SportSourceAnalytics (@SportSourceA)

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Thats great stuff. How many times do we hear the announcers slam our offense about 3rd and long? Surprised that stat has never been brought up on air.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
They can't bring it up, they'd have to find a new narrative and that might require they work a little. ;) And lord knows, the vast majority of TV folks are allergic to work!
They are great numbers. The reason TV analysts don't use them is for the same reasons discussed in another thread last week. They aren't very good at what they do because TV is scrambling for analysts as the networks constantly expand game coverage -- ESPN has added yet another conference this week -- and yes, except for Kirk Herbstreit and maybe a couple of others, none of whom appear on Game Day or the studio shows, those being reserved for the "On Air Talent" meaning pretty faces or reputations, and their case for preparation the week before is talking to the head ball coaches, getting a couple of anecdotes and whatever stats he pushes at them, and look for the red light to come on. This to me would be the must, go-to site for announcers and analysts before a game. Really good get.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
They are great numbers. The reason TV analysts don't use them is for the same reasons discussed in another thread last week. They aren't very good at what they do because TV is scrambling for analysts as the networks constantly expand game coverage -- ESPN has added yet another conference this week -- and yes, except for Kirk Herbstreit and maybe a couple of others, none of whom appear on Game Day or the studio shows, those being reserved for the "On Air Talent" meaning pretty faces or reputations, and their case for preparation the week before is talking to the head ball coaches, getting a couple of anecdotes and whatever stats he pushes at them, and look for the red light to come on. This to me would be the must, go-to site for announcers and analysts before a game. Really good get.

I think that what I said, in a shorter version :D But yes, you're exactly right. There is a severe dearth of true talent in collegiate football broadcasting.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
#16 in 3rd and 10+ since 2008? But, but, but that includes 2+ years of TW as QB.

As far as I can tell none of the data has been normalized to only include data from games against the fan/media-selected "Big 4" so it's all really a poor indicator of how we've been doing.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow

Most GT games are not in prime time slots with the A crew announcers. I'd venture to say, without taking time to look it up, most of our games are on Raycom, a Fox Sports channel. Correct me if I'm wrong. My memory tells me those guys say the same stuff. Surely they have time to do a little research than be so blatantly wrong about something rather than vomiting incorrect info as fact.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Most GT games are not in prime time slots with the A crew announcers. I'd venture to say, without taking time to look it up, most of our games are on Raycom, a Fox Sports channel. Correct me if I'm wrong. My memory tells me those guys say the same stuff. Surely they have time to do a little research than be so blatantly wrong about something rather than vomiting incorrect info as fact.
My only contribution to the TV rights would be anecdotal, too. I think in the past it has been heavy Raycom because of a contract with the ACC. This year, I think, it is more ESPN. As an aside, I watched a bit of the OB again tonight for some reason and got upset all over again when the announcers talked their way through that 32-yard burst by Thomas that shocked everybody in the stadium. Except the guys paid to analyze it, and Palmer I think it was noted a missed tackle. That was about it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Programs don't put out "media guides" for nothing. In that way, the schools kind of control the narrative to a degree. If you've never read one, check one out. They contain way more than stats, they're jock full of obscure facts and anecdotes about the school, coaches and players. I bet the majority of what tv "analysts" call "research" is simply reading the media guides.

I also suspect that during live broadcasts, there is some egghead intern behind the scenes whispering in their ears through the headset.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Programs don't put out "media guides" for nothing. In that way, the schools kind of control the narrative to a degree. If you've never read one, check one out. They contain way more than stats, they're jock full of obscure facts and anecdotes about the school, coaches and players. I bet the majority of what tv "analysts" call "research" is simply reading the media guides.

I also suspect that during live broadcasts, there is some egghead intern behind the scenes whispering in their ears through the headset.
You are right on both counts. The producer is actually the news brain whispering sweet nuthings to the "talent", and it's a good observation on the media guide. Now I'll never get that image out of my head, the analyst looking for something while air time flies.