Specific questions about CPJ backing

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Hold on. That is pretty significant difference in our favor. We spend 58% more than them on football.

We also have plenty of other advantages over them such as playing in power 5, fan support, tradition etc.

There is zero reason for us to lose to South Florida.

Did you miss the part that it woudl be dead even if they were picking up a coach like charlie strongs full bill? They are playing some money ball right now because strong is still being paid by texas.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Did you miss the part that it woudl be dead even if they were picking up a coach like charlie strongs full bill? They are playing some money ball right now because strong is still being paid by texas.

No. 7 million a year would not be going to Strong in addition to what he is making. Maybe a million.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
No. 7 million a year would not be going to Strong in addition to what he is making. Maybe a million.
They are paying him a million right now.

His 2016 salary at Texas was 5.2 million. Assuming he could be getting close to 7 million is not a stretch at all.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It is a huge stretch to think South Florida would pay him anything close to Texas.

He could have sat out of coaching for a year and potentially landed a bigger gig its happened before. The other thing to consider as that with texas still paying strong he got to spend more on coordinators, which attracted better cooardinators for the money than he otherwise would get. lets say that SF paid him 3 million ( about the same as cpj. with same cooadinator budget, that puts them at 13 million to our 17, do we out spend them? yes but not by much. I understand that your bias is to hate CPJ. But I have yet to see anything from you that suggest you can even think rationally on these subjects at all.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
He could have sat out of coaching for a year and potentially landed a bigger gig its happened before. The other thing to consider as that with texas still paying strong he got to spend more on coordinators, which attracted better cooardinators for the money than he otherwise would get. lets say that SF paid him 3 million ( about the same as cpj. with same cooadinator budget, that puts them at 13 million to our 17, do we out spend them? yes but not by much. I understand that your bias is to hate CPJ. But I have yet to see anything from you that suggest you can even think rationally on these subjects at all.

You couldn’t be more wrong about my supposed bias. I have supported CPJ up until this season. It’s clear that things have gone off the rails.

And you are flat botching the numbers on the South Florida budget. They would not be paying him 3 million more than they are currently paying him.

But even if they spent the exact amount of money on football as we do, we still have far more resources than they do. There is no resource they have that can match playing in a power 5 conference.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You couldn’t be more wrong about my supposed bias. I have supported CPJ up until this season. It’s clear that things have gone off the rails.

And you are flat botching the numbers on the South Florida budget. They would not be paying him 3 million more than they are currently paying him.

But even if they spent the exact amount of money on football as we do, we still have far more resources than they do. There is no resource they have that can match playing in a power 5 conference.

Well seeing as up until this year we had less resources available to johnson that ga state. Playing in a power conference doesn't mean as much,

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Where did you get this?

Did things get so bad just in the last 4 seasons?

Ok for probably the 80th time someone has explained this to you. Johnson had zero paid recruiting staff up ( outside of a overall on campus cooardinator role filled by hamilton for a bit)until TSTAN got here. That lead to the last 4 years worth of recruiting. And while we have had some wins on the recruiting trail it really speaks to the coaches ability to put in the extra time.

Ga state has had paid recruiting assets since their move up to the fbs. As many as 6 under elliot. That is just ga state.

Also unless you are alabama or clemson recruits now understand thanks the playoff that the conference means very little compared to the record and the name. SO unless you are constantly winning your conference and landing in the CFP i don't think it really matters. In order to do that you need a lot of help. Help we just aren't going to get at GT. The best we can hope for is for our staffing to reach a level where we can recruit nationally and attempt to pick up all the kids that normally we'd miss on. You know the kid that is choosing between going to some local fcs school despite being a really good player because he lives in the pacific northwest and oregon filled his position slot.

2014 was a year that had kids recruited under radokovich who was very much in line with johnson on football matters. He rolled out for on campus visits. These kids were recruited with the idea that another ACC championship was possible ( it was clemson had not become clemson so our only true competition was VT and FSU as we were i think 4-2 vs clemson when these kids would be recruited. They were there for clemson 2011, they saw us beat USC in the sun bowl in a down year.

Now the last bit under mbob? no buy in from the AD, a starved program a huge injury year, young teams. and no staff for johnson where even smaller school are realizing that bodies are needed for recruiting.

RiseUpATL

Banned
2.5 on the road. Would have been 8.5 at home.

No real way to sugar coat it...Tech should have won that game. The kick returns killed us. Tough to recover from something like that...pretty sad we let it happen twice.

Coaches should have never kicked it to them a third time.

rhino gold

Georgia Tech Fan
Not quite sure if you’re being serious or not, but we certainly are not short on our allotted coaching staff.

http://ramblinwreck.com/staff-directory/

Not all teams use special teams coach, so I am not sure of how necessary that really is. Given our offenses general performance, I think we could continue to work without. Monetarily speaking, I am not sure how we’d be able to pay for an OC given our current budget. Considering CPJ performs head coach and OC duties, his salary isn’t very much.

What I am not sure of is if corners and safeties need separate coaches. This is just not something I am familiar with. I know we have two line coaches because the line has been an issue. Considering it seems like there are still issues with the line, I am not certain I’d call two line coaches a success yet.

Ask the folks in Athens how important a special teams coach is. The pups now win games with special teams, they don't loose them like they did to the Jackets in 2014! Hell, they even had Kevin Butler as a grad assistant for special teams!!
We lost against USF because of special teams.
Drop the mike!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Ask the folks in Athens how important a special teams coach is. The pups now win games with special teams, they don't loose them like they did to the Jackets in 2014! Hell, they even had Kevin Butler as a grad assistant for special teams!!
We lost against USF because of special teams.
Drop the mike!
We lost the USF reason because Offense, Defense, and Special teams failed at critical moments. Placing the blame in one place misses how the game played out.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping to find specific answers to the following questions, as opposed to a generic statement that Paul Johnson isn't getting the support (presumably form the athletic department) that he needs.
  • Can someone please elaborate on what is meant by lack of support?
  • Specifically, who is not giving him support?
  • What is the nature of the lack of support (money, scholarships, resources, et cetera)?
  • Does anyone know why this is happening?
I don’t know if you were in the stands before warmups, but if you were, you saw the HUGE difference in support. The amount of staff they had on the bench is unbelievable. The commitment level of support is the problem we are experiencing right now. TS is working on it, but we are WAY behind. We have had no commitment for ten years or longer, until TS got here. You can’t have Ferrari dreams with a Pinto budget.