Southern, Savannah State and #1 F$U visit

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, I'm guessing FSU let's this guy finish the game even if the score gets to 20.

It's 12-0 now

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Roberts gets 3 up 3 down in top of 8th. 3 more outs with 8 run lead. Leegggoooo Jackets!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sneiderjans wasted a few pitches in striking out the side.

Great day for GT today. I hope we aren't ranked after this weekend. Just make it to the ACC and NCAA and win the last game. That's all I want.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
We're definitely hot right now. Hope we keep it up. I've only been following the team since the 2010 season but it seems this is the most pitching depth than we've had in that time.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Springsteen on the stereo, beer from the tap, hamburgers on the grill, took the series from the #1/2 team (used to be) in the country. Life is good.

We aren't any good, all we are doing is playing a game.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I was working in the yard but came through the house a time or two while the game was on, the first time it was 5-0, the second was the final of 12-4. Who are these guys?????? :D

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
And we have Grimes starting tomorrow. I'm guessing it's against their ace. It should be interesting.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A sweep will be a big help to get us a chance to play on May 20th!

As I started off saying, we just need to keep playing well. It'll probably jinx them, but we have only 1 error in two games. Plus there were some beautiful MLB caliber defensive plays by Spingola and Justus yesterday.

Plus something else we haven't seen on The Flats in a while ......swagger. Not since JN and the boys.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That was a great atmosphere at the Rusty C yesterday. Good crowd, had trouble finding a place to park, FSU fans were decently nice (surprised at that) and Jacket fans were really into it, especially early when it was a tight game. The roar that went up in the 2nd inning after we turned the DP was quite loud. Then we did what I never ever expected us to do...pound FSU's pitching.

As of this morning, GT leads the entire ACC in batting average. We are 6th in pitching ERA. I have been dissing our offense, but I guess I will shut up now, GTNavyNuke's theory about the bats warming up as the weather warms up is clearly correct!

Gorst was the only disappointment yesterday, and the disappointment was not the long, LONG home run he gave up to Stewart (I don't think I have seen a longer homer all year!) but the two walks to lead off the inning. He's a kid, and he knows that was dumb, and he was getting on himself on the mound, but both walks came around to score (as walks so often do). Just think about this....FSU hits for almost 10 points lower batting average than GT does (0.289 vs 0.280) BUT they have a huge lead in runs per game (7.4 vs 5.8 because they draw walks at a much higher rate than we do...or most anyone else, for that matter). Walks lead to runs, pure and simple. The rest of our pitchers (Stanton, Roberts and Schneiderjans) all walked only one guy total in their 8 innings. That's how you pitch FSU.

FSU, by the way, has scored the following in 3 game weekend series against ACC teams before this weekend:
Miami 24 runs
Maryland 23 runs
N C State 23 runs
Clemson 18 runs
B C 27 runs
N D 23 runs
GT has held then to 7 runs in 2 games thus far.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll update the chart on temperature later .... and add in the RPI of teams so you can see them on the chart.

Realize that the stats of us leading the ACC in hitting and 6th in pitching are for the entire season. I would think if you only took the last month, our average would be even higher.

Also, don't we lead the ACC in DPs? (The bad thing is that there are people on base a lot, the good thing is the twin killing.) Plus there are many great defensive plays turned in that don't make the stats - two yesterday I can think of. I think that gives our pitchers a lot more confidence to just go throw.

Finally, this is a very young team. The roster has 14 Fr, 7 So, 7 Jr and 4 Sr. Finally, 6 of the fielders who regularly start are Fr or So.

Gotta go help someone move a boat so I'll miss the first half ..... I missed the first 3 innings Friday night so someone else is the talisman.

Go Beesball!! :brb:o_Oo_O:smuggrin: