Special Teams Improvement

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I just wanted to take a moment and give a shout out to our special teams. It seems they are finally “special” in a good way. Here are some highlights:

-Cimiglia 3/3 on FGs. When was the last time we were 3/3 on FGs? After a horrible first game, he has looked really good.
-KOs. Gavin Stewart, thank you! Almost every kick into the end zone, and the few they did run back didn’t even get to the 25.
-Shanahan, the Irish Wonderboy. He’s got a booming leg and there were a couple of big punts.

-The only downside was the blocked punt but even that still went 15 yards.

For waaaay too long, special teams has been an Achilles heel, but last night they were a strength. Way to go, coaches and players!

slugboy

Staff member
Punt coverage and punt returns have not been good this year. Whether it’s McGowan or someone else back to field punts, they almost always face a group of tacklers on every return. We haven’t been a threat to break one this year, even with burners receiving the kicks.
We did well to get the rest of our punts off.
Kickoffs are pretty good, but the best part is that we’re putting the ball deep in the end zone.
FG unit is getting stable.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I just wanted to take a moment and give a shout out to our special teams. It seems they are finally “special” in a good way. Here are some highlights:

-Cimiglia 3/3 on FGs. When was the last time we were 3/3 on FGs? After a horrible first game, he has looked really good.
-KOs. Gavin Stewart, thank you! Almost every kick into the end zone, and the few they did run back didn’t even get to the 25.
-Shanahan, the Irish Wonderboy. He’s got a booming leg and there were a couple of big punts.

-The only downside was the blocked punt but even that still went 15 yards.

For waaaay too long, special teams has been an Achilles heel, but last night they were a strength. Way to go, coaches and players!
In the first game Cimiglia slipped on one and the blocking broke down on another so neither were just bad kicks.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Does it seem like Shanahan takes an extra step while punting to the rest of you? The blocked punt didn't look like a rugby-style kick, but he seems to step forward twice. I'll have to rewatch on replay later today...I might not have been completely able to process things quickly last night :)

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
That blocked punt looked like we lost responsibilities because of all the pre-snap shenanigans. Shanahan is lucky he didn't break a leg on that one.
1632680868435.png

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Does it seem like Shanahan takes an extra step while punting to the rest of you? The blocked punt didn't look like a rugby-style kick, but he seems to step forward twice. I'll have to rewatch on replay later today...I might not have been completely able to process things quickly last night :)
Nobody touched the guy who blocked it. I don’t know that anyone gets that one off unless it’s rugby style away from the pressure. Still a special teams issue, just not on the punter