Spring League for High School players

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I want to know who would play in this league. Early enrollees are still going to be a thing, high rated guys wouldn’t want to risk injury and possible lose NIL money, guys are on baseball/track teams. Not only that, if you are a big D1 program, why on earth would you let your big recruits play?
So who does that leave? 3 stars that want to prove something? And we are going to want to watch that?

It might work a lot better if it was a spring league of college guys that are hitting the transfer portal and can be scouted

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
So you won’t be watching?
No. I barely watch high school football as is.

The reason this is a terrible idea isn't the economics or the appeal, it's the players themselves. You're essentially creating yearlong football and putting extra miles on players bodies. 7 on 7 camps were already doing this to a much lesser extent, but now you've added the contact element which is worse.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I want to know who would play in this league. Early enrollees are still going to be a thing, high rated guys wouldn’t want to risk injury and possible lose NIL money, guys are on baseball/track teams. Not only that, if you are a big D1 program, why on earth would you let your big recruits play?
So who does that leave? 3 stars that want to prove something? And we are going to want to watch that?

It might work a lot better if it was a spring league of college guys that are hitting the transfer portal and can be scouted

Sophomores and Juniors looking to improve their recruiting tape. High talent players from smaller (A, AA, etc, Classifications) programs or private schools where the main argument against them are their opponents.

If I'm a 4* or 5* in my Junior year, I'd likely skip this. If I am a 2* or low 3*, this would be appealing to me.

The real question is how you get a league together in the spring with players from all across a geographical area while said players are still, ostensibly, in school and find enough time to practice them together so that they can put a quality product on the field to showcase their talents.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Sophomores and Juniors looking to improve their recruiting tape. High talent players from smaller (A, AA, etc, Classifications) programs or private schools where the main argument against them are their opponents.

If I'm a 4* or 5* in my Junior year, I'd likely skip this. If I am a 2* or low 3*, this would be appealing to me.

The real question is how you get a league together in the spring with players from all across a geographical area while said players are still, ostensibly, in school and find enough time to practice them together so that they can put a quality product on the field to showcase their talents.

But then it comes to who is going to how do you make money on this product? I don’t see how they would get any tv viewers/money with that level of players. this also just seems like a logistical nightmare of trying to get enough players to play a schedule.

My guess is that it’s going to turn into a money grab where it’s just getting parents to pay money to get their kid “scouted” by top colleges, when they are more than likely going to be going to go the lower levels.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Have you ever seen semi-pro football games? They are pure trash. Some of the teams actually try. Some of the teams can't even really fill a team roster.

I would imagine something like this will have some professional looking teams, and some teams where the coaches are designing plays on the sidelines that the players have never practiced together.

Maybe I will be surprised, but I think it will end up being like trying to start a travel baseball league from scratch. I think they will really have to take off well in the first year or two, or it will never take off.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Have you ever seen semi-pro football games? They are pure trash. Some of the teams actually try. Some of the teams can't even really fill a team roster.

I would imagine something like this will have some professional looking teams, and some teams where the coaches are designing plays on the sidelines that the players have never practiced together.

Maybe I will be surprised, but I think it will end up being like trying to start a travel baseball league from scratch. I think they will really have to take off well in the first year or two, or it will never take off.

This. The travel baseball comparison is the best way to view it. Football doesn't really allow for travel teams to develop talent, and the 7v7 leagues aren't great for anyone but QBs, WRs, and DBs. If they can figure it out it could succeed based on kids wanting an edge, but I have real doubts on viability of this league long term.