Writer and Analyst ACC Forecasts

slugboy

Staff member
Looks like Bill Connelly just started the ACC, with Syracuse

Their offense was HORRIBLE last season, and their defense ain’t great. This does not look like their year
5404124D-8307-4657-8AC8-3C099298CD02.jpeg

A great Radar chart is a big circle all the way around the outer edge. This is not great
15DF0042-0564-421D-89A3-1F81EB5FFAD2.jpeg

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like Bill Connelly just started the ACC, with Syracuse

Their offense was HORRIBLE last season, and their defense ain’t great. This does not look like their year
View attachment 10480
A great Radar chart is a big circle all the way around the outer edge. This is not great
View attachment 10481

Makes it that much more painful that we lost to them and made their offense look anything but terrible

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Makes it that much more painful that we lost to them and made their offense look anything but terrible
Remember...we flew almost to Canada to play in a football game that the ACC stopped right before kick-off thinking the covid monster had taken over the Carrier Dome. Starting/stopping/starting didn't help with keeping focus and developing momentum.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember...we flew almost to Canada to play in a football game that the ACC stopped right before kick-off thinking the covid monster had taken over the Carrier Dome. Starting/stopping/starting didn't help with keeping focus and developing momentum.
Oh for sure. And it was Sims' 3rd game in college and he had 4 INTs which seems pretty flukey and not likely to be repeated.

Still hurts though

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree with this, but we were inconsistent all year. That was certainly a down day. Given our youth and general lack of experience, that inconsistency was expected.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Oh for sure. And it was Sims' 3rd game in college and he had 4 INTs which seems pretty flukey and not likely to be repeated.

Still hurts though

Well they weren't exactly flukey, although I'd agree that if we played the game 10 times the 4INTs would likely be an outlier.

We similarly shot ourselves in the foot needlessly in coverage multiple times, bailing on a deep route to cheat against a run threat. I think this game is the clear example of lack of coordination in the secondary Collins was referring to. It's one thing to situationally cheat when you know you have safety help. It's quite another not to recognize you're on an island and intentionally let a guy run right past you if he wants. I don't know how much of Wake's offense includes option routes vs. good play calling in anticipation of our coverage vs. getting lucky the throw would be available at the right time we decided to let the guy pass. But I do know watching that game, we showed ourselves to be the superior team in every way except for everything we did to beat ourselves. That happened much more frequently than a typical season in 2020 for us, yet this game was particularly egregious.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't just 4 INTs, it was 4 INTs that gave them a short field. That's what made the score look like their offense was proficient.

It was Sims first real road game, and to an empty barn with loud music that should not have been allowed. He's a Florida guy, so the trip to Tally was different for him than the trip to Upstate NY.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Ugh. Please stop digging up the dead, just kidding. I thought I had buried that memory.

To be honest when you look at our staff- has seemingly tremendous potential but were very green. Positive outlook, they have learned some. It’s not a hard leap that CGC and company are not nearly as raw as 2019.

Players were younger and were being coached in mass confusion due to above. Positive outlook, players are more experienced now, less gaps in the wire and the inexperienced coaches are now more capable. All tending favorable.

What we’re missing now is positive program energy. I’m not talking the rah rah ATL bs, I’m talking the energy that comes from outperforming instead of underperforming. Those periodic occurrences when GT shocks the nation and pulls off an amazing upset or gets on a hot streak. We start doing that and stand the F by. Some people are gonna feel the pain.

slugboy

Staff member
He does one for each team?
He does—usually ordered by conference.
Ugh. Please stop digging up the dead, just kidding. I thought I had buried that memory.

To be honest when you look at our staff- has seemingly tremendous potential but were very green. Positive outlook, they have learned some. It’s not a hard leap that CGC and company are not nearly as raw as 2019.

Players were younger and were being coached in mass confusion due to above. Positive outlook, players are more experienced now, less gaps in the wire and the inexperienced coaches are now more capable. All tending favorable.

What we’re missing now is positive program energy. I’m not talking the rah rah ATL bs, I’m talking the energy that comes from outperforming instead of underperforming. Those periodic occurrences when GT shocks the nation and pulls off an amazing upset or gets on a hot streak. We start doing that and stand the F by. Some people are gonna feel the pain.
Last year seemed like the year where a group of team leaders would pull everyone into a closed door meeting and air things out and get everyone’s “mind rite”. It happened in year 2 for Ross.
My guess is that COVID stopped that from happening.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
2 of the ints were deep in Cuse territory, as I remember, so I don't know about giving them the short field. They were also on batted passes because we were down to walk-on TEs thanks to covid and were getting whipped up front as they were bringing the house on every down. Pretty sure we outgained them in yardage that game. Our corners got torched deep more than once too.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
2 of the ints were deep in Cuse territory, as I remember, so I don't know about giving them the short field. They were also on batted passes because we were down to walk-on TEs thanks to covid and were getting whipped up front as they were bringing the house on every down. Pretty sure we outgained them in yardage that game. Our corners got torched deep more than once too.

Outgained them 453-357, not a small margin. Offset by 15 penalties, 5 turnovers, 1 49 yd KO return, blocked 26 yard field goal. We earned that L in all possible ways.

slugboy

Staff member
Not SP+, but TheAthletic:

I hope and expect the turnovers and penalties to go down significantly, and the blocking to improve a lot. My biggest questions are interior DL and LB.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Not SP+, but TheAthletic:

I hope and expect the turnovers and penalties to go down significantly, and the blocking to improve a lot. My biggest questions are interior DL and LB.

I think the most exciting thing about our performance last year is that the principle barriers to success had nothing to do with athletic ability. We could have been a pretty good team if we were average in turnovers and penalties and the kicking game. This is not to say that athletic ability didn't limit our potential and keep us out of reach of Clemson at the least, but in terms of giving us a puncher's chance against everyone not in that tier, we were the ones standing in our own way.

This year is particularly exciting because the holes are being plugged, and we are not really depending on youth outside of QB.

Deleted member 2897

Outgained them 453-357, not a small margin. Offset by 15 penalties, 5 turnovers, 1 49 yd KO return, blocked 26 yard field goal. We earned that L in all possible ways.

Yep, that game reminded me kind of how we lost to Tennessee. We absolutely dominated them in most of the ways you could in a football game. But in a few critical ways our mistakes handed them a ton of points - our turnovers when we were about to score...our turnovers that directly led to defensive scores for them...missed kicks, etc.