that run stuffing Beast next year.
This is a hard position to peg due to limited experience to no experience the players have.

Who said there was anything wrong with a 300 pound run stuffer? There is more to run stuffing than just weight. If that was the case TJ Barnes would have been a monster against the run...must more about pad level, quickness, etc.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Fwiw last years all americans at DT

1st team
Aaron Donald - 6-1 286 (at combine)
Will Sutton - 6-1 303 (at combine)

2nd team
Timmy Jernigan - 6-2 299 (at combine)
Kelcy Quarles - 6-4 297

3rd team
RaShede Hageman 6-6 310 (at combine)
Leonard Williams 6-5 290 (Per USCw)

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Eric, I was on the AJC earlier looking at Ken Sugiura's defensive depth chart prediction. He said that Jimmie Kitchen (IIRC) was moving to DE. Have you heard anything about this?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I've heard nothing of that...he's at DT as far as I know. I know they will move a lot of guys around in Spring to get the best 4 on the field...They like Gotsis at DE. But we will see what happens soon!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I like Gotsis a lot. Think he may already be as good as V. Walker sr year. Not sure he has the tools to p,ay DE though...and if he did the DT spot would seem to be weak and thin.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think Gotsis is too valuable at DT to be moved permanently but I think he will get some snaps at DE as he has before.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
What's wrong with a 300lb run stuffer.

You are too in love with that 300lb number. There can be a lot wrong with a 300lb run stuffer if they're only fat and can't move. Especially when you play some of the teams we do.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Leverage is the key. U could be 250. With good leverage average strength.if u get under the pads u can control the man in the pads

I fear this it what is holding Francis Kallon back. If he can't overcome that, his career will look a lot like TJ's. Even after years in the program and being told over and over he had to play lower, as soon as the ball was snapped, TJ would come up. If you don't play low naturally, I don't know how you overcome that tendency. Bigtech is right. Once someone gets low leverage on you, it doesn't matter if you weight 400 pounds.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
U never want pop up linemen, hence when u go to the football field u see the sledge and the shoot that u use really enforces these traits

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just my thoughts on this position. I agree that Gotsis has one starting spot locked down going into next season barring off season injury. Here is how I have the other prospects rated in order of top to bottom:

Shawn Green - has shown flashes of quality when he has been able to play, hoping for injury free season
Pat Gamble - he played sparingly but showed some good things during limited playing opportunities
Jimmie Kitchen - same as Gamble except not in as good of shape as Gamble, could come on if he gets in shape
Francis Kallon - probably not going to be what we hoped for but could develop into a good back up
Justin Akins - have heard good things about him and I think he wants to be good, hope he is
Darius Commissiong - not heard much about him, his tweets indicate he is not totally happy with his his situation here, hope he hangs in there and tries to make it.
Adrian Gardner - walk on who provides scout team reps.

Just my feeling now but I fell Kallon and Commissiong are not going to be what we thought they were. I feel like Gamble and Akins provide our best long term shot at upgrading the positon. Green and Kitchen need to get in shape, stay healthy and play their tails off this coming season if we hope to improve our interior line play.

Go Jackets!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The description of Gamble being a "tweener" is perfect IMHO. I hope Jerry is wrong about Kallon and the Commish. In a perfect world, I think Gotsis would go to strong DE. Personally, I think it would highlight his natural abilities better. This position is my top worry for the coming year / years. It is the foundation for any defense and, at present, ours has cracks in it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just my thoughts on this position. I agree that Gotsis has one starting spot locked down going into next season barring off season injury. Here is how I have the other prospects rated in order of top to bottom:

Shawn Green - has shown flashes of quality when he has been able to play, hoping for injury free season
Pat Gamble - he played sparingly but showed some good things during limited playing opportunities
Jimmie Kitchen - same as Gamble except not in as good of shape as Gamble, could come on if he gets in shape
Francis Kallon - probably not going to be what we hoped for but could develop into a good back up
Justin Akins - have heard good things about him and I think he wants to be good, hope he is
Darius Commissiong - not heard much about him, his tweets indicate he is not totally happy with his his situation here, hope he hangs in there and tries to make it.
Adrian Gardner - walk on who provides scout team reps.

Just my feeling now but I fell Kallon and Commissiong are not going to be what we thought they were. I feel like Gamble and Akins provide our best long term shot at upgrading the positon. Green and Kitchen need to get in shape, stay healthy and play their tails off this coming season if we hope to improve our interior line play.

Go Jackets!
What are you seeing on twitter about Commissiong? He was just named the scout team defensive POY for goodness sakes....

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I saw a tweet from him a few days ago that said WTE, "I'm about ready to say "F" it." Hopefully he was addressing something other than school and football but I can't imagine what else would be on his mind. At least that is always on my mind.

Go Jackets!