Spring game thoughts

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with you that we need to, at some point, improve the W/L or else we risk setting ourselves back further. I just don't think 2021 is the tipping point yet. I believe the media will give CGC this last year to build and then start judging him more harshly in 2022. If we are competitive in our games, and don't look lost on the field as we have many times the last two years, then I believe even with 4-5 wins there will be a buzz about this team heading into 2022 that we are ready to make that next step into winning again.
Agree 100%. I add what has been mentioned by many but ignored by a few. Any time you play 5-6 top 20 teams , wins become elusive. I will be looking at how we win and how we lose . If we play clean and hard while closing the talent gap, that is progress.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Here is a mindbender for you... How many of those teams would be considered top 20 candidates this year, if we had managed to beat them last year?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I watched P'naudes video last week. He's got the coach speak part down real well, but we all know that is NOT what defines a good coach. For me, what has been missing on offense is consistency. Regardless of opponent last year, there seemed to be a lack of cohesion and continuity, caused by excessive penalties, inexperience of many players and play selection....in a word - disorganized. We seldom, if ever, looked like we were clicking on all cylinders. Way too many 3 and outs kept our D on the field too much. That needs to change this year.
These are all things that happen when you play a lot of true and RS freshman and sophomores. These are things that will go away as the players get more experience. It's not going to just go away this year. We still have a relatively young team. It will be better, but probably not where anyone wants it to be.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure about that... uGA, Clemson, and ND definitely... Would North Carolina and Miami still be considered tp 20 teams if they were only 7-5 and 7-4 respectively? I have my doubts...
I'm not sure I would count anything last year it was one fu** up year. Worst part I'm sure this year will be messed up giving players an extra year. But that could be something that hurts the big boys losing players after next year. But I'm sure they will find a way to pay to get the players they need.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I watched P'naudes video last week. He's got the coach speak part down real well, but we all know that is NOT what defines a good coach. For me, what has been missing on offense is consistency. Regardless of opponent last year, there seemed to be a lack of cohesion and continuity, caused by excessive penalties, inexperience of many players and play selection....in a word - disorganized. We seldom, if ever, looked like we were clicking on all cylinders. Way too many 3 and outs kept our D on the field too much. That needs to change this year.
- We had a true freshman at RT, a guy who's now left the team who had played in an option offense since high school at LT, and a former all-conf C injured and his replacement struggled with snaps all year, throwing off the QB on multiple plays.
- Put a true freshman QB behind those OL issues, and that has to have something to do with the appearance that cohesion, continuity and organization were lacking.
- Just as P'naude found a go to guy, and the offense started being more productive, Gibbs pulls his hammy.
- The offense progressed adequately last year, considering the inexperience and injuries. It was the defense that laid an egg and went backwards.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm not so sure about that... uGA, Clemson, and ND definitely... Would North Carolina and Miami still be considered tp 20 teams if they were only 7-5 and 7-4 respectively? I have my doubts...

Yes. UNC and Miami are both stocked with multiple top 20 recruiting classes. UNC has one of the top QBs in the nation returning. Both would be top-25 even with a loss to us.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yes. UNC and Miami are both stocked with multiple top 20 recruiting classes. UNC has one of the top QBs in the nation returning. Both would be top-25 even with a loss to us.
I just find it hard to think last year really meant anything with the way teams scheduled games and some not playing a full schedule. Not knowing to the last minute if you would play or which players would play.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you that we need to, at some point, improve the W/L or else we risk setting ourselves back further. I just don't think 2021 is the tipping point yet. I believe the media will give CGC this last year to build and then start judging him more harshly in 2022. If we are competitive in our games, and don't look lost on the field as we have many times the last two years, then I believe even with 4-5 wins there will be a buzz about this team heading into 2022 that we are ready to make that next step into winning again.
I sincerely hope YOU are right about this year. I just disagree about this year also being a pass because CGC has "that transition". A winning record in 2022 ? With the transfer situation being what it is now, I am not sure it should take that long.....assuming you are getting better transfers than you are losing- which I believe we have done.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Every year there is a lot in CFB that goes nowhere close to script. And every year there is a lot that does. I agree that this season presents a larger degree of uncertainty. Last year might be more helpful in terms of looking at the individual talent level of certain players. I watched some of the highlights of the Ole Miss spring game because, hey it's Kiffin it should be better than watching paint dry right? Well, don't get your hopes up if you elect to do the same. Anyway, he was interviewed and commented how new staffs in particular struggled defensively last year having to install with less practice and having to keep players isolated from each other. Maybe that was mostly excuse, but hearing it from his mouth gave me some hope that our defense will be in much better sorts this year especially considering the coaches have identified this lack of coordination in the secondary as a major problem last year and taken steps to do otherwise in 2021.

