Speed, Moves, and Blocking

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes speed. One possibly overlooked play that shows huge wheels was DJ White chasing down Connor before he got to the EZ. If you watch closely, DJ made up a full 10 yard deficit on Connor in the span of 70 yards. You may think Conner has no speed. Think again. Our own Jamal Golden was 5 yards closer than White and made up no ground. In fact, White made up 10 yards on Golden (5 behind to 5 ahead) over the same span. Great hustle? You bet, but some darned good foot speed too.

Also, one of the best one on one blocks you will EVER SEE was dished out by Shaq Mason on that 4 and 2 dive play (after the TO negated the first conversion on the toss sweep to Bostic). He drove that DT back 4 yards and put him directly on to his back. Man that was nasty.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Yes speed. One possibly overlooked play that shows huge wheels was DJ White chasing down Connor before he got to the EZ. If you watch closely, DJ made up a full 10 yard deficit on Connor in the span of 70 yards. You may think Conner has no speed. Think again. Our own Jamal Golden was 5 yards closer than White and made up no ground. In fact, White made up 10 yards on Golden (5 behind to 5 ahead) over the same span. Great hustle? You bet, but some darned good foot speed too.

Also, one of the best one on one blocks you will EVER SEE was dished out by Shaq Mason on that 4 and 2 dive play (after the TO negated the first conversion on the toss sweep to Bostic). He drove that DT back 4 yards and put him directly on to his back. Man that was nasty.

Boomer, that was the block I was talking about on the OL thread, it was an awesome display to strength and technique!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, that was the block I was talking about on the OL thread, it was an awesome display to strength and technique!
Yeah, I am just now making my way around this morning. Sorry to duplicate. I am just glad other people noticed it too. Awesome stuff.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Snoddy showed some good balance I thought and really kept his legs moving. I've always liked how he's looked running it. I guess with time at BB and such it's just taken awhile to get all the assignments down at AB. Sure looks good now.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The block by Days on Zenon's run was very like one called a clip on Perkins against UNC. I don't think either was a clip, but if we had been playing UNC or the pukes instead of Pitt, I think it would have been called.
That could have been very easily called a clip. Just a judgement call by the ref because it's grey. Really, either way is justifiable.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The block by Days on Zenon's run was very like one called a clip on Perkins against UNC. I don't think either was a clip, but if we had been playing UNC or the pukes instead of Pitt, I think it would have been called.

it was also like the call on Hill on JT TD run vs vt? interesting how so things do /don't go your way

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I loved that Zenon TD run. He basically just outran the whole Pitt D.

So many time I have been frustrated this year when one of our Abacks tried to make a cut instead of just running forward. Most of our guys are not going to get run down from behind. A missed tackle here or there and it's off to the races.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the ABs are usually waiting for blocks. When they get them, they speed up, but often that gives the backside pursuit a chance to limit gains. This time Zenon - and Snoddy too - saw an clear opening where they didn't have to juke and turned on the jets. The rest is history.

That'll probably do a lot for their confidence. I expect to see both of them make the best of their opportunities. I also expect to see Hill on the field more often. Perkins won't be 100% and we'll need his blocking and running to take up the slack

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A backs in the past have had a big issue with slowing down when nearing contact with defenders. They would prepare for a hit or juke their way to a tackle. This year they are going more down hill and speed cut verses juke. Cuts win, jukes get smashed!