Spring Game Slo-mo

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, I didn't mention him because I was running out of time, I had to be somewhere. The truth is I think the kid is working hard, but at this point I don't think he will be the answer for 2014. Chaz Cheeks had a tough go of it too. Some people have given positive feedback about Jabari, but I am not yet convinced with him either.

Chamberlain actually had some positive moments at LT. I have been really hard on him in the past. However, there were still some let downs and a general lack of consistency. He continues to concern me with lateral quickness and staying in a position of leverage in pass protection. For me it remains a major concern.

boomer these are a bit mixed. Jabari didn't line up in SDE did he, I only saw him at WDE? and Chamberlain I only saw at RT (or did I miss it)?

Our SDE question is bigger than a question. We may need to consider sliding over a 3tech.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
boomer these are a bit mixed. Jabari didn't line up in SDE did he, I only saw him at WDE? and Chamberlain I only saw at RT (or did I miss it)?

Our SDE question is bigger than a question. We may need to consider sliding over a 3tech.
Sorry, I meant RT for BC. Jabari was just a general DE comment. To be truthful, I am not sure what strong side or weak side is against our offense.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I meant RT for BC. Jabari was just a general DE comment. To be truthful, I am not sure what strong side or weak side is against our offense.

Typically vs a balanced o like ours sde would be the face side of the qb drop.....since we r so formation balanced this is how the d will line up. Remember too some calls are also not always vs our o. So u have to go on formation guess or simulation. If you notice stargel was always face side and jabari backside

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Typically vs a balanced o like ours sde would be the face side of the qb drop.....since we r so formation balanced this is how the d will line up. Remember too some calls are also not always vs our o. So u have to go on formation guess or simulation. If you notice stargel was always face side and jabari backside
thanks

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
But our guys drop then pivot.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, I am going to sound ignorant here, but I have been thinking about SDE vs WDE. I guess we usually line up with our DTs one at nose and one at 3 tech, right? If so, I guess we would call the SDE the guy next to the nose where the "rush" DE would be set wider outside the 3 tech. I am going to go back and see exactly how we lined up against the flex in the scrimmage. I didn't pay that much attention, I just watched the personnel match ups and kind of scouted individuals. Anybody want to chime in?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
OK, I am going to sound ignorant here, but I have been thinking about SDE vs WDE. I guess we usually line up with our DTs one at nose and one at 3 tech, right? If so, I guess we would call the SDE the guy next to the nose where the "rush" DE would be set wider outside the 3 tech. I am going to go back and see exactly how we lined up against the flex in the scrimmage. I didn't pay that much attention, I just watched the personnel match ups and kind of scouted individuals. Anybody want to chime in?
You are correct, SDE on the NT side.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
For a balanced formation I would call the weak side the guy that lines up on the QB "blind side". For the right handed QB would be the guy on the left tackle. The D line would stagger their positions as @Boomergump indicated, but this will flip if you have a left handed QB. If a TE or unbalanced line is used the DL alignment would shift again with the SDE on the TE side.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
For a balanced formation I would call the weak side the guy that lines up on the QB "blind side". For the right handed QB would be the guy on the left tackle. The D line would stagger their positions as @Boomergump indicated, but this will flip if you have a left handed QB. If a TE or unbalanced line is used the DL alignment would shift again with the SDE on the TE side.

NT and SDE could also line up to the wide side of the field, the side their best running back would run (for ex opposite side where a Godhigh would line up at AB), or a "tendency" to run in certain situations. This where an experienced DC like Roof with LB playing experience can make a difference.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
One more general comment. Back in my day there were not a lot of hurry up offenses. Today the D line must be able to play as a unit and communicate much more effectively. I would presume today your ends would almost need to be able to play both rolls reasonably well because there is not a lot of time to get lined up and you would want to limit the amount of running around that your D line does pre-snap.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wanted to give an update on WDE after a slow mo check.

Hunt Days had several "arms" on Byerly as Byerly pushed by him. He was not very effective in rushing the passer in passing plays. Hunt Days is going to need more time.

Hunt Days does drop back serval times for good pass coverage.

Keshun showed a lot of energy in this position and should push Hunt Days.

Last edited:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Hunt Days had several "arms" on Byerly as Byerly pushed by him. He was not very effective in rushing the passer in passing plays. Hunt Days is going to need more time.

Note that in the first clip the BB has no one to block (not his fault) and he is in perfect position to receive a safety valve pass for good yardage in the short middle if the QB is in trouble. However, he is not looking. This was a similar situation as in the Miami game with Perkins when he was not looking for a dump pass and JT subquently got clobbered. There seems to be an opportunity in the passing game we are not exploiting, especially since our pass protection is weak and a safety valve receiver is often needed.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

The Juco kid is coming in the fall, too.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Boomer remember we dont play 0tech. So no true nt. we play a 1 and 3tech. The sde can still be next to the 3tech if the wde pinches into the 5tech and the olb walks down. Its not as straight fwd as saying the sde always lines up next to the 1tech.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer remember we dont play 0tech. So no true nt. we play a 1 and 3tech. The sde can still be next to the 3tech if the wde pinches into the 5tech and the olb walks down. Its not as straight fwd as saying the sde always lines up next to the 1tech.
Yup thanks. Yeah, when I said nose I didn't mean 0 tech, although that is what it implies. I just didn't remember where our DEs were lining up the other night given our balanced formation. That is what I get for not watching closely!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Let me see if I get this: 0, 2 and 4 are directly over the center, guards and tackles, respectively, and 1 is in the a gap and 3 is the b gap?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Let me see if I get this: 0, 2 and 4 are directly over the center, guards and tackles, respectively, and 1 is in the a gap and 3 is the b gap?

Here is a link that explains it. Bear Bryant is mostly credited with coming up with the numbering scheme, but he was a raging alcoholic so he kinda skipped some numbers. It depends on the coach how they teach it, but most use his numbering system.

http://football.about.com/od/intermediateinstruction/a/Defensive-Gap-Control.htm