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree. It's yet another reason why least season has no bearing on this seasons top 25.
I agree too. but it doesn't mean coaches have an excuse to lose.. Regardless if it did not mean (the Year) something, at least look good at something or look like a strong team!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, Miami being Miami, is always going to have hype, talent, and all manner of hoopla until someone, sometimes Tech, sometimes someone else, slaps them upside the head and down to earth they go. With both teams it is all about the quarterbacks, Howell will have to pretty much carry UNC along with their latest gift from Tennessee. With Miami it is all about their quarterback who was injured in the bowl game because they don't have anyone else that can fill his shoes.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Every year there is a lot in CFB that goes nowhere close to script. And every year there is a lot that does. I agree that this season presents a larger degree of uncertainty. Last year might be more helpful in terms of looking at the individual talent level of certain players. I watched some of the highlights of the Ole Miss spring game because, hey it's Kiffin it should be better than watching paint dry right? Well, don't get your hopes up if you elect to do the same. Anyway, he was interviewed and commented how new staffs in particular struggled defensively last year having to install with less practice and having to keep players isolated from each other. Maybe that was mostly excuse, but hearing it from his mouth gave me some hope that our defense will be in much better sorts this year especially considering the coaches have identified this lack of coordination in the secondary as a major problem last year and taken steps to do otherwise in 2021.
I watched Ole Miss play Florida and both teams but especially Mississippi played as though defense was optional. The Gators won and scored 51 points which ended up being about the fourth or fifth time someone laid a half century worth of points on the Rebels. Maybe COVID did have something to do with it but I think they were just a sorry defense. Hell, Kentucky scored 41 on them and nearly beat them. Alabama scored 63 on them. In all fairness, it should be noted they beat Indiana in that bowl game with a respectable 20 points scored against them. The way defenses are playing today, you have to score at least 30 it seems like to even be in the game. All the rules are stacked in favor of the offenses and with receivers getting bigger and faster every year its a wonder defensive backs don't commit suicide out of frustration.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not hating definitely one of the smartest players if not the smartest on that defense, but just didn't have that speed. I think there will be some more mistakes or errors without him out there.
How do you reconcile your statement with the fact the he was signed by the Broncos as a free agent? Either you are right or the scouts for the Broncos are right. It can't be both. I, for one, am of the opinion that the league would have passed on him, even at the UDFA level, if his speed was an issue.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
How do you reconcile your statement with the fact the he was signed by the Broncos as a free agent? Either you are right or the scouts for the Broncos are right. It can't be both. I, for one, am of the opinion that the league would have passed on him, even at the UDFA level, if his speed was an issue.
Just because Curry was signed as an undrafted free agent does not mean he was not lacking in speed. Plenty of guys sign as UDFA but are lacking a certain aspect of their games. They need to be strong enough in other areas to make up for that if they want to make an NFL roster.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, if speed wasn’t an issue he would have been our best defender and drafted in the top 3 rounds. I hope he can stick but question his speed for the much needed special team assignments required by late round and free agent guys. I would love to be proven wrong about a great kid though.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Actually, if speed wasn’t an issue he would have been our best defender and drafted in the top 3 rounds. I hope he can stick but question his speed for the much needed special team assignments required by late round and free agent guys. I would love to be proven wrong about a great kid though.

He was our best defender.