Spread formation option football

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Since Fritz may be our next head coach - and I'm fine with that - I thought a look at a game highlighting what we can expect might be useful. See:

This is the Tulane - Cinncy game last weekend. This clip is a lot of fun to watch; both offenses use spread formation option schemes. Basically the same plays Paul used to run at Hawaii, but in a different formation. Btw, it take the Cinncy QB all day to wind up, but he's quite accurate.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Pyron is going to look GOOD running that offense...
If he stays and doesn’t follow Key to his next stop if he gets a HC position somewhere. However it’s easy to posture, from a players perspective, but when it really comes down to giving up a degree from a school like GT to gamble that to start all over with a new school with so many unknowns (especially coming off an injury and rehab situation). Pyron may be far better off to say stay in touch but I have to do what’s best for my future beyond football.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If he stays and doesn’t follow Key to his next stop if he gets a HC position somewhere. However it’s easy to posture, from a players perspective, but when it really comes down to giving up a degree from a school like GT to gamble that to start all over with a new school with so many unknowns (especially coming off an injury and rehab situation). Pyron may be far better off to say stay in touch but I have to do what’s best for my future beyond football.
Yes, and I expect that this will be the way many of the players - most, actually - see it. We'll see.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I watched this last night.

This type of offense to me looks like the offense that every other team runs now. Zone read *coughoptioncough* offense popularized by Chip Kelly at Oregon over a decade ago.

I really don't care what offense we run but would like a head coach or offensive coordinator that can read and react to the defense instead of calling plays by seemingly throwing darts at a 500 page worth plays. The latter is how I used to play football (... with a 🎮).

That and he's gotta be a good teacher and bring in assistants that can teach.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Since Fritz may be our next head coach - and I'm fine with that - I thought a look at a game highlighting what we can expect might be useful. See:

This is the Tulane - Cinncy game last weekend. This clip is a lot of fun to watch; both offenses use spread formation option schemes. Basically the same plays Paul used to run at Hawaii, but in a different formation. Btw, it take the Cinncy QB all day to wind up, but he's quite accurate.

22 for Tulane is a baller.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I watched this last night.

This type of offense to me looks like the offense that every other team runs now. Zone read *coughoptioncough* offense popularized by Chip Kelly at Oregon over a decade ago.

I really don't care what offense we run but would like a head coach or offensive coordinator that can read and react to the defense instead of calling plays by seemingly throwing darts at a 500 page worth plays. The latter is how I used to play football (... with a 🎮).

That and he's gotta be a good teacher and bring in assistants that can teach.
I don't know about that. There are a good number of what look like planned dives, belly series plays, and satellite sweeps (the WR acts like an AB) that I don't remember seeing in Kelly's O. But … that was awhile ago and all these Os share so much in common that it's pretty much a tweak here and a pinch there. I heartily agree with everything else you say.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t really see a lot of difference between what Tulane is doing and what we already do right now. Zone read, inverted zone read. There’s some different gadget plays. It looks like what virtually everyone is running.

What will be fun to me is when someone realizes that with all the lightweight mobile defense out there combating the RPO stuff, a big heavy i formation offense with a legit blocking fullback would be devastating. It all goes in cycles.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don’t really see a lot of difference between what Tulane is doing and what we already do right now. Zone read, inverted zone read. There’s some different gadget plays. It looks like what virtually everyone is running.

What will be fun to me is when someone realizes that with all the lightweight mobile defense out there combating the RPO stuff, a big heavy i formation offense with a legit blocking fullback would be devastating. It all goes in cycles.

That's what I LOVE about Chadwell's offense, and what Fritz did during his time at GA Southern.

IF Fritz does end up here, I really hope he combines some of what he did at GA Southern with what he's doing now.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, so much for that.

I still hope we end up looking more like these teams on O. My one fear about Key is that he may point us to a Wisconsin style power game then a flexible option game like Kansas State. We can get the personnel for the second; don't know about the first.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, so much for that.

I still hope we end up looking more like these teams on O. My one fear about Key is that he may point us to a Wisconsin style power game then a flexible option game like Kansas State. We can get the personnel for the second; don't know about the first.

Looks like Key is a fan of the Air Raid type spread if rumors of his interest in Texas Tech OC Zach Kittley (last year before Long), and now GA Southern's Bryan Ellis is any clue.