Spring Position battle - B-Back

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Boomergump: Maybe, I did not make myself clear enough. I certainly was not implying that we should use backs or wide receivers that run a 5.5. I was merely stressing the difference in time between 4.5 and 5.5 as only being one second, and then I asked the readers to count off one second to really see how short it is. I will now add this for the reader to count of one tenth of a second to see how short it is. I was stressing the importance of mental and physical quickness over straight ahead speed. Those with natural quickness or the instincts of quickness will normally outperform anyone with straight ahead speed. Absolute, straight ahead speed is a valued trait in a runner, but let me watch them run and see which one gets through the line the quickest; it s normally the one with quickness, or has so much strength he can bull his way through.

You must remember the skilled postion players only have a few tenths of a second between their top speeds. So the quicker they make their moves, the better they can utilize any speed they might have. An A Back can use speed to reach the corner. The B Back on most occasions will only utilize his speed once he breaks through the line or through a hole. Actually, even a slow B Back, if he is big and strong, can do a lot of damage up the middle, and still burst through the middle of the field for long TDs. Many times, even the slower B Backs are headed for a TD before the DBs even notice him, as he has already run by the LBs.

In my opinion, straight ahead speed is most desirable in kickoff returners. It is also desirable in wide receivers, but if a WR does not have the quickness or savy of a quick or deceptive fake, then he will not get open against those who give him a cushion, as he would lose several tenths of a second in making a motion fake that has no quickness to it. I was merely saying speed is not everything. Even a DB must have mental and physical quickness to get to the point of attack.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomergump: Maybe, I did not make myself clear enough. I certainly was not implying that we should use backs or wide receivers that run a 5.5. I was merely stressing the difference in time between 4.5 and 5.5 as only being one second, and then I asked the readers to count off one second to really see how short it is. I will now add this for the reader to count of one tenth of a second to see how short it is. I was stressing the importance of mental and physical quickness over straight ahead speed. Those with natural quickness or the instincts of quickness will normally outperform anyone with straight ahead speed. Absolute, straight ahead speed is a valued trait in a runner, but let me watch them run and see which one gets through the line the quickest; it s normally the one with quickness, or has so much strength he can bull his way through.

You must remember the skilled postion players only have a few tenths of a second between their top speeds. So the quicker they make their moves, the better they can utilize any speed they might have. An A Back can use speed to reach the corner. The B Back on most occasions will only utilize his speed once he breaks through the line or through a hole. Actually, even a slow B Back, if he is big and strong, can do a lot of damage up the middle, and still burst through the middle of the field for long TDs. Many times, even the slower B Backs are headed for a TD before the DBs even notice him, as he has already run by the LBs.

In my opinion, straight ahead speed is most desirable in kickoff returners. It is also desirable in wide receivers, but if a WR does not have the quickness or savy of a quick or deceptive fake, then he will not get open against those who give him a cushion, as he would lose several tenths of a second in making a motion fake that has no quickness to it. I was merely saying speed is not everything. Even a DB must have mental and physical quickness to get to the point of attack.
I think we are in agreement. Quickness is very important.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Give me the BB that "… has so much strength he can bull his way through." I want Kyle Eckel! I want to watch a human bowling ball!

However, I am deprived of the opportunity. I think Coach likes his BBs to be able to run around trouble instead of over it (if he gets his choice, that is). But I keep hoping that we'll sign that 6' 240lbs BB who can't do anything but run in a straight line and right over people. I want those D players to be afraid that we'll run the dive.

Hope springs eternal, you know.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Give me the BB that "… has so much strength he can bull his way through." I want Kyle Eckel! I want to watch a human bowling ball!

However, I am deprived of the opportunity. I think Coach likes his BBs to be able to run around trouble instead of over it (if he gets his choice, that is). But I keep hoping that we'll sign that 6' 240lbs BB who can't do anything but run in a straight line and right over people. I want those D players to be afraid that we'll run the dive.

Hope springs eternal, you know.

I believe Donavon Wilson has bulked up a bit.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Travis Custis isnt a small guy...he's filled out. Seen him not long ago...he's ripped.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I know about those two worthies and I'm sure they could be good BBs for us. However …

They aren't this (Oh, no! The Eckel clip again? Yes.):

Now, that's what I'm talking about! I haven't seen a back like that at Tech since PJ Daniels. I love guys like that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know about those two worthies and I'm sure they could be good BBs for us. However …

Now, that's what I'm talking about! I haven't seen a back like that at Tech since PJ Daniels. I love guys like that.

Look at Donovan Wilson's HS tape. He can be that guy. Dude was the only offensive threat on his team, and still put up big numbers. Not just running the ball, but pounding that ball up the middle between the tackles. This guy had 8-9 defenders in the box at times and still bullied his way to big yards. Gonna be a good 2-3 years at BB with Custis once those two are more established.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

I don't see it. In that video, he didn't look that much different than David Sims. I think Allen and certainly Dwyer were better than Eckel.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see it. In that video, he didn't look that much different than David Sims. I think Allen and certainly Dwyer were better than Eckel.
I agree with this. He had some good runs, but he also missed on a couple touchdowns. Sims would have looked like a stud if he was running through those holes.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think I have really settled in my mind what the ideal makeup of a BB is. On one hand it is nice to have the explosion plays like Dwyer, but he suffered from more negative plays than any of our other BBs. Getting a sure fire 3 yards most every touch would be awesome too, but would DCs feel threatened enough to open up the outside without the big plays? The first thing I want is ball security and absolute reliability with the MESH. I guess after that I want a big (230+)physical bucking bronco who punishes people with low pad level and high knees. Then, after that, cutting ability, vision and breakaway speed. Having ALL that is great, but it is hard to find in one person.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Dwyer was better, but let's face it: players like Dwyer are once in a generation. What I'm looking for is real consistency at BB and, imho, a punishing runner like Eckel is more likely to give it, year in, year out.

And, come on, did you ever see Sims do a run like those where Eckel rumbles up field, gets hit multiple times, doesn't go down, and then runs over somebody at the end? I watched Sims throughout his entire career and didn't see a single run like the ones in Eckel's clip. Indeed, I've only seen two players at BB during Coach's time at Tech who could equal or surpass him: Dwyer and, in the few times he played BB, Lucas Cox. Too bad Lucas graduated so soon! He'd have been perfect at the position.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I see a slight improvement in the B Back position this year. I think that Laskey will start and maybe have the job the entire year. I do believe that there will be better backups, and if Custis lives up to the fan's hype, then could become a factor.