Special Teams

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Who coaches our Special Teams? Very few programs have a specialized ST coach. It's almost always done by a position coach. So which one of our coaches is responsible for coaching the product we're seeing this year?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know, but I have a theory why this keeps happening year after year. (when we don't have a kicker who can send it out of the endzone)

We all know we don't have the monster athletes that some schools recruit. Yes, we do have some talented skill players, and our guys play intelligently most of the time. And, I believe our coaches coach them up very well generally.

BUT, on kickoff returns, it is probably more about "mano a mano" than any other time, and we don't win many "mano a mano" battles. Just my theory. Not sure what coaching could do to have guys run faster and be tougher getting off of blocks.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a mix. Several of the coaches are involved, with each one having specific aspect as his primary responsibiliyy. I don't remember who has overall responsibility for coordinating everything.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It's a mix. Several of the coaches are involved, with each one having specific aspect as his primary responsibiliyy. I don't remember who has overall responsibility for coordinating everything.
The only phase that is causing massive issues this year is the kickoff team. Who coaches that unit?

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know, but I have a theory why this keeps happening year after year. (when we don't have a kicker who can send it out of the endzone)

We all know we don't have the monster athletes that some schools recruit. Yes, we do have some talented skill players, and our guys play intelligently most of the time. And, I believe our coaches coach them up very well generally.

BUT, on kickoff returns, it is probably more about "mano a mano" than any other time, and we don't win many "mano a mano" battles. Just my theory. Not sure what coaching could do to have guys run faster and be tougher getting off of blocks.
Kickoff receiving is not the problem. Kickoff team is getting us killed consistently.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
As if anyone needed convincing, an excellent place kicker is well worth a strong recruiting effort and scholarship. Kickoffs deep in the end zone negates a lot of ST weakness and an accurate, strong leg can put lots of points on the board in a season.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
As if anyone needed convincing, an excellent place kicker is well worth a strong recruiting effort and scholarship. Kickoffs deep in the end zone negates a lot of ST weakness and an accurate, strong leg can put lots of points on the board in a season.

Well we had that and then the kid punked us for Bama last minute so we had to do what we could late.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Why isn't JJ Green returning kicks? The issue is more the blocking, but I still thought he did a good job last year, even returned one all the way. 5th in the ACC in kick return average last year but only two chances this year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The difference today (other than that one horrible return) was that he started to kick them higher and to around the 5 rather than just booming line drives to the 1 or 2 yd line. It gave the coverage some much needed time and they made plays as a result.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
The difference today (other than that one horrible return) was that he started to kick them higher and to around the 5 rather than just booming line drives to the 1 or 2 yd line. It gave the coverage some much needed time and they made plays as a result.

Seems like there were a number of starters on kickoff coverage for this game compared to other games