Sports Talk Radio

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Has anyone listened to the Hometeam and (Joe) Hamilton radio show on the Sports X? This is the time of year I have to turn off the 680 station (I am in the car a lot for my job) due to the bulldog bias and lovefest. Never understood why they can't include more Tech talk (they are the official flagship station for Tech football and basketball). I understand that uga has way more fans, etc. but our true local Atlanta team does play in a top level conference and has won some big games and played in BCS bowls and conference championships in recent years but gets next to zero coverage - I bet the show hosts could not name 3 starters on this year's team nor did they watch more than one Tech game last year! Guess I just turned this into a rant but "Oh Well - Go Jackets!"

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have, when I've caught it it has been Big Baller 3, Falcons, Braves, I actually haven't heard any cfb. I'm sure they discuss it, but I only get 1 or 2 segnents a morning on my drive since they don't come on until 9

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
What channel is Sports X on

106.3 on the fm dial, and I believe 1230 am, but I'd have to double check the am dial.

You best get it preset, since I believe that is the station we'll get shunted to if the braves confilict with us (looks like that might be the case for Louisville at least)

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The sport talk radio stations cater to the dwag fan base. Part of this is adopting the dwag attitude toward Tech which is to ignore and pretend we dont exist until there is the opportunity to ridicule.

Success on the field helps, but for Tech it only kicks in when we win 10 plus games. Plus it isn't sustained. Despite the record the previous year, it resets to the same ignore/ridicule dynamic the next year.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
The sport talk radio stations cater to the dwag fan base. Part of this is adopting the dwag attitude toward Tech which is to ignore and pretend we dont exist until there is the opportunity to ridicule.

Success on the field helps, but for Tech it only kicks in when we win 10 plus games. Plus it isn't sustained. Despite the record the previous year, it resets to the same ignore/ridicule dynamic the next year.

I feel the same way. Tech could win the National Championship this year and next year it would be swept under the rug. They treat the Hawks the same and fail to talk much about the Atlanta United who regularly brings in big crowds and has a great chance to win the MLS championship.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
They actually talk a good bit about Atlanta United.

It would serve all of the local sports talk clowns right if Tech did make the playoffs and the only way they could see it is if they watched from home or had to purchase a ticket. No press credentials for local media that jerk us around. That includes Atlanta TV stations as well.

They already trash us now. It could not be any worse than it already is.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I listen, and yes they talk about GT significantly more. Joe also gets a lot more technical when it comes to football.

I listened today and you are correct- they also had Demetra in at 10:30 and he will be on every Wednesday at that time giving a lot of good insight. Joe Ham also has a lot of knowledge about Falcons and uga - don’t understand how some of the 680 hosts can’t be a little more knowledgeable about the Jackets.

I listened today and you are correct- they also had Demetra in at 10:30 and he will be on every Wednesday at that time giving a lot of good insight. Joe Ham also has a lot of knowledge about Falcons and uga - don’t understand how some of the 680 hosts can’t be a little more knowledgeable about the Jackets.
They don't want to be, or they are and don't want to use that knowledge.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
They actually led off this a.m. college football segment with Sandra Golden talking about Tech. She said that they don't give Tech alot of love because the fan base is so small compared to ugag's but did cover PJ's press conference.He talked about how Tech has not been able to recruit well because they had sub-standard facilities , uniforms yada,yada,yada. But, Stansbury had made improvements, new locker rooms, uniforms, and to use his favorite word "hoped" this would help recruiting. He didn't address the"gorilla in the room", which is his demeanor, attitude toward fans, and his offense. But, what do I know, maybe it will all come together in the next few years.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
They actually led off this a.m. college football segment with Sandra Golden talking about Tech. She said that they don't give Tech alot of love because the fan base is so small compared to ugag's but did cover PJ's press conference.He talked about how Tech has not been able to recruit well because they had sub-standard facilities , uniforms yada,yada,yada. But, Stansbury had made improvements, new locker rooms, uniforms, and to use his favorite word "hoped" this would help recruiting. He didn't address the"gorilla in the room", which is his demeanor, attitude toward fans, and his offense. But, what do I know, maybe it will all come together in the next few years.

That "gorilla" in the room ... isn't very big.
The facilities were a huge issue. Huge. The couches and seats in the lobby were torn and holes in them and looked like holy hell, from what I heard. So our recruits were seeing crap like that.
Recruits could not not care less about how a coach treats or interacts with the fans (and as someone who knows PJ pretty well, he just doesn't suffer fools gladly. But he has a tremendous sense of humor.) Nearly all of the guys I know who played for PJ at Southern love him.
In fact, he only interacts with recruits once or twice, as any head coach does, during the home visit and maybe a school visit. The rest is up to that prospect's individual recruiter. Rodney Garner and now Dell McGee are the keys to Georgia's good recruiting, not Kirby. Saban has his own guys filling that role, too. He's not calling or texting or DM'ing recruits all the time. That prospect's individual recruiter is doing that.
Maybe the offense is a hindrance. But I look at the guys we've got on offense and I'm OK with them.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
That "gorilla" in the room ... isn't very big.
The facilities were a huge issue. Huge. The couches and seats in the lobby were torn and holes in them and looked like holy hell, from what I heard. So our recruits were seeing crap like that.
Recruits could not not care less about how a coach treats or interacts with the fans (and as someone who knows PJ pretty well, he just doesn't suffer fools gladly. But he has a tremendous sense of humor.) Nearly all of the guys I know who played for PJ at Southern love him.
In fact, he only interacts with recruits once or twice, as any head coach does, during the home visit and maybe a school visit. The rest is up to that prospect's individual recruiter. Rodney Garner and now Dell McGee are the keys to Georgia's good recruiting, not Kirby. Saban has his own guys filling that role, too. He's not calling or texting or DM'ing recruits all the time. That prospect's individual recruiter is doing that.
Maybe the offense is a hindrance. But I look at the guys we've got on offense and I'm OK with them.

The offense will ALWAYS be the elephant in the room. Even when it’s not..

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
“his demeanor...”. Lol.

Recruits always comment on how they love his honest straight talk.

And what attitude towards fans? He said he wished he could do all his call in shows infront of a live audience and that he appreciated the fans that attended in the past.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
It frustrates me so much that 680 does a Georgia Gameday tailgate, and that 2/3 times weekly 30 minute segment with Chuck Dowdle (Bulldog roundtable?), and carries kirby's weekly press conference, but doesn't have simillar segments for us despite being our "flagship". For a while Chuck and Chernoff had a session with Bobinski, and there used to be a "Yellow Jacket minute" somewhere between 7:07 and 7:15 am every morning, but that's it other than games, and those get bumped for braves baseball whenever there is a conflict.

I wish I knew what to do to change that. I've written letters to Dickey Broadcasting, and done the same to ADMB and ADTS but nothing seems to be improving on that front.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
It's been this way for years. They have to cater to the dwags because of their huge fan base. Sports radio is fragile. Next time you're in the metro Atlanta area move your radio dial to 790, sit back and laugh.