Spring game thoughts

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think anyone is arguing we shouldn’t have full tackle practice.

Neither is the staff shying away from full contact periods in the spring, the Saturday practices showed that we have full contact periods.

we just didn’t have it at this year’s spring game, that’s all.

let’s please stop talking about it

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
As has been said numerous times we did hit and tackle throughout the spring and during the open scrimmages. Friday was about showcasing players and creating an
atmosphere for fans, players and recruits. And guess what? From feedback from recruits if worked. They enjoyed it.
Enjoyed it so much none of them committed.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
As has been said numerous times we did hit and tackle throughout the spring and during the open scrimmages. Friday was about showcasing players and creating an
atmosphere for fans, players and recruits. And guess what? From feedback from recruits if worked. They enjoyed it.
Hopefully they did, but would the recruits have enjoyed it even more had it looked more like a real football game?

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Hopefully they did, but would the recruits have enjoyed it even more had it looked more like a real football game?
I really don't think they care. No recruit is not going to come to GT because we did not tackle in the spring game. It would be one thing if we did not tackle the entire spring. However we did tackle. Different coaches do different things with the spring game. There is no right or wrong answer. The same people complaining about the lack of tackling at the spring game are the same ones who would be complaining if a starter got hurt. I think some people just want something to complain about no matter what.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wish they would have played tackle football because I wanted to see real football. It was great to see what I did, but I would have preferred to see if JG would have split the defenders and stayed on his feet. I would have preferred to see BJS bruising through the line to the second level. I would have preferred to see Lockhart and some of the other DE's wrap up the QB (not crush them) on some of those sacks that weren't called. It would have just been a more enjoyable game to watch.

I realize what it is, but I wanted to see football. I'm not disappointed nor upset that they played thumpball, but it wasn't my preference.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wish they would have played tackle football because I wanted to see real football. It was great to see what I did, but I would have preferred to see if JG would have split the defenders and stayed on his feet. I would have preferred to see BJS bruising through the line to the second level. I would have preferred to see Lockhart and some of the other DE's wrap up the QB (not crush them) on some of those sacks that weren't called. It would have just been a more enjoyable game to watch.

I realize what it is, but I wanted to see football. I'm not disappointed nor upset that they played thumpball, but it wasn't my preference.
Yes, some interpolating required to "see" the results, but the lines played some football.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think they care. No recruit is not going to come to GT because we did not tackle in the spring game. It would be one thing if we did not tackle the entire spring. However we did tackle. Different coaches do different things with the spring game. There is no right or wrong answer. The same people complaining about the lack of tackling at the spring game are the same ones who would be complaining if a starter got hurt. I think some people just want something to complain about no matter what.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it is going to make their decision for them but they are going to go to several spring games. We are the only program they are going to see that basically played a two hand touch football game. For many fans that was pretty underwhelming, so it can't be a great thing that recruits will compare this to the other games they go to. If we are willing to tackle in practice, im not sure why we are afraid to tackle in the spring game when the fans and more than likely recruits would prefer to see that. Is risk of injury higher in the spring game than a practice scrimmage for some reason?

LibertyTurns

Banned
I know winning the Spring Game is not the equivalent of the mutts winning the pre-season National Championship, but it‘s better than starting the year on a losing streak, right?

I sure hope we start winning soon because the beginning of each season keeps getting farther and farther away.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't go so far as to say it is going to make their decision for them but they are going to go to several spring games. We are the only program they are going to see that basically played a two hand touch football game. For many fans that was pretty underwhelming, so it can't be a great thing that recruits will compare this to the other games they go to. If we are willing to tackle in practice, im not sure why we are afraid to tackle in the spring game when the fans and more than likely recruits would prefer to see that. Is risk of injury higher in the spring game than a practice scrimmage for some reason?
Pure speculation no matter which side you fall on the question.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you think high school kids are swayed away from GT by the fact that they didn't tackle to the ground on their visit to a spring game, you don't really know high school kids.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If you think high school kids are swayed away from GT by the fact that they didn't tackle to the ground on their visit to a spring game, you don't really know high school kids.
This. I would think the recruits are more interested in seeing how the coaches interact with the players, how the current players acted around each other, were the players having a good time while still learning, and how the fans in the stadium acted. So as long as our coaches gave them an interactive view into what it is like to be a football player at Georgia Tech, that's what they'll remember, not if we tackled or not.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
While I readily admit that I don't hang out with high school kids all that often, the first line in my post says that I don't think it would ultimately make their decision. You guys need to quit getting so defensive when someone questions whether we should be doing something when we are the only major program doing it.