Split the Baby? GiT&SU?

Would you be in favor of merging with Ga State?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
A lot of people talk about the need to add majors, expand the fanbase etc.

If nothing changed with the academic side so that GT remained GT, would you be willing to merge with Georgia State overcome some of the recruiting challenges?

I'm on the side of not changing, but I was wondering where some of the no-excuses folk and others are at.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'd like a modified program that adds valuable majors that more than just SA's can benefit from. I'd like to have more choices, but I don't want to sell out our core beliefs as an Institution either.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Now that GA State has their own football team, the dream of combining GT and State is dead.

We're better off pushing for easier liberal arts majors...

The point isn't whether it could happen but would it be something people would want to see.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I would absolutely go for emory. I don't have a tech degree. So I'm not concerned about it being tainted. Even though I think that argument is a little silly.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
If you think the mission of a school is to support the athletic department and not the other way around then I can see the reason to ask this. I think based on pretty much any evaluation that the academic side of things knows what they are doing. This is like the equivalent of an Alabama fan being upset with the team for not winning enough. GT kicks *** on the education side and should keep doing what they do.

Not football related but personally I think that the focus of the academic side should be on more investment into the college of science. Our Engineering and even our Business programs are top notch but GT should also be near the top for science education and research as well. I work in science research and there are so many people who haven't even heard of the school or ask if it's a 2 year technical school etc. Even places like Clemson and FSU (although they have a med school) are seen as a higher level from casual conversation. That's just anecdotal from me and has nothing to do with the question asked, but I thought I'd add something useful to the discussion.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I know we have a hurdle academically, but I don’t think that is our biggest problem. I think our biggest problem is $. We added some $ to the recruiting staff a couple years back and I think have seen an uptick in recruiting. More $ would help by adding support staff, recruiting staff, and facilities. I know we are nowhere near the top 25 in terms of spending. For some people, their expectations exceeded their commitment.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I want another 30 or so majors with some that don't require calculus. I still want to keep academics as a high point though. This imo would change recruiting drastically, add this in with a bigger staff and more money and we might be able to finish 20-30 in recruiting.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If you think the mission of a school is to support the athletic department and not the other way around then I can see the reason to ask this. I think based on pretty much any evaluation that the academic side of things knows what they are doing. This is like the equivalent of an Alabama fan being upset with the team for not winning enough. GT kicks *** on the education side and should keep doing what they do.

Not football related but personally I think that the focus of the academic side should be on more investment into the college of science. Our Engineering and even our Business programs are top notch but GT should also be near the top for science education and research as well. I work in science research and there are so many people who haven't even heard of the school or ask if it's a 2 year technical school etc. Even places like Clemson and FSU (although they have a med school) are seen as a higher level from casual conversation. That's just anecdotal from me and has nothing to do with the question asked, but I thought I'd add something useful to the discussion.

“Mission” , no.

But the athletic program has put the GT name into good light for many, many decades - at no cost charged to the academic side. Millions & millions of $ of Free advertising.

So the Hill should, no, has an obligation to, support the GTAA No Less than any other department on campus.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Dang it...why is there a panda emoji but not an eating popcorn emoji?!!

You're welcome.

tenor.gif

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
I think I would rather drop down a level to D2 if it came to that. The Ivy schools and such saw the way this was all going long ago, and went a different route. Really is amazing what we do with what we have to work with. No shame in saying no to what has happened at the D1 level. If we have to become like UNC to compete then I would rather move on......

Status
Not open for further replies.