Spring game thoughts

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Really strange game to watch. It really did feel like watching practice and the lack of intensity, particularly on the defensive side makes it a little boring. That said, some thoughts. Boyd looks good. We need someone to step up at receiver to replace Camp and he looks like he could be the guy. Sims looks pretty much the same as last year. His positives are still there. I guess we won't really know much about his progress until he plays in a real game. Yates and Peery looked like more than serviceable backups. Feeling good about QB overall. BJS looked good for a guy who will probably never play. I won't bash the defense too much because they weren't allowed to play at full speed, but lets just say I hope they are better than what was shown.
If I were a coach at a school that ran the flexbone, I would be doing everything I could to get BJS to transfer. He would be a monster at B back.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
The athleticism on this team has definitely been upgraded. I was impressed with the speed of Eley and our young linebackers. Tatum, Franks, and Wright are a nice group. Carpenter is looking more like the player we expected last year. He looks a little leaner and much quicker. Harris is going to be a problem at DE. He is very quick off the edge. We should have a nice rotation at DE. I think Avery Boyd will have a breakout year. He has a good combination of size and speed. It would not surprise me if he and McGowan become our big play threats from the receiver position. Man, just thinking about the possibilities with Gibbs, McGowan, Boyd, Blackburn, etc. We have the potential for an explosive offense. I was actually impressed with what I saw from BJS. You can tell he is a physical runner. It is easy to see why some schools wanted him as a running back. That room is crazy talented. If we can get our other units anywhere close to that room we will be in great shape.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I was glad we had a Spring game. I think we have made some progress over last year but not sure how much. Man that constant music? was annoying as hell. I guess that is to keep the juice flowing but playing it non stop through the plays for the whole game was like being in some club. and not a football game. I could have used some hard liquor. I think not tackling makes it a wasted opportunity to actually get better. We need to get a lot tougher and you can't do that playing 2 hand touch. Hopefully the coaches will turn them loose in fall camp.

Go Jackets!

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Even though Kyle Kennard is on the leaner side I think he is going to be deadly on the edge. He showed good bursts of speed around the tackles, albeit the 2nd/3rd teams. Like the combo of edge rushers we got in Harris, AC, Ivey, Kennard

White hasn’t even touched campus and Jordan says hi.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I would like to note, I was one of the 200-300ish fans at the 2014 spring game. We looked like ****ing garbage and ran load/zone option 10000 times in a row. Everyone can relax.
I was one of the poor saps who went to the (I think) 2015 spring game. I have never been so cold and wet in my whole life. None of us in the stands were watching the game with any attention; we were all trying to get far enough under the overhangs in the East stands to keep out of the rain and wind. (Fat chance, btw.)

After that experience, I pretty much swore off spring games. I'm glad I didn't miss much. Again.

Deleted member 2897

‘Ol Mack Brown up in North Cawrolina has his guys playing real tackle football in their spring game today. Only the QBs are off limits to tackling.

I like the football culture up there in Chapel Hill.

Just my opinion, which everyone here is entitled to, guys.

Quoting the original architect of the Fake University classes as someone to imitate. Bold move.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Looking at other spring games, it strikes me that our DL is comparatively more active with their hands. I know we're being taught this. That could be very good, although I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. It seems to me that if you're too focused on hand play, you could fail to get the right leverage and be easily directed out of the play. That probably relates to the emphasis on eye discipline. Need to see where to put your body for the violent hands to pay off.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I was glad we had a Spring game. I think we have made some progress over last year but not sure how much. Man that constant music? was annoying as hell. I guess that is to keep the juice flowing but playing it non stop through the plays for the whole game was like being in some club. and not a football game. I could have used some hard liquor. I think not tackling makes it a wasted opportunity to actually get better. We need to get a lot tougher and you can't do that playing 2 hand touch. Hopefully the coaches will turn them loose in fall camp.

Go Jackets!
The spring game has nothing to do with getting better. That’s what practice and scrimmages are for. No team in the country used their spring game to improve anything, it’s a showcase.