Southern, Savannah State and #1 F$U visit

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Friggin Famous Jaimes, gets the walk and the save

I really thought with Winston playing football on Sat., and then coming back to ATL., his arm maybe a little worn out to bring him in unless they had to. He played OF some Fri. and did nothing. So, I thought they were saving him for their next series at all cost. What the heck was I thinking:wacky:

Like Eric wrote, "we still won the series". KUDOS! to our guys!! I don't care how hard it is to figure this team, they don't quit, and I'm proud of them no matter what!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was out today so I didn't comment. I'm very proud of our team and think that they should continue to improve.

They showed this weekend they can play with anyone. A far cry from the beginning of the year losing to Radford, VCU and Georgia Southern.

Beat UGA!!!!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Radford was a disappointing loss, but VCU is 25-7 and has a #21 RPI in the nation. They look like a definite NCAA Tourney team. Georgia Southern is 25-12 and #92 RPI, so not a terrible loss on the road. The Pitt series, where we were swept three games, against a team rated #108 in RPI, is by far our low point of the season, imho.

That was a great weekend, we came oh so close to a sweep (probably should have done so) but winning 2 of 3 was very nice. Now the key is whether these young Joltin' Jackets can take their show on the road and win. The next two ACC series are away from home (where we embarrassed ourselves vs Pitt on our last road trip). In terms of recent form and talent, we should arguably win 2 of 3 from both Maryland and N C State. If we go 3-3 I will be content.

Our pitchers just have to learn that they cannot walk guys. It frustrates me so much to lose a game where the other guys' winning rally had one base hit total. The only times FSU put together a run scoring rally was with our pitchers' help via walks. It kills us. If I were Howell (and Hall) I would give preference to closers who can throw strikes, rather than closers with the best "stuff" but who cannot throw strikes. To be fair to Clay, these two outings were his worst of the year for wildness, so I am hoping they were merely aberrations, and not the start of a trend. We will need him big time in the post season, which is looking more and more like reality after this weekend.

The guy I want to see a little more of is Schniederjans. His WHIP out of the bullpen is now 2nd best on the team (Clay, even after a poor showing this weekend is still our leader out of the pen). I also would find a way to let Wiseman get a few more innings, to see what he can do. Isaacs has his strengths, but he rarely goes unscored on, so to me he is more effective as first man out of the pen, or a middle reliever. Clay should be our closer, if he can find his form again.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We were one strike away from winning the third game against FSU. I thought the 2-2 to Winston was a strike. But its baseball and it works itself out in a 50 (?) game season.

I don't think we should see Clay again in an important situation until he proves himself. I would have pulled him after a walk and hit batter and not waited for the second walk. But Hall knows what he is doing and we won the first game keeping the pitcher in longer than I would have.

For me, there is no sugar coating the beginning of the season. We truly sucked and didn't deserve anything. This team has really developed and now deserves our admiration. I just hope that the football team can do that at some point too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We were one strike away from winning the third game against FSU. I thought the 2-2 to Winston was a strike. But its baseball and it works itself out in a 50 (?) game season.

I don't think we should see Clay again in an important situation until he proves himself. I would have pulled him after a walk and hit batter and not waited for the second walk. But Hall knows what he is doing and we won the first game keeping the pitcher in longer than I would have.

For me, there is no sugar coating the beginning of the season. We truly sucked and didn't deserve anything. This team has really developed and now deserves our admiration. I just hope that the football team can do that at some point too.

When did Stanton and Grimes get their surgeries?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When did Stanton and Grimes get their surgeries?

Stanton 2012, Grimes 2012???? I looked at http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/geot-m-basebl-mtt.html

My point is that when someone sucks for the second appearance and you have 20+ pitchers on the roster you pull him quick. You put him back in after he proves himself. With the sweep on the line with #1/2 team in the country, walking and hitting the first two batters is enough to show that it isn't your day and you should leave.

Clay has talent, just not yesterday. Stuff happens. Are you saying he needs Tommy John surgery? Hope not.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Stanton 2012, Grimes 2012???? I looked at http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/geot-m-basebl-mtt.html

My point is that when someone sucks for the second appearance and you have 20+ pitchers on the roster you pull him quick. You put him back in after he proves himself. With the sweep on the line with #1/2 team in the country, walking and hitting the first two batters is enough to show that it isn't your day and you should leave.

Clay has talent, just not yesterday. Stuff happens. Are you saying he needs Tommy John surgery? Hope not.

Thanks. For some reason, I was thinking that they were both coming off surgeries this year as an explanation for improvement over the beginning of the season. I really wasn't paying much attention until the Duke series sparked my attention, the Mercer-Pitt week lost it, and now this past week has sparked it again.

I don't really have an opinion about Clay.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What is amazing is that we don't have Cruz, King and Pitts as starters and are doing as well as we are!

I understand the manic-depressive attitude. I have it too. I didn't plan on watching the Duke series, but saw the come back in the first game of the series. Then too much Kool-Aid. But it's fun to get excited about a GT team that performs.

I don't have an opinion on Clay as an individual, only that performance should be what keeps you on the field or gets you off the field.