Spring Position Battle - A - Back

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Isn't Bostic's forte speed? A reply stated that Bostic runs into his blockers. Maybe the blockers are not getting out fast enough to do their job (thinking about it too much) and the edge given by Bostic's speed is being negated by the blockers being in the way. Film should be studied by the coach to see why Bostic is runnng into his own blockers. Maybe, the statement that Bostic runs into his blockers is a key about the blocking and not the runner, or the system offsets the speed of Bostic.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Isn't Bostic's forte speed? A reply stated that Bostic runs into his blockers. Maybe the blockers are not getting out fast enough to do their job (thinking about it too much) and the edge given by Bostic's speed is being negated by the blockers being in the way. Film should be studied by the coach to see why Bostic is runnng into his own blockers. Maybe, the statement that Bostic runs into his blockers is a key about the blocking and not the runner, or the system offsets the speed of Bostic.
We've had a good handful of guys faster than Bostic that never ran into blockers. It isn't about how fast he is, but his ability to see the field while he runs. This is a key difference in good players and great ones. We still talk about Choice's ability to read blockers. I don't know if it's an area that you can improve in, or if its just an innate ability that some guys have though.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Ive seen some decent runs out of Bostic against the lesser teams. Most of his memorable plays came thru the passing game. As a runner... This guy absolutely runs into his blockers almost every single time. I believe that is the reason he hasnt seen any PT and wont in the foreseeable future.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I like the duo of Days and Hill (if Deon is healhty) both have good size and Hill has shown he can carry the ball with very good production. 2nd group Perkins and Andrews. Those four have the most talent, imo. Wild card is Bostic, he really need to get his head right and use the talent the good Lord gave him!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I included him in the B back in position previews...he will likely make the move over to Bback during Spring practice. They want to have him cross trained so he can be an A and B back.
Hope he's another Anthony Allen. (to Custis' Dywer)

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Or he just has bad vision.

Which is why he doesn't return kicks anymore. Again, it's not all about speed.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The A Back position has really lagged since Jeff Monken left. I think Lamar is a good man but not a very effective coach for this postion. It seems we get less out of this position than any other position on the team. It really limits the effectiveness of Johnson's offense when this position does not produce. We have a lot of players lined up to play here but none that really excel. Here is how I would rank the position top to bottom:

Deon Hill
Dennis Andrews
Synjyn Days
Charles Perkins
B. J. Bostic
Tony Zenon
Isiah Willis
Austin McClellan
Clinton Lynch
C. J. Leggett
Myles Autry

In other words 11 guys trying to get on the field. I think the reason Johnson rotates these guys so much is because none of them really bring what he is looking for to the table. I'm hoping Hill and Andrews develop into better players and bring improved production next season but at this point, I will believe it when I see it. Days is just not a running back and should have been moved to defense several years ago. Perkins has some ability but is injury prone. I think Bostic and Zenon have pretty well checked out at this point.

I'm hoping Leggett and Lynch can come in and develop into better performers than what we have on the roster now. I think Autry will be limited to a return type player and maybe a receiver, he just is not tough enough to be an every down back and I don't see him being a blocker to any extent. To me the lack of production at this position should force Johnson to look at another form of offense if again the results this coming season do not show marked improvement.

Go Jackets!

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The A Back position has really lagged since Jeff Monken left. I think Lamar is a good man but not a very effective coach for this postion. It seems we get less out of this position than any other position on the team. It really limits the effectiveness of Johnson's offense when this position does not produce. We have a lot of players lined up to play here but none that really excel. Here is how I would rank the position top to bottom:

Deon Hill
Dennis Andrews
Synjyn Days
Charles Perkins
B. J. Bostic
Tony Zenon
Isiah Willis
Austin McClellan
Clinton Lynch
C. J. Leggett
Myles Autry

In other words 11 guys trying to get on the field. I think the reason Johnson rotates these guys so much is because none of them really bring what he is looking for to the table. I'm hoping Hill and Andrews develop into better players and bring improved production next season but at this point, I will believe it when I see it. Days is just not a running back and should have been moved to defense several years ago. Perkins has some ability but is injury prone. I think Bostic and Zenon have pretty well checked out at this point.

I'm hoping Leggett and Lynch can come in and develop into better performers than what we have on the roster now. I think Autry will be limited to a return type player and maybe a receiver, he just is not tough enough to be an every down back and I don't see him being a blocker to any extent. To me the lack of production at this position should force Johnson to look at another form of offense if again the results this coming season do not show marked improvement.

Go Jackets!

Wow, Jerry
Preach on,tell it like it is, bro..

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Deon Hill
Dennis Andrews
Synjyn Days
Charles Perkins
B. J. Bostic
Tony Zenon
Isiah Willis
Austin McClellan
Clinton Lynch
C. J. Leggett
Myles Autry

Go Jackets!

Really when Robert Godhigh was a best playmaker last year
and Orwin Smith the year before
I don't see it.
I think Leggett will end up as a Bback and Snoddy will be moved back to Aback where he belongs.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Really when Robert Godhigh was a best playmaker last year
and Orwin Smith the year before
I don't see it.
I think Leggett will end up as a Bback and Snoddy will be moved back to Aback where he belongs.
I agree with you. I respect and loved Roddy Jones but Godhigh was twice as good and effective. Orwin also was a beast of an Aback. This year somebody new will get their chance to fill that role.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Orwin and Robbie were exceptions but the sad fact is that they are out of eligibility. They were both handicapped by the lack of production from the opposite A Back position when they played.

Go Jackets!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Orwin and Robbie were exceptions but the sad fact is that they are out of eligibility. They were both handicapped by the lack of production from the opposite A Back position when they played.

Go Jackets!

I disagree with you about Orwin. He had Roddy Jones opposite him a lot and Robbie in 2012. I think Orwin benefited the most from the opposite a-back.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I'm not overly concerned with this position.
I expect the former QB's to be pretty effective at the position.
A lot of competition, options, and combo's to choose from.
Even the freshman have great potential.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I'm not overly concerned with this position.
I expect the former QB's to be pretty effective at the position.
A lot of competition, options, and combo's to choose from.
Even the freshman have great potential.

yep,
there several other positions much more worrisome