Spread Option Offense Part 2 - An Option QB

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
This is a follow up to my first thread. I want to take a more detailed look at the QB position, and a more technical look at what he does as the play progresses, and his keys. I thought this write up was the best technical write up I have ever seen regarding an option QB. In light of the Vad Lee situation, and the discussion regarding Justin's size, I thought it was a fitting time to post this.

Attachments

• option qb1.pdf
    321.7 KB · Views: 129

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
My concern with JT is his size, if he can take the physical pounding of the position and how CPJ wants to play his QB.

I think he can and has the desire to do everything the position requires.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If the option part of the offense is run correctly he should only get hit on QB keeps. Although not outlined in the article above, there is a strategy to take hits without being injured, or sliding. My main concern is pass protection with JT taking a blundside hit like he did in the Miami game.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
According to the pitch process from CPJ above, he should not get hit on the pitch. If you look at the progression of Tevin he did not get hit a lot on the pitch. When he did, the defense often got called for a penalty. The way CPJ coaches the pitch read is unique from other ways I have seen it coached. If done the way he coaches it the QB will not take a "beating" that is associated with our offense. If done incorrectly the QB will get nailed. If you think about Vad in comparison to the qualities outlined above, you can see the frustratin by Vad and CPJ.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. His last point is "don't get hit". I'm looking forward to JTs progression in our offense. I think he can be special.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
I love the idea of JT running the option, but I'm wondering how much midline we'll run with him at QB. I wonder if PJ would consider using a different, more powerful QB for short yardage or goal line situations?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I love the idea of JT running the option, but I'm wondering how much midline we'll run with him at QB. I wonder if PJ would consider using a different, more powerful QB for short yardage or goal line situations?
If we end up going with JT I think there will be a >50% chance it will be a dual QB system with a different guy in there on goal line or 4th and 1 type situations. Either that, or we change our approach at the goal line from what we have done the last 6 year, more roll outs getting the QB in space etc.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I personally think we will see Tim under center with JT at AB in short yardage this year. Tim and JT fit the CPJ mold for a QB. We are really lucky to have them both, TB does not get enough credit for his play last year.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
When's the last time we had a QB that missed a game because of an injury that came as a result of a hit because of our scheme? Never?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
It is a method by which a QB can figure out pre-snap who has pitch responsibility. Assuming a hard defender means that someone will be flowing down to take the pitch man after the snap. This assumption prevents the QB from pitching based blindly on the pre-snap read.

upload_2014-1-12_14-46-49.png

Last edited:

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The hurry up would work well, as long as the QB could make the pre-snap read quickly. Tevin could do it as well as anyone I have seen at the end of his career. Unfortunately, the D was a dumpster fire under Groh.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I personally think we will see Tim under center with JT at AB in short yardage this year. Tim and JT fit the CPJ mold for a QB. We are really lucky to have them both, TB does not get enough credit for his play last year.
Nope.
First, you don't put one of your top 2 QB's into a situation where he might get hurt blocking.
Second, while Tim is the most experienced option QB we have now, he's also the least athletic. The coaching staff views him as "serviceable but not athletic enough to compete with the big boys". Not my words.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Problem = people have been saying this about Byerley for his entire career. And they're right; he isn't as athletic as many option QBs.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start. As I've said on other forums, I saw him play a couple of times in high school. Both times, my impression was "meh"; what's so special here? Then you look at the game stats. I only remember the second. TB had 106 yards rushing with no long runs. He had 122 yards passing. He scored three times. Iow, he ate the other side up and I never would have noticed unless I checked the stats. He's like that.

Personally, I hope JT wins out. Speed kills in our O and he's got a gracious plenty of that + game experience. However, I don't think we would not lose much with Byerley back there instead.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Any chance that JT can put on some meaningful weight? Godhigh was a small dude, but he was built like a tank and certainly not fragile. I am not suggesting JT get that big, but he probably could use to have some additional meat on his bones.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Nope.
First, you don't put one of your top 2 QB's into a situation where he might get hurt blocking.
Second, while Tim is the most experienced option QB we have now, he's also the least athletic. The coaching staff views him as "serviceable but not athletic enough to compete with the big boys". Not my words.
We saw Synjyn under center with Justin at A back in the Clemson game but I doubt they expect Justin to block in that situation. That play "works" because the defense doesn't see 2 qb's on the field. I didn't notice the switch until after Synjyn scored. Of course now I know what to look for. Anticipating it is one thing, stopping it is another.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Justin Thomas has the quickness/speed/acceleration/ etc... To make busted or poorly executed plays produce positive yardage even when they shouldn't. He is a game changer imo. A player that can make everyone around him look good.
If we end up going with JT I think there will be a >50% chance it will be a dual QB system with a different guy in there on goal line or 4th and 1 type situations. Either that, or we change our approach at the goal line from what we have done the last 6 year, more roll outs getting the QB in space etc.

You know... Initially I agree that a bigger more powerful runner is better in short yardage situations especially in our scheme. But I am wondering if JT presents an advantage in short yardage? He is smaller and this could allow him to squirt through holes quicker and easier before defenders can react quick enough... Just a thought.

I do worry about whether or not he can take the pounding he is going to take in this offense though.