Special Teams as we end year. BOTH WAYS COVERAGE AND RETURNS

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My comments - we must coach and play solid in this area if we expect to be good.

Punt Returns
Hopefully coach will feel comforable enough raise his expectations of " just catch the punt". In pregame at vt I saw 4 catching some. He is very quick and very fast.

Kick off Coverage
Was VT first game for 93 to play on kick cover? He knows how to get by the blockers!
Also Who is the coach for this team.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
My comments - we must coach and play solid in this area if we expect to be good.

Punt Returns
Hopefully coach will feel comforable enough raise his expectations of " just catch the punt". In pregame at vt I saw 4 catching some. He is very quick and very fast.

Kick off Coverage
Was VT first game for 93 to play on kick cover? He knows how to get by the blockers!
Also Who is the coach for this team.
If I remember right we don't have a Special Team coach as of last year I think. We went with 2 OL coaches. I would think each coach does a ( little ) on ST.
Most college teams don't have a special team coach.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Until we get our kicking or our coverage fixed I cannot understand why we insist on kickoffs to their stud returner. For goodness sake kick it to somebody else, pooch it, or kick it out of bounds. Line drives straight to their stud returner is a plan for disaster right now.

I believe on two of our kickoffs against VT we did tee it up and kick to the other corner. Both worked but and then we reverted back to our norm.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
Jalen Johnson looked good on kick coverage had two tackles and a fumble recovery. PJ said he was the Special Team Player of the week. Simmons looked good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Why wait till end of year to be innovative.
Who is the protege for 93!?

Can he start on special teams next year DAY 1

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Only one bad cover in the VT game. Had a ton of starters out there.
Yep. Its hard to say that coverage improved when they had a long return that set them up for a TD, but … coverage improved. I was very encouraged until the long KOR. I got discouraged, then we went out and nailed it for the rest of the game. Encouraged again!

Now, if we can only get past that one pesky mistake in the next two games …

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Lamar Owens oversees the practice schedule and meetings. He coaches punt returns, I believe?

Other coaches have other groups: Speed has kickoff coverage, Sewak has PAT's and FG's, etc.

PJ says who coaches which group in the presser, normally I look things up/listen as reference but I'm too lazy right now ...

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Off topic, I admit, but some other teams are implementing some form of in-game "swag" for good performances by individual players. Miami's "turnover chain", for instance, comes to mind. If that's what it takes to heighten emotion and energize some players, maybe we need a similar item to recognize those loud, jarring, stop-them-in-their-tracks tackles that prevent third down conversions, create turnovers and make opposing WRs and RBs "hear footsteps coming". If KO and punt team players saw coverage tackles as a way to gain that immediate recognition, it might become really sought-after duty.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Off topic, I admit, but some other teams are implementing some form of in-game "swag" for good performances by individual players. Miami's "turnover chain", for instance, comes to mind. If that's what it takes to heighten emotion and energize some players, maybe we need a similar item to recognize those loud, jarring, stop-them-in-their-tracks tackles that prevent third down conversions, create turnovers and make opposing WRs and RBs "hear footsteps coming". If KO and punt team players saw coverage tackles as a way to gain that immediate recognition, it might become really sought-after duty.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

I guess you know how I feel about this.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

This fits Miami. The thing Tennessee did fits them. It does not fit us. Our players would hopefully see this for what it is: a high school type motivational tool that they have grown past. We want to be focused, and team first above all else.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Does Kirby Dumb have a thing like this? Do they have "The Golden Bong" they hand their players?
giphy.gif

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
You guys are ridiculous sometimes. The kids are different now. If we pass out a golden slide rule and it gets everyone on the sideline excited, then by golly do it.

Everyone made fun of Dabo for being a clown . . . I don't care how we win, or what we do to motivate guys to play harder so we win, JUST WIN. As a head football coach I'd wear foam fingers on both hands during the game if I thought it made my guys play harder.

Anything that gets the sideline excited, and the backup guys tuned in and paying attention, absolutely